New to PA, just saying hi! :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, im Ace, i have been into prospecting my whole short life (25 years) but only just started getting out and sluicing, metal detecting, crevicing, etc the past 3 months or so!

Ive been looking through the PA forums the past few months and i am just amazed with how nice the people are on here and how willing everyone is to lend a hand or just give some much needed advice! That is absolutely awesome! So i decided to join up and be part of this awesome community! To give help/advice where need be and to receive help/advice when in need! lol

I cant go without mentioning Wal n Liz! All They're videos are so informative and helpful in guiding people in the right direction! I have to thank them on behalf of the thousands of prospecters around the world for giving us the much needed information and tips we need to follow our dreams of becoming successful prospectors! (by successful i mean happiness & stability, not millionaires lol) And also noticed how damn helpful they are in their comments and on this forum! Ive just never seen such nice people willing to spend their time advising and helping people out and guiding people to decent locations! Of course no one in their right mind would expect any prospector to give their best spots away but letting people know the spots where they filmed and sluiced themselves and pointing new prospectors to those decent spots can make a world of difference for a new prospector! To give us the confidence and knowledge that their is definitely alot of good minerals for us to get out and find! And to me Knowledge is wayy more important than a sluice, metal detector or any kind of wash plant or thing you can buy with money! If you dont have the knowledge you wont get anywhere!

So Thanks Wal n Liz! We can not show how much we appreciate the help you guys have given us! Im Sure you have changed the lives of mannnyy prospectors around the world for the better!

It has been great getting out and finally doing some prospecting! I have set up the home made sluice twice, both times in Ophir, we took samples from sofala way around a few different spots and had a decent day or 2 metal detecting up there. it was awesome fun, we didnt fing anything with the detectors but the samples we brought back from sofala had about 15 flakes, there were 4 buckets from different parts of the river, i know where most of it came from but there is no water up there to run a sluice :(

So we went to Ophir! we spent bout 5 - 6 hours all up over 2 saturdays sluicing, ive been adjusting and making lots of changes to the sluice and the riffles in between the weekends, its now running alot better then those 2 runs we had, all up everything so far we got is only about .3 of a gram lol, my brother and i are happy! Thats the main thing lol, its not much at all for the time we put in and the money spent on the trips and equipment, but its a start and alot of people go and dont get anything at all the first few times! so we are happy.

We are going to invest more time in test panning and finding a pay streak to work instead of just setting up on a gravel bar and hoping for the best lol. Il Post some pics of the gold and the sluice in a bit, just have to upload them to my pc.

My girl freinds birth stone is sapphire and id like to take her to grabben gullen to sluice for some stones and gold lol.
im sure if the sluice is working properly and isnt losing over 10% and we run for 3 or 4 hours we should get a better return then we got in ophir and we should get some sapphires aswel! lol bout .1 of a gram per day of sluicing at ophir. (1 day is only 3 or 4 hours of sluicing due to the drive and walking down to the spot to set up) im sure theres still decent gold in ophir, we just have to spend the time to do the test panning to find the decent spots.

Il just take her down do a few test pans try find a nice little spot and start sluicing! :) cant wait!

Are we aloud to setup a sluice and petrol pump for the water, along the turon river? The upper turon rd looks like it has private property both sides of the river, the rd is a public dirt rd with those cow traps, am i aloud to park up on the grass and walk down to the river and sluice? i just dont want to break any laws or screw with someones land, i just want peaceful prospecting sessions with not many people around lol I found a few nice run offs and gravel bars, s bends and id like to go test pan but theres no point if im not aloud to sluice there.

Thanks everyone! Nice to meet you all, im from the campbelltown region incase you were wondering lol.

:)

Wow big intro and alot of questions but you do seem to have the right attitude , to help with your questions grabben gullen has very minimal gold and most people leave with none , but you should get some nice small saphires , it is only a small area unless you access the adjoining private land , i would be more tempted to seive and pan there picking good crevices and dumps of heavy type stones rather than setting a banker up trying to do quatity but thats just my opinion . Welcome aboard. :D

Welcome aboard. Just to save on frustration unless you have a walbanker you'll be pretty much wasting your time sluicing for Sapphires, sieving is way better, not much gold at GG either, mainly just Sapphire and Zircon.

Welcome mate.
1457062680_1476364148.gif

Thanks for the welcome guys! hey Heatho, yea its similar, no grizzly bars, 1/4" screen must be manually processed and we can see everything quite well, anything below 1/4" will hopefully get caught in my riffles, i made my riffles to catch gold, but hopefully the below 1/4" stones will get caught in my riffles, the research i have done has led me to use the L plate on an angle, this seems to create the best vortex for the gold to get caught behind the riffles, and the miners moss from bunnings! lol (thanks Wal!) As anyone knows home made highbankers are constant learning curves and constantly being modified to suit the individuals needs. I havnt gone with the bread crate z or L cut out pattern that wal recommends not because i dont trust it or dont like it, but i already had all my materials sorted before i saw wals vid on making the highbanker, i can change over at any time and i intend to take out my riffles and expanded metal to give wals method a try and see what works best for me.

My riffles start getting closer to each other as you go down to the front of the sluice where the water runs off, doing this helps the water flow alot more uniform and makes the bottom riffles work just as well as the top riffles. Has anyone seen or heard of this before? I suggest you look further into it and do some experiments yourself if you dont already know about it.

I also learnt that the riffles closer to the hopper should be a tiny bit bigger than the ones down the front end and gradually get smaller bit by bit as you get down the front of the sluice, this also works like spacing them out and has the same effect, helps keep the flow even as the water loses power as it travels over each riffle, as wal mentioned in his vid if you narrow the front end a bit this will also help keep the water flow even as it loses its power over each riffle.

If anyone feels my research has lead me in the wrong direction please feel free to let us know what you have learnt over the years! So we can verify what is true and what is false! We all deserve the access to decent knowledge and info to guide us in the right direction! Without people like you guys it would of been alot harder for everyone to learn what we know! So lets try point/guide people in the right direction, if i am wrong in any way please feel free to discuss with no hard feelings! I like to think my research is correct, but there is tons of misinformation on all different subjects out there so its up to us to verify what we learn!

Thanks guys, i will try post a pic of my highbanker asap so you get the idea.

Welcome Ace

greetings from Brasil !

Este um grande forum, com muitos bons companheiros! tenho certeza que voc vai gostar e pode acreditar em mim, voc no vai conseguir ficar longe desse wonderful forum!

Latest posts