Ctx Madness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treasureman said:
Cool ring . The beach has opened itself up for you

Sure has TM, some beaches around here have nothing on them and then others have heaps, maybe some beaches get detected regularly and some are just overlooked.

Loving the number of silvers there, will be keen to see how they clean up. :eek: Is there still mostly sand covering everything over there, or are you down to a rocky or clay base? :)

Cheers fellas,

GP, no clay or many rocks mainly just course sand and shell grit layer, most beaches here have really soft sand but this one seems harder, maybe that's why there are so many good targets here. They are all very toasted, all melters I think mate. :)

Hit Dee Why beach again today, 3rd hunt there this week. Pretty much cleaned out nearly every target in front of the surf club and still no gold there.... Got plenty more silver coins but no rings today at all. All that would be left now would probably be a few BB's, ringpulls and 5c coins.

All up got 94g of silver coins and rings there from the last 3 hunts and about $50 in moderns, only really detected right in front of the surf club, I did from the club right down to the low tide mark, that's where most targets were concentrated, either side of the club there was not much at all.

The tractor was there early and was moving sand around and dragging it down to the high tide mark, buggers. :)

1465972189_20160615_144728.jpg

1465972189_20160615_145733.jpg

1465972189_20160615_145806.jpg

Goldpick said:
Loving the number of silvers there, will be keen to see how they clean up. :eek: Is there still mostly sand covering everything over there, or are you down to a rocky or clay base? :)

Found the clay today GP right up the back near the club, was very mineralised and the CTX really didn't like it at all with a high gain, had to drop down to 10 to get it stable, a couple of pre dec came out of the clay too.

Heatho said:
Goldpick said:

Found the clay today GP right up the back near the club, was very mineralised and the CTX really didn't like it at all with a high gain, had to drop down to 10 to get it stable, a couple of pre dec came out of the clay too.

That spot is silver nirvana Heatho, wish our beaches were anywhere near as productive down here. :|

The clay base sounds like a good trap for the heavies, otherwise the gold might be further off the beach if there is nothing to trap it further up, or if the sand is too deep. I've nearly always find the heavies being located further out from your typical coin lines, an abundance of lead sinkers is usually a good sign that you are in the right spot. In Adelaide during times of excessive erosion, the rocks get exposed at the low tide line which tend to trap many of the heavier items. Don't seem to get much lighter non-ferrous junk (pull tabs, ring pulls) in these spots too, mostly lead, iron, and the odd older coin - and with luck, some gold. Probably explains why my beach scoop crapped itself after a while levering up all the rocks. ;)

GP, I think the storm we copped was so ferocious that it scattered the heavies all over the place, there was no real pattern to it, just random stuff everywhere. Though you could be right that a lot of the heavier stuff could be out in the gutters in the surf but I walked out at low tide onto some flats where the surf is at high tide and there was nothing, bit of a weird scenario but yeah the beaches were totally smashed to pieces. All the silvers I found must have been very deep and were just spread out by the storm as the sand was stripped away. Most light junk was gone but was still some there.

Thats what we have found, no thick concentrations, just different areas, at different levels with sparse patches...but no sinkers, or gold. Maybe the good stuff will stay out of reach?

rocketaroo said:
Thats what we have found, no thick concentrations, just different areas, at different levels with sparse patches...but no sinkers, or gold. Maybe the good stuff will stay out of reach?

I think after a storm like the one just past might have been an exception and just spread stuff out everywhere being so powerful, maybe it will take a while to concentrate the heavies in certain spots again... I don't know to be honest, beaches are very dynamic, I guess this is where us novice beach hunters need to do a lot more reading on the subject and put the theory into practice.

I was among the heavies but I guess gold can always be elusive, I think also having luck on your side helps too on any particular day.

I think the good stuff was well within reach at the spots I was doing as I did get 4 rings, they were just the wrong colour. Well silver is a good colour too but yeah some gold would have made my week. :)

el cheapo 925, a slight breeze would blow it a finger! The stone in that bling ring looks good, prob just glass, but it wouldave got you excited for sure.

Latest posts