dealing with the itch...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garnethawkins

kinda obvious wouldn't ya say?
Reaction score
Gday guys!
since the warmer months have kicked in between work and the rfs i haven't had time to scratch my self let alone scratch the skid plate or wet a pan, so i was wondering, how do you guys deal with the fever when you dont have the time? its driving me nuts atm :mad: 8.(

Sit on the forum of course! Also like to test out my gear learning the detectors inside out and all their little idiosyncrasies. Also spend time cleaning all the gear, buying new gadgets and accessories to play with, even go detecting in my own yard, but have pretty much dug everything up bar the underground gas, power lines and the next door neighbours cat.;)

Summer is a real pain re gold detecting, day after day of +40 degree days, so not chance of heading for hills for a detect, better off having a wade in the ocean with the Infinium, or some night park detecing.

Hey garnethawkins I feel your pain! And this is only my second post so feel honored!! lol
Have been hanging to get back up to a spot near Alexandra here in Vic. which has had almost
no detector coverage but due to a number of reasons out of my control it hasn't been possible.
So in answer to your question, I always keep a healthy supply of wash dirt from whichever
auriferous areas I have been in (correctly labeled of course) and when I'm feeling a bit stressed
then I pan said wash dirt right here in my backyard in beautiful Glen Iris, Melbourne.
Hope that helps!!
Cheers,
Autarky.

Hey Garnet how are you going with that private property you were talking about before? Any luck there yet or didnt it pan out?

With the heat wave gone for now I'll be heading back to work which means a prospecting drought. Next weekend will be my last weekend digging for a while. As I said in other posts, I camp on the job for up to 12 days at a time, no problems with that, I love the solitude and there's no phone or comp signal and only a 12 volt power supply. I can go days without seeing anyone.
Now to relieve the itch (fever), in my job the temptations are always there for example, there's a storm, soon as it passes or the next day I check to see if the gullies or creeks are running if so I'll set up the mackirk, throw in a heap of wash and let it run through while I'm working. Now there's no known gold deposits on the property but there are gold fields not to far away as the crow flies so one never knows what one will find. I've found black sand, iron stone and quartz ect.
If there is a wet day (rare) I may duck off to the nearest gold field and have a dig and fill a few buckets with wash to process after work.
Reading a gold, gem and treasure magazine or any gold, gem or mineral related book is not a good idea.
I guess I'm lucky to have a job like this, at least I can relieve the itch to a certain extent, you people stuck in towns, cities must go through severe withdrawals, the temptation to dig up your backyard and your neighbours as well or to knock out their gold teeth must be overwhelming. :D
Mick

yes the itch is bad I have container with sapphires in it and I look at them some times I have some concentrate that I sort on my light box which is a draw painted white with a light mounted in the middle and Perspex sheet on top really shows up the sapphires that I missed but nothing really beats been down in the river :)

kleinman98 said:
Hey Garnet how are you going with that private property you were talking about before? Any luck there yet or didnt it pan out?

this post actually relates directly to the offer to head out to that property lol, because of the distance required to travel id need at least a couple of days up there to make the trip viable, and shortly after gettin the offer i started a new job with Australia post and at pretty much every weekend has been very high fire dangers so I've been on call alot and thus just haven't had time to even consider checking the place out :( .

axeman i am so jealous! in a year i am yet to find even a gram of gold so for me heading to the goldfields is more about getting away then about striking it rich lol

autarky, i do feel very honored :D, just wish i knew how busy i was going to get of recent id have brought home a trailer load of dirt :lol:

as for detecting, i completely cleaned out my yard in about 2 months when i first got my detector, learning the sounds etc, was surprised just what was hiding under my own lawn and even more surprised by some of the things depth, dug up a faucet well over a meter deep...

Latest posts