Bad Back Ideas?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guipago

Geoff
Reaction score
A lot have them & it makes detecting & digging a problem, I have started using this idea, find the target your going to dig, push in a white golf tee,can have barrier tape on it, go find another target, keep going until your sick of this. Supercheap, Repco etc have small fold-able Plastic(no metal) footstools about 8-10" high, sit down & dig targets, the other part to this harebrained scheme is to have a spare coil that can plug into your detector which is not attached to the unit so your not bending & straining lifting a GPX 5000 out of the way when the pick is in action(or pulling on headsets), just the coil or maybe another lighter detector broken down, your also not bending over to dig targets(beer could also be involved) once you have unearthed your 1oz nugget pick up the kit & caboodle & move to the next target. Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the second coil idea as I have an ExTerra 700, SDC & GPX to play with.

Instead of another detector or coil, That's what pinpointers are for. I don't think too many folks can find multiple targets to mark at the same time either. It's only happened to me a couple of times in 40+ years unless you're digging coins of course.

This was one of those times, all within 30 odd foot area.

1614919502_nz_nuggets.jpg

Pin pointers certainly have their place, I used one on a good hit that turned out to be a bit of barbed wire tine 8" deep & was getting nothing until very close, had to use the sdc to let me know I still had a target in the hole, this is the situation I'm trying to make easier, not dragging a detector over the hole to confirm a target.

Nice panther well done great haul there hope it happens again cheers Muk.

Never had much of an issue swinging the detector with a bad back (old recurring disc/ligament injury in the lower lumbar), though I've certainly done damage and have been put on my back for several days as a result of digging deeper holes repeatedly. I haven't really found much of a solution for that issue as yet other than the kneeling upright technique (mentioned in the posts above) while digging, but this isn't always possible, particularly in tight areas of scrub, or areas full of cactus or crawling with Ticks as we've found out in the past! :lol:

The coil weight issue (particularly on the Zed) is easily remedied by a bungee cord harness hooked onto my water backpack. I hook up two bungee cords when running the 19" coil for a few weeks at a time. I have one positioned normally up on the shaft just underneath the handle and I also hook one of Nenad's (PhaseTechnical) longer cords down to the shaft about a foot up from the coil. The addition of the second bungee cord was a lifesaver. The only time it needs to be adjusted tighter is when swinging up a good slope. Flat ground is a breeze.

Cheers,
Shauno.

My back is 100% now, but every now and then I can be out of action with sciatica, at short notice.
I dont detect until I am confident it has passed. Last time was the worse, but only 3 weeks, I know some live with it all the time.

Syndyne said:
Never had much of an issue swinging the detector with a bad back (old recurring disc/ligament injury in the lower lumbar), though I've certainly done damage and have been put on my back for several days as a result of digging deeper holes repeatedly. I haven't really found much of a solution for that issue as yet other than the kneeling upright technique (mentioned in the posts above) while digging, but this isn't always possible, particularly in tight areas of scrub, or areas full of cactus or crawling with Ticks as we've found out in the past! :lol:

The coil weight issue (particularly on the Zed) is easily remedied by a bungee cord harness hooked onto my water backpack. I hook up two bungee cords when running the 19" coil for a few weeks at a time. I have one positioned normally up on the shaft just underneath the handle and I also hook one of Nenad's (PhaseTechnical) longer cords down to the shaft about a foot up from the coil. The addition of the second bungee cord was a lifesaver. The only time it needs to be adjusted tighter is when swinging up a good slope. Flat ground is a breeze.

Cheers,
Shauno.

Good advice, I just pick up a 19 inch for the zed and was wondering about the extra weight and my back/neck/shoulder issues.....will be testing out the double bungee idea! thanks