CTX madness 2017

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my CTX battery is dead. 8.(

My battery has just done exactly the same thing as Silver05's. It ran out while detecting yesterday, then I got home and put it on the charger, one light solid green and one green flashing, looks all good. Checked it about 6 hours later and green light was still flashing, connected it back onto the detector and it had no charge at all, detector started then shutdown...

Will leave it on all day today but this seems really weird, oh well, hopefully won't need a new one.... Will see after today.

Hi Heatho,
Not good news about the 3030 battery, if you have to purchase a new one you might like to consider grabbing a GPZ 7000 battery, a tad more expensive than the 3030 job but they last a bit better than twice the run time of the standard 3030 battery and they balance the 3030 well when swinging the big 17' coil; they are my go to batterys these days, works great.
Cheers, SinHof.

Heatho said:

My battery has just done exactly the same thing as Silver05's. It ran out while detecting yesterday, then I got home and put it on the charger, one light solid green and one green flashing, looks all good. Checked it about 6 hours later and green light was still flashing, connected it back onto the detector and it had no charge at all, detector started then shutdown...

Will leave it on all day today but this seems really weird, oh well, hopefully won't need a new one.... Will see after today.

Jeez Heatho thats bad luck. I see that they are about $200-00 to replace!! :eek:

Sandta said:
Well done Heath , but look out .... seems you have some stiff competition on here :lol:

Sure is mate, some very respectable tallies in the threads here lately, great to see people doing well.

Jaros said:
Heatho said:

Jeez Heatho thats bad luck. I see that they are about $200-00 to replace!! :eek:

Yeah was $200 Jaros, bloody expensive but hey whaddya do? I was sitting here festering on it and thought bugger it and drove out to Miners Den at Parramatta and got a new one. For your $200 you get the new version with upgraded seal, 2 spare seals and a new upgraded AA battery pack, so it's not bad value, was going to upgrade anyway so I'm not too upset.

Not sure how many hours Sandta, would be quite a lot though. I bought it on 21 July 2015. Bit over a year and a half, I expected it to last longer than that though.... The batteries only have a 6 month warranty period. :rolleyes:

B5MECH said:
Ahh bugger :rolleyes: hope you sort it out quick :rolleyes: Don't need anyone seeing you out do us all with the aldi special :eek:

Will be back in action in no time mate.

Sinhof, I ended up just getting the standard one as it had the upgraded version, much better seal/O'ring supposedly. It actually locks onto the detector a lot harder too I noticed. I think you got the newer version when you bought yours didn't you? The new seal is grey, old one was red.

Yes mate, the seal in my battery is dark grey, good to see you're back in action.
Cheers, SinHof.

SinHof said:
Yes mate, the seal in my battery is dark grey, good to see you're back in action.
Cheers, SinHof.

The new one feels like it really locks in much better than the previous version.

Glad to be back in action too mate, just fired it up and it lives. :D

Pity about the battery pack, would have thought the lithium battery would last longer than that, even with your frequent usage - might be something to do with the electronics maybe?? Still a decent goldie haul, and those threepences tend to get flicked all over the beach being so light, pretty much the same deal with 5c coins. :)

Thats interesting Heath, I got my CTX May 2015 and have pretty much had to charge it once a week since then so maybe 90 to 100 cycles and it is still going strong. Wonder if that is their life span or a cell dropping out or maybe charger. Now I am wondering if mine is going to go.

goldwright said:
Thats interesting Heath, I got my CTX May 2015 and have pretty much had to charge it once a week since then so maybe 90 to 100 cycles and it is still going strong. Wonder if that is their life span or a cell dropping out or maybe charger. Now I am wondering if mine is going to go.

Mine was going strong too GW, then while out detecting the other day the power in the battery seemed to drop a bit quicker than usual, I was using the external speaker and had the 17"coil on so didn't really think too much of it. Then tried to charge it and was a no go. :(

I wouldn't worry too much about it failing, I guess it just will if it's going to, I must have just been unlucky. The detector shops seem to always have them in stock though and didn't seem too surprised at the failure though.....

I reckon mine must have been getting up near 200 cycles or more as I probably recharge it 2 to 3 times a week.

Yeah well I only ever get 2 years out of a phone lithium ion battery, mind you I spend a lot of time on it in a day and charge every night but towards the end of contracts the battery barely lasts 3 hours so they do tend to lose life and you use your battery pretty hard compared to most detector batteries. Kind of okay when a couple of days in the parks and new battery paid for.

I have used it pretty hard mate, still I did expect more from it but yeah you're spot on about the lithium ion batteries, they work great for a while and then just start to pack it in. I have done pretty well with the CTX, hopefully the new one lasts longer.

GP, I'm sending it up to member Anger Management on Monday as he wants the circuit board in it, hopefully he can tell me why it failed and I'll post his info in here. You could be right about the electronics failing.

Hi Heatho,

Thanks for sharing the info on your CTX battery, good to be aware about things like this. (Just in case someone is having a similar issue or even if anyone is thinking of purchasing one of these models.)

Hope you get a chance to give the new battery a whirl soon.

Cheers,
GDG Bec. :)