D.I.Y snake gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day All has anyone made there own Snake gaiters as I'm a bit of a tight ass and if I can make them and save some money all the better so any help would be Great I was thinking of maybe cutting down some old gum boots what do you think would they stop a snake bite

cheers Ted

Duct Tape? :D

Here's some reasonable looking gaiters for $15, bargain.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131465730812?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$_57.JPG

( aarrgg.. I forgot to press the submit button earlier today and and to re-write this )

After having some more intense close calls with the ol slithery friends in the bush, most likely would gain a gold medal at the olypics with the height they make you jump, i thought id google some diy gaiters and share what ive found.

Since im always on the cheap side, or wanting to know what to use in an emergency ive found:

Duct tape wrapped around jeans, several layers, right down nearly to the toes. you can put any padding under the tape for extra thickness.

A couple of newspapers / magazines wrapped around your shins will do a temporary job.

On a less temporary basis and you have time to prepare them before your trip:

Hdpe, pvc plastic can be heated and bent to shape around your legs, a soft cloth lining for comfort and sewn between kevlar, canvas or leather. Straps or a clip system sewn on will suffice for equiping to legs.

You want to mold 4 seperate sections, from knee - ankle ( two parts, front and back ), and also the front of your ankle / boot to the toes, followed by the ankles to your boot sole. Have all four sections held together loose with webbing so it cannot constrict movement.

85% of snake bites are below the knee.

I just figured as I was researching this, id share my learning and thoughts on the subject.

Ariat workhog boots and put your jeans over the top.
your feet don't get as hot coz the heat raises up out of them, they might be $200 but you will get a few comfortable years out of them.

The Mongals had the best armor.... But it was dependent on trade with china....

When in Japan some years ago I saw some light weight leg protection made from the same process.

Would be great Snake garters... Never crossed my mind, until the first post triggered my memory..

Detecting in the bush the otherday, I was worried about snakes, but thought they would be less active during winter, so I risked it. The newpaper idea is great thanks. Wonder if 2 litre plastic coke bottles, could be used the same way.

For anyone a bit confused with the easy molding I've suggested, all you need is an oven, a vacuum some recycled hdpe bottles or plastic and basic woodworking skills to make the vacuum form box which basically has a hole for the vac underneath, and a perforated top.

Hdpe gets to a nice forming stage at roughly 180'c and has no smoke but a slight fruity scent.

Throw a form onto the vac table, place your heated sheet onto the form and box then turn on the vac and wait till its cool and formed in shape.

There's plenty of YouTube vids on vacuum forming diy

rocketaroo said:
Detecting in the bush the otherday, I was worried about snakes, but thought they would be less active during winter, so I risked it. The newpaper idea is great thanks. Wonder if 2 litre plastic coke bottles, could be used the same way.

By the looks of it, anything you can layer up will work indeed. Bark from trees would work too as well as fluffy bunnies. :D

Don't let the weather fool you. Its soaking wet out here and just a week ago there was a copperhead coiled up where deer had flattened the swordgrass in a patch. Yet again another trickle down the leg.

Post up pics when your done...

The Mongols used layers of silk.

It is light and a tight weave... Was also the layer closest to the skin for a number of reasons.

DIY ??? manufactured, purchased gaiters are $50 to $70 to buy. Google them, it's a cheap enough insurance policy you know will work. Especially when you consider what has been spent on the detector, prospecting equipment and trips out there.

"In an emergency" if you aren't wearing gaiters to begin with, I would suggest the emergency occurs after you've been bitten, too late.....

I have a set in the car all the time when out prospecting, the only time I don't wear them is in open ground with no undergrowth, where I can see what's on the ground.

My only question has to be, "Is your life worth $60?

Thats a great find LC76 and cheap too, id buy them. As id mentioned, I thought id just share my thoughts, and I personally like to make my equipment so its always custom sized for me and also so I can make my own alterations. Each to thier own I guess mate.

condor22 said:
DIY ??? manufactured, purchased gaiters are $50 to $70 to buy. Google them, it's a cheap enough insurance policy you know will work. Especially when you consider what has been spent on the detector, prospecting equipment and trips out there.

"In an emergency" if you aren't wearing gaiters to begin with, I would suggest the emergency occurs after you've been bitten, too late.....

I have a set in the car all the time when out prospecting, the only time I don't wear them is in open ground with no undergrowth, where I can see what's on the ground.

My only question has to be, "Is your life worth $60?

You get to your location, unpack your gear and pull out the detector. You realise that the last morning when you packed your gear, you left your gaiters on the roof where they fell somewhere along the last 40 minutes of bush and road.

You have two days left on your holiday, but the grass is dense by the outcrops, sun is hot, and the gaiters are gone, but all you have is your detector and that useless manual booklet.. or is it not soo useless now ;)

2 pairs old jeans. Ideally one baggy. Two sheets swimming pool cover - the harder blue bubble-wrap type. Cut the jeans off a bit below your knee height. Place the thinner jean leg inside the baggier jean leg and sew around the bottom only. Repeat for your other leg. Cut the bubble wrap so that its just shy of the jean leg height but overlaps a bees dick when wrapped around your calf.

Simply roll the bubble wrap and slip it into the leg. I tuck the top inch or so of one jean over the bubble wrap.

Slip on before putting your boots on. It just slips down over your boot. Hot air rises up and out. Sweat runs down. You can wash 'em easily. They take up little space. Cost zilch. But that bubble wrap is hard to get.

They work great, I find them comfortable and without little ties, latches etc. But untested to be honest. Leave it for you - please reply if you make it back.

Snake proof bubble wrap! Who'd have thought?

Probably work though.

Hey darling, could you sew the legs off these jeans onto the legs of those jeans for me please?

Why?

So I can put some snake proof bubble wrap in them.

You've been drinking again haven't you :(

No dear I'm for real.

You idiot!!!

Terry

Jon_m / k_man - thanks for adding onto the thread with more make shift ways to make these leg protectors.

Not everyone likes to buy all the gear even if they can, because honestly, there's no difference but a brand name in most cases.

Latest posts