conveyor metal detecting system idea!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20x

scott
Reaction score
hi all,

ive had this crazy invention in my head for over 3 years and I thought I would share it.

picture this... a conveyor set up level(no incline) with multiple metal detector coils mounted under it(facing up) all plugged into a single metal detector process/analysis computer. as the material moves along the conveyor and over each coil its anylised and if a target is detected the computer then activates an electric servo motor that opens and closes a gate in a hopper at the end of the conveyor. the delay on the servo would have to be tuned in perfectly to the speed of the conveyor to catch the minimal amount of material containing possible targets!

your thoughts?

scott and trina :cool:

the same idea has been used for diamonds, they use x-ray instead of coils and push the ore off the belt when they detect a diamond instead of opening a shoot.
this idea would not work on fine gold though.
in hay export joints they use metal detectors over conveyors and the belts stops when metal is detected allowing you to remove the contaminated hay.
so if you have a lease full of big enough nuggets it would work.
regards tm

trenchfighter...stop thinking with ya guts lol ;)

trashmagnet...you have made some good points on this idea ey,stopping the conveyor has made me think maybe thats exactly what it would need to do to work.
my thoughts on how and why...
make they conveyor continueously start and stop eqaul to the distance between each coil so there is time for each analysis sent from each coil to be processed by the computer. i'm thinking the material may need spacing out by a gated hopper at the feed end to mimik the start and end of sweeping left to right...??? :)

I don't reckon you would have to space the ore to mimic the end of each sweep, think about a drag coil they just go in one direction with no stops, so a mono drag coil set up over a conveyer would work, but then again any coil would work.
if you wanted to use a dd coil it would need to be set up side ways but a mono would be best.
you would need to crush your ore so it sits at the same hight on conveyer so you could have the coil close to the ore and not get hit by bits sticking up.
regards tm

Sorry but It's been done before in wheat conveyors to remove metal , and a similar thing for grading wheat except a jet of compressed air shoots the defective granules of wheat out of a falling stream of wheat.

If using detectors they use nylon rollers and fibreglass components around the coil instead of steel

Congratulations for thinking though and keep thinking

i agree...
a single coil would be the cheapest version but i reckon MULTIPLE coils plugged into a single unit mimiking multiple sweeps would open the door to discrimination of junk???.
the whole pourpose to this idea starts with being a possible new approach that combines every other method to the good old prospector digging in a creek,be portable,light weight,effective,affordable,operates both wet and dry and processes any type of material,battery-less,generator free and is quiet!!! conveyor frame would need to be plastic to eliminate any interference with coils. single 12volt high-torgue electric motor powered by a portable solar panel...???

Interesting. I watch a lot of the modern marvel series. Top stuff. Anyhow...they had a episode of potato chips. Ok...where am I going with this you ask?

Well...believe it or not...EVERY chip you eat is scanned and if it's not up to par...is blown away from the line. I couldn't believe it but, that's what they do...because they can.

The same concept could maybe work for this idea...I just don't know how.

Keep dreaming and hoping...that's all we have.

rc62burke said:
This system is used to scan the the oversize exiting say a trommel.
Lee

yup . i would like a relay set up so if the detector gets a signal it sets off a small flashing light

just the beep wouldnt be loud enough to hear in a speaker over the noise of a pump and the rattle of a sluice or trommel

unless you wore headphones connected by wireless then you might pick it up

it could save you that 45 minutes spent scanning tailings after you finish highbanking / trommelising

and the added value that if you do find a big nugget in the tailings you would dig with more vigilance in that spot rather than finding out after you have packed up all your gear

im a fitter at simplot down here in devonport. all our frozen vegetables once bagged go onto a conveyor belt that goes through a donut shapped metal detector if there is a defect the next belt has a servo motor controlled arm that swings across it and pushes the defective bag into a hopper.
Ben

GOLD Billyen said:
Interesting. I watch a lot of the modern marvel series. Top stuff. Anyhow...they had a episode of potato chips. Ok...where am I going with this you ask?

Well...believe it or not...EVERY chip you eat is scanned and if it's not up to par...is blown away from the line. I couldn't believe it but, that's what they do...because they can.

The same concept could maybe work for this idea...I just don't know how.

Keep dreaming and hoping...that's all we have.

lol...funny you say that mate, 20 years ago i worked as a production machine operator at a milk factory, it was like the ultimate working machano set to me lol. all the filler machines and conveyor drives were electric but everything else was hydraulic and operated with light sensors. that was the time of the first ink-jet coder that sprays the ink through a digitally controlled field in dots (refer to a date code on a 2lt milk bottle)...anyway,an awsome experience but my favourite was this mechanism that stood any bottle upright before it entered the conveyor, it was a simple device with 1 moving part but i could only imagine the amount of protyping it would have taken to design it.

scott :cool:

benmick6 said:
im a fitter at simplot down here in devonport. all our frozen vegetables once bagged go onto a conveyor belt that goes through a donut shapped metal detector if there is a defect the next belt has a servo motor controlled arm that swings across it and pushes the defective bag into a hopper.
Ben

interesting as...i never would have thought that bagging vegetables,harvesting wheat and perfect potato chips would have anything to do with gold...this is what i love about it! :)

HeadsUp said:
rc62burke said:
This system is used to scan the the oversize exiting say a trommel.
Lee

yup . i would like a relay set up so if the detector gets a signal it sets off a small flashing light

just the beep wouldnt be loud enough to hear in a speaker over the noise of a pump and the rattle of a sluice or trommel

unless you wore headphones connected by wireless then you might pick it up

it could save you that 45 minutes spent scanning tailings after you finish highbanking / trommelising

and the added value that if you do find a big nugget in the tailings you would dig with more vigilance in that spot rather than finding out after you have packed up all your gear

another interesting point made...
my thoughts....

how many times has that 45mins not been spent because of not having a detector?

how many piles of tailings were made by machines not fitted with anything like this?

I wonder how many specimens of gold,gold ore and mineralised gold are in the piles around the world that have been missed?

I wonder what the probability of scanning tailings with a device like this that's finely tuned to find 1 single large, is to processing virgin ground of today for lots of small?

im not into tailings AT ALL but this idea did come from me watching piles of tailings on goldrush and noticing that they never talked about them and didn't say anything about anyone watching that pile!

scott :cool:

yup

guaranteed

many detectorists get their nuggies from such places in old mining areas

and i am sure i have left a bit behind in the past too

its about the efficiency or the system you use.

is it well designed , is it well tuned on the day , are YOU well tuned on the day ?

all factors that influence the gold in your cup at the end of the day

Many places around here in the Triangle have been put through plants in modern times - Nuggety Gully area near Tarnagulla (the plant is still there), the lead up on the old rifle range up near Dunolly to name a few, some of the Inkerman out near Moliagul. No-one I know made a great deal after costs.

loamer said:
Many places around here in the Triangle have been put through plants in modern times - Nuggety Gully area near Tarnagulla (the plant is still there), the lead up on the old rifle range up near Dunolly to name a few, some of the Inkerman out near Moliagul. No-one I know made a great deal after costs.

and the endless fields of arc shape tailings from the dredges in the Klondike? :)

20xwater said:
loamer said:

and the endless fields of arc shape tailings from the dredges in the Klondike? :)

too far to walk.

this type of system is used on a lot of conveyors, first the product goes under a high powered magnet and then under the metal detector, if any metals have been detected it automatically drops a flag on the conveyor and shuts it down. process employees then dig thru the product untill they find the offending piece of metal

Latest posts