Dangers of prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shows how careful you need to be around old shaft areas in general & not just the obvious still open ones.
Don't know if I would have been poking around it with my pick though - the whole lot could've opened up by the looks of how easy it was breaking away :eek:

Welcome to the Victorian goldfields. Great video and a very timely warning. Folks, its a very dangerous hobby at times. The tone of his voice says it all - 'how many times did I walk over that". Tarnagulla is normally Ok, but up on the old reef workings anywhere is dangerous. Detect here, you take your chances and lots of of old diggings - about 99% are not fenced or marked. Safest place? Detect in a park or on a beach. Never, ever walk backwards or close to an edge- but this is an example of no rules apply, and the recent rains will cause a lot more of these little surprises.

I've found a spot at Sunny Corner like that, bummer we had already walked into the middle of the area, quite a few little holes just like that one opening up. Wilsons Reef was the name of it, down the end of Daylight Creek Rd, I will not be going back to that spot.

elrodeo said:
The big question is ... Did he fill in his hole ??

The bloke who found the hole in the video said this in a comment:

The site is now completely sealed off with a fence and warning signs everywhere, My near one has probably saved the life of someone, All I hope is that I don't come across another mine shaft in the same fashion.

:cool:

Wow! I hope he bought a lotto ticket after that. :eek:

That's the same reason the DPI had to prevent fossicking on the fields here years ago. Some holes were covered with concrete caps in the 80's then covered with dirt. The caps would then wash out and fall in, leaving only a thin covering of dirt over the holes -which could be anywhere from twenty to eighty feet in depth.

Perhaps a few pokes from the sides of the mullock heaps with a long thin rod may help indicate any hidden open shafts before running the detector around or over them.

Cheers for posting mbasko!

Shauno.

The luck was finding the hole,
Headlight on,now let's venture inside
What can we find??

:lol:

My question is how dose a hole get sealed like that, im thinking it could have had timber on top then covered over and the timber has rotted.?

I rot this in my welcome thread.....
"I stumbled across a old iron water tank lying in the bush just off a track so off I go down the gully thats dark and thick with furns, I stopped to look around dreaming of all those bottles, Thank christ I looked down because my next step was strait down a shaft, WTF. Who would expect to find workings here!!!!"

That's is scary and considering he prob wasn't the first to be standing on top of that.
Heatho, I know the ones your talking about, and thought the same at the time, but it wasn't super deep.
I read in another topic where a guy dragged a 400m rope to find his way back to car(long story short), this might be a good idea and tie off to trees, it would also force you to cover the area better if your tied off and move every couple hours lol!

A simple probeing rod is usefull in these situations, i made one and have used it quite a few times after a tip of an old prospecting friend who fell down a coverd shaft some time ago, luckily for him it was quite shallow.
1.2mts - 1.5mtrs of 316 stainless steel shaft, 12mm in diameter, glue a handle on the end and tape it up (so you dont spear yourself in the belly) and sharpen the other end, if in doubt spear the ground around mulloc dumps, small or large.
Another technique is one used in underground mining to check for loose large rocks, tap the ground with your pick, if it sounds drummy (hollow) means there is a cavity below.
One lucky SOB, however i would not of continued breaking open the hole "murphy's law".
If you find one of these and dont have a way to report it strait away, lay some large logs accross it to barricade the area off, the time taken to report it and have action taken sometimes can be days dont want anyone else falling down it. ;)

Gippy said:
My question is how dose a hole get sealed like that, im thinking it could have had timber on top then covered over and the timber has rotted.?

Reviving another old thread, I know, but I've seen a couple of mines that were stoped upwards from a tunnel, right to the surface or just below it. So it doesn't necessarily mean that someone covered the hole up.

Probably the best thread to revive mfdes I'm glad I have now seen it , sure will change my thinking if I am ever walking on "iffy" ground thanks to Mbasko for posting. Don't mind spiders or snakes but that is genuinely scary to a prospector

Cheers

Certainly something to make the heart pump! Ill never forget as dylanpennack23 yelled out 'I found a hole!" excitedly.. within seconds I was running over saying move back quick! Luckily he had only found an air pipe 8" diametre and not a shaft like this vid.

A not too hard detector midification may be able to detect deep holes like a GPR. Even if you think you know an area.. things like these pop open all the time. I don't know whi the local planning genius was who gave permission to the yarra valley builders to put houses right on top of alluvial ground.. I'm just waiting to hear the bad news.

Reading the ground lads is all important.

Not only looking at cap rock and vegatation, but also being able to spot the area your in as a whole picture.
Are you in a syncline gully or are you walking upslope towards an anticline summit?
Can you see large mullock displays usually evident in shafting and therefore stoping?

Can you spot dipping ground due too sliding overlay around areas that may hide unstable cover?

Any evidence of old, worn down barrier protection moved out of place from days gone by?

Always lift your eyes from the coil every few minutes and not only pick your path of forward movement, but learn to interpret what that path its trying to tell you.

Stay safe out there lads.

;)

Latest posts