Cudgewa, Lucyvale, Shelly, The Legend of the Lost and Forgotten Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
I've spent a bit of time down that way (still got a house in Cudgewa) I remember an old chopper digging at the end of Thowgla. I would imagine you would still be able to spot his diggings on the left pretty much where it goes bush. Must have found something decent around there as he spent years digging on that same corner my mates had told me.
Cheers,
Burden

burden said:
Hi all, I remember an old chopper digging at the end of Thowgla. I would imagine you would still be able to spot his diggings on the left pretty much where it goes bush. Must have found something decent around there as he spent years digging on that same corner my mates had told me.
Cheers,
Burden

G,day Burden, Yeah I ve heard that story or something similar as well but I could not find the drive that he put into the bank ( it was visible from the road ). I didint know he was a copper though.

jethro said:
Hey ozzie
Have a pan in the creek at Staceys Bridge I got a bit of colour there yrs ago. Youre a bit limited if you cant go on dirt rds.

Yeah Stacy's Bridge would be easy to get too, only a little dirt & a good road so that might be ok, might be able to use someone else's car to go for a look.

It could be, I haven't been there for a while. I had organised my daughters car to use while I was there, but there has been a slight change in plans, I probably won't be going now unfortunately. The joys of sharing a house & living with my younger (know it all) brother.

Hiya Jethro,

Yeah, nah not copper, chopper. It wasn't a drive, just diggings. But the old fella must have moved quite a bit of earth. It used to be pretty blatant where he was digging right next to the road on the RIGHT sorry, not left (I only just realised I wrote left). Last time I went past would have been 02 or 03, it may be overgrown with blackberries or some other fauna now or just mellowed out through erosion, dunno. Pissah of a place though, love it down there! If there was more work in the area I would be down that way for sure.

old timers kept there gold places secret I have been told of one place by an old timer his dad used to ride a horse to the location I checked it out guess what water board no access I believe where there is smoke there is fire lot of rich gold to be found yet Australia is massive country ;)

Always knew koetong and shelly as having a lot of tin ,
I remember years ago with my dad getting tin from under the main road at koetong creek where it passes under the highway ?. No idea why just a bit of fun while camping . Anyway it was loaded with tin as the tunnel under road was corrugated and it was easy to collect ?.

I also have done work in the pines at shelly and have herd about gold mines around that area

Mandissa said:
Always knew koetong and shelly as having a lot of tin ,
I remember years ago with my dad getting tin from under the main road at koetong creek where it passes under the highway ?. No idea why just a bit of fun while camping . Anyway it was loaded with tin as the tunnel under road was corrugated and it was easy to collect ?.

I also have done work in the pines at shelly and have herd about gold mines around that area

Thanks for sharing Mandissa I to was told that to by a few locals that own the surrounding properties when I was younger, and if researched you do mainly find tin mining in the area leaving some to think nothing more of it, after reading some post in this thread makes me think there could be a lot more gold than many think... Cheers ;)

Hi all again,
They have been exploration drilling around the area for years. . . Got a decent amount molybdenum from a particular mountain easily found on Google and a few years ago did some exploration drilling at a property of one of my uncle's at Tooma and got gold. . . Just not enough to be financially viable. . I dare say it would be the same result all along the great dividing range . . But like I said before, beautiful place to spend a bit of time chasing colour

burden said:
Hi all again,
They have been exploration drilling around the area for years. . . Got a decent amount molybdenum from a particular mountain easily found on Google and a few years ago did some exploration drilling at a property of one of my uncle's at Tooma and got gold. . . Just not enough to be financially viable. . I dare say it would be the same result all along the great dividing range . . But like I said before, beautiful place to spend a bit of time chasing colour

Yeah Dart Mining Is the name of the company. They have a website that outlines there exploration tenements & activities. Its worth a read as it gives a few clues as to likely areas for alluvial gold. There seems to be a bit of upheaval at executive level which has been ongoing with resignations & sackings on the board.

My daughters ex partner was working for Dart Mining just out of Corryong a few years back when they were drilling near Mt Elliot, think they were testing for gold at first but found Molybdenum & then started drilling for that. Mt Pinnibar might be another area they were drilling for gold & Molybdenum as well, the name rings a bell.

I remember hunting wild dogs & deer out near Tallandoon, there was a big old mine up in the valley, looked like alot of dirt/rocks had been taken out, took nearly half an hour to walk to it through the bush, then up on another bit of the hill there was a costean or 2.

Well worth a go. I know some people with property out that way myself that has a creek running through or along the back boundary, might have to contact them when I get up there next. There's a few area's up there & in the area that would be worth a try.

I met an ole fellow when I was out detecting one arvo back quite a few years ago the old fella scared the bejeeezus out of me when he tapped me on the shoulder whilst I had my headphones on, anyways we got chatting he told me where he lived and what have you and then started telling me stories of yesteryear and gold that was found, one particular story had me by the short and curlies, an old timer back in mid to late 20's regularly camped under a big grey box tree with a small wheel barrow, in it were his pick shovel billy and swag, the old prospector this time was dead, the property owner was the old fella I was talking too's father, the prospector apparently had been going through this property for quite some time pushing his old wheel barrow back and forth to Bendigo, in it was large amounts of specimens, on many occasion the old prospector would stop in at the farm house for a cuppa and a chin wag, the old fella I was talking too told me that he remembers as a kid holding potato sized Quartz rocks filled with gold and that he used to sell them in Bendigo, as the story continued it came out that as a young lad the old prospector was one of George Lansells exploration miners, paid to go out and sink exploration shafts for the King of Quartz.
I ended up back at this old fellows place for a cuppa with him and he showed me the wooden wheel barrow pick and shovel, the old billy hung in his shed, I asked about the swag and what happened to the old prospector and he said that his father buried the prospector in his swag under the old tree with his gold that was found with him when he died, his father said it was respectful not to take the gold but to bury it with him, the old fellow told me if you were to ever find out where the old prospector was getting his gold from you would be a rich man, I never have found where the old prospector was mining, and since then the old fella I meet that day has since died, the property has new owners now and don't seem the least bit interested in this story, the wooden wheel barrow has since been lost/destroyed thrown out who knows, finding out that this had been done by the new owners of the place I thought it best not to tell them about the old prospector buried beneath a big old box tree on their property.
So i guess this story will turn into one of those myths, I've searched quite a few times for where the old prospector was getting his gold from but with no joy, each time I head out that way the bush seems to look a little different every time, having found out the old prospector was apparently one of Lansells exploration miners I can only have at a guess that he kept a spot on the quiet and went back later in life to work it, I'm guessing with the rate of pay old Lansell would of been offering I would of done the same thing. ;)

Dig up a couple of stones next to the old prospectors grave so you can see the type of rock he was getting gold in ,... that'd give you the best clues of all ,... and then you could get it checked geomagnetically to see where it came from. (if that's not a myth). ;)

silver said:
Dig up a couple of stones next to the old prospectors grave so you can see the type of rock he was getting gold in ,... that'd give you the best clues of all ,... and then you could get it checked geomagnetically to see where it came from. (if that's not a myth). ;)
It doesn't actually work like that mate if the prospector was "buried" with his gold under a grey box tree, testing stones from around the grave will just tell me the stones came from around the grave under a grey box tree!
Your not suggesting grave robbery are you Silver :eek: :lol:

Just a looksy ,... not all of them ,... you know , just to see the type of rock ,... surely they would have thrown the stone in on top, I recon the old fella would rest easier knowing someone had found it (his gold spot) finally. (Maybe) ,... just don't touch those bones of his at all,... or he could steer you the wrong way is all (ha).
I wouldn't be slipping a ring off a bony finger either. :eek:

silver said:
Just a looksy ,... not all of them ,... you know , just to see the type of rock ,... surely they would have thrown the stone in on top, I recon the old fella would rest easier knowing someone had found it (his gold spot) finally. (Maybe) ,... just don't touch those bones of his at all,... or he could steer you the wrong way is all (ha).
I wouldn't be slipping a ring off a bony finger either. :eek:
The grave is on private property mate and as I said earlier the new property owners weren't to interested in the story, I think I was more disappointed with the missing wheel barrow and tools than anything else, the prospector wasn't digging around the tree that's just were he would camp on occasion, Mrs dwt and I every now and then go for a drive out and around the area but I've tried not to get hooked on the whole maybe just maybe thing, one of my neighbours has spent the best part of 20years on and off looking for the lost McIVOR Highway Robbery Gold that happened in and around Heathcote Victoria back in the day, lot of time spent looking for gold instead of going out digging for it.
Love your enthusiasm though Silver ;)

Well we've all got to leave something in the ground for the future to chase dwt, be it myth, legend, or a pot of gold, silver(or copper) ,... I'm sure the thrill of the chase won't wear thin across the veil of time. ;)

Latest posts