Condition of tracks in G.T.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randolph

randolph
Reaction score
Hi all. I have accommodation booked for the Laancoorie Bash and plan to head over from S.A. on Thursday. I was wondering what condition the tracks are in. The rain is still coming down heavy in S.A. Do they close the tracks during the rains and are there still areas open to prospectors. Anyone with a crystal ball as to the weather outlook? Cheers Randolph

Generally tracks are not closed - too many of them for Parks Vic etc to close. Some tracks will be closed because of forestry operations but these are not often. The tracks in most places do drain well but on the lower ground of gullies, creek crossings etc they can be a problem. There are plenty of places to detect around Laanecoorie Lakeside Park. Cays diggings, as I mentioned in the link Bigwave posted above, is the closest. There are shallow, deep, alluvial, elluvial, reef workings etc etc to try out and its a big area - you can even walk there from the park - a couple of kms away and there is even a run of diggers holes at the caravan park itself. Most tracks at Cays are 2WD friendly, if you are concerned about any minor tracks, just park up on the harder higher ground and walk to the diggings. Hill and Dale track drains very well and there are KMs of diggings very close to it that require no driving on the minor tracks. See Paula (park owner) as she has maps you can check, she has the directions for Cays and she did have copies for about $22 of Tully's 'Tarnagulla Goldfields' map book for sale.

Tarnagulla - Little Nuggety/Nuggetty Gully, Poverty, Jim Crow Flat - tracks are all open. Old Newbridge Rd to Corfu open but take care at the intersection where it meets Poseidon Rd - wet and claggy.

Llanelly (Durham Reef) to Maiden Gully area - OK but track is rough.

Long Bush - tracks are very slippery - my advise DO NOT drive/park off the tracks- the ground is historically very soft at the best of times.

Timor and Bet Bet - last report that some roads are closed.

Goldsborough - tracks open in most places but wet and muddy on the low ground. Big coil country.

Wanyarra/Jones Creek - open but water in creek. Check the causeway before entering - access via Prices lane is fine but take care at 90 degree turns- wet.

Dunolly - wet diggings area blahhhhhhh!!! but all else OK. Lost of water in the Old Reservoir, very pretty tracks muddy.

Maryborough - last report all tracks open.

Just back from weekend at Maryborough & Dunolly , all tracks were good...The ground is soft had a lot of signals from hot rock turned to half mush red clay , digging big holes on great signals but then nothing very frustrating...The weather should be clearing up by Thursday , enjoy your trip.

Laaneccorie - that's the Lakeside Caravan park in the distance.

1475460781_lanners_weir.jpg

More road closures - strongly recommend checking the vicroads site. Another point to note - sections of the Tarnagulla to Laanecoorie and the Newbridge to Laanecoorie roads are single lane sealed roads. When driving on the shoulder for oncoming traffic slow right down as the shoulders of the roads are very slippery. Not confirmed but the Dunolly to Maryborough/Bendigo Rd is cut at Eddington - near Freemantles Bridge - no access to Laanecoorie via this way if correct-I am not driving down through Ankers to check it. Access to Laanecoorie from Dunolly via Wanyarra is still open. Access to Laanecoorie via Newbridge is still open on Newbridge Rd at this time. If it goes under, access from Newbridge will still be via Tarnagulla.

rego7 said:
Not confirmed but the Dunolly to Maryborough/Bendigo Rd is cut at Eddington - near Freemantles Bridge
Water is over the road at Dannes Bridge

Latest posts