D.I.Y snake gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people are spending $2,500 - $10,700 on all types of detectors not to mention hundreds on coils and accessories but can't be bothered with spending a bit on some personal protection ..... good luck to the skilled DIY guys hope all of you also carry proper compression bandages ......
I use and wear Snake Protex during warmer weather, great fit, cool, light and give me peace of mind .......
http://snakeprotex.com.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/SnakeProtex_Brochure_2012.pdf
May your next strike be gold and not from an angry brown.
Cheers T.

Explorer385 said:
Cut the feet out of an old pair of ugh boots and turn them skin side in.
They won't bite through fur or wool.

Terry ( just to show I'm being serious too)

Will have to keep my eyes open at the local opp shop or Vinnies..

An old pair of long ones would be great...

Why not some scrap wood = $nothing, just need a longer shaft.

1436699187_capture.jpg

Teemore said:
Most people are spending $2,500 - $10,700 on all types of detectors not to mention hundreds on coils and accessories but can't be bothered with spending a bit on some personal protection ..... good luck to the skilled DIY guys hope all of you also carry proper compression bandages ......
I use and wear Snake Protex during warmer weather, great fit, cool, light and give me peace of mind .......
http://snakeprotex.com.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/SnakeProtex_Brochure_2012.pdf
May your next strike be gold and not from an angry brown.
Cheers T.

Your right to a degree.
I certainly can't afford to buy a detector for a while but I do a lot of fossicking and with summer coming around (eventually) some will have to think of ways to make each dollar stretch as far as it can.

I get a lot of great info from some of the blokes and girls here and diy gaiters is not such a bad idea for us economically challenged people.

I think long ugh boots with the feet cut out could be a goer.

Coupled with candy stripe tights, footy shorts and a glass of Harvey wall banger - guaranteed to be snake proof. Lol.

Terry

If there's people who can afford the $10,000 - $2000 detectors and can't pay for their safety then yeah fair enough, something is up there.

Cheers for the extra input guys. Teemore - I'll make the compression bandage when I need it ;)

I'm just a bit concerned about the amount of users who refuse this info and hope that one day they will remember posts like these when there is no store in the bush for money to buy gizmos and gadjets to save them.

I know I can self sustain at any extreme with absolutely no gear.

Thing that worries me about threads like this is that i doubt a lot of the DIY stuff would work.
And worse it will give the wearer of said DIY solution a false sense of safety/courage.

Instead of just not walking in long grass keeping eyes open ect.

I also have snakeprotex as well.
Cost a bit but well worth it but, Would not stop a Death Adder at full tilt.
Those bloody things can go through a leather boot easily.
3 and a half foot of angry snake with 12mmm fangs.
Mongrel things. :mad:

If you can't trust your own work when you make something with your own hands then your right, don't attempt diy. Its that simple.

I didn't mean for this to be an opinion thread, just informal for those who have the interest in the subject.

I'd quite happily take on a challenge of diy gear vs top of the range gear if I didn't see that it would be a pointless exercise as the results would not be too far from equal.

The pool cover bubble wrap is hardy stuff if you haven't seen it. 2 layers is ~8mm plus the jeans. Plus, evidently as a strike with fangs coming in perpendicular say - as soon as the fangs make contact their 'jaws' begin to close so even if a 30' monster with 20mm fangs hits, then the effective depth or penetration is less than their fang length. Have only heard this down the grape vine. If someone has better than opinion I'd love to know - but fact only. These are easy to rip apart and dry out o'night. Sheep skin sounds good but might be difficult to dry out before next session. I tried gum boots. Heavy, v heavy.
1436862845_gaiteronboot.jpg

1436862859_gaiter_top.jpg

Absolutely awesome mate, they would work fine out in the scrub! I feel like goin mythbusters style n make a "snake bite contraption" to test em out ;)

My neighbour is a snake breeder as well so I could do a proper test..

I like them too,
Lots of red belly blacks and some Browns at Grabben Gullen. Because of the bubble wrap they won't weigh too much if they get wet.
Terry