Compact 4x4 Motorhome - Recommendations?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting ready for a Spring expedition into Western Australia.
Not keen on a 4x4 pulling a trailer or caravan.
Anyone have or used a 4x4 compact motorhome in the conditions expected in WA gold fields?
Will only be one of me.

JJ you really don't need a 4x4. We've travelled extensively throughout WA goldfields and providing you are in a high clearance 2WD you'll get to all but the outlying areas. We used to travel in a Mazda T3000 bus and never got into difficulty. However WA does have a lot of sandy areas so you need to know your vehicle and have some knowledge of handling a vehicle in the bush.

If you need a 4x4 it takes a lot to go past a diesel Toyota Troopy. They've got the space and excellent offroad ability.

More like a x ambo campervan than a motorhome,

I am very happy with the sprinter, just wish I had the 4wd, still made it up the Birdsville and the Savannah Way last year, only got bogged twice :eek:
1521646455_img_20170720_075111-2448x1836.jpg

1521646497_img_20170609_075444-2448x1836.jpg

1521646764_img_20170709_071638-2448x1836.jpg

Cheers David

I know a fella with a hyundi I load, with bigger wheels, and serious off road tyres, he gets most places a 4x4 goes.
Has a bed,tv and shade awning off it, tows a small trailer with other good stuff, like water.

How much cash you willing to spend? A Iveco daily maybe or a decked out toyota landcruiser troopy set up for camping. The sky's the limit

I saw a wicked Unimog with a camper mounted on the back. Need s step ladder to get into the back but!
It has turned around over the last few years, instead of a 4x4 towing a camper or carvan, the motor homes are towing a car! Seems back to front to me.
Personally I would stick with the original way. A troopy towing a small caravan. And the troopy has got great room for storage.
Then for a wild rough track, leave the van at the caravan parked and go explore with a swag.

Got to agree with the troops idea if youre limited to not towing a van.
About the only th8ng that brings them undone is people loading the roof racks too high and changing the centre of gravity

mudgee hunter said:
I saw a wicked Unimog with a camper mounted on the back. Need s step ladder to get into the back but!
It has turned around over the last few years, instead of a 4x4 towing a camper or carvan, the motor homes are towing a car! Seems back to front to me.
Personally I would stick with the original way. A troopy towing a small caravan. And the troopy has got great room for storage.
Then for a wild rough track, leave the van at the caravan parked and go explore with a swag.
that was a good set up i had a look at it when came to my work
getting out quick for a $%^# my cause a problem but they were enjoying their trip

Its funny going into the van park for the meet and greets and seeing $100000+ 4x4s towing $150000+ 4x4 vans that never see a dirt road, but then I think good for them at least they are out getting out there enjoying themselves

I too am a solo traveler and now have a professionally built fully fitted out 4wd Sprinter van based camper, and while it suits my current needs, it cost a bomb. But I know of a few who have converted ex Telstra or similar 4wd sprinters into great campervans for a fraction of the cost.

I had a 2wd Sprinter based unit previously, and the 2wd aspect limited where I could go reliably, so bit the bullet and got the current beast. Even the 4wd doesn't mean that you can go anywhere you want, or not have problems as I have had my share of them, but it does allow access to places that I previously avoided and does give better peace of mind in some crummy road situations.

Apart from having 4wd it also has low ratio with 4wd it also has -
- Dual rear wheels - Plus and minus on this aspect, better load carrying, better traction (see negatives)
- Increased ground clearance - Good for the rough and tumble stuff, but LWB means that clearance still needs to be co..nsidered
- Long range fuel - 150L
- Water 160L
- All hot water, room heat and stove are diesel based
- Seats for 4 if not carrying much extra weight elsewhere
- 240W of solar and 200AH of house batteries.

Negatives -
- Professional fit-out is a bit over the top and adds quite a bit of weight that could be better used
- $$$ spend was a heck of a lot, but hopefully will hold its value well and still be a reasonable asset for the kids when I am gone.
- Dual wheels means another 2 to get damaged, need to carry and extra spare and not so simple to maintain or change.
- Load carrying capacity is less than I would like due to extras in the fit-out & 4wd and dual wheels features add a lot of extra weight.

Still I love the unit and the Mercedes drive train.

Rob P

PabloP said:
I too am a solo traveler and now have a professionally built fully fitted out 4wd Sprinter van based camper, and while it suits my current needs, it cost a bomb. But I know of a few who have converted ex Telstra or similar 4wd sprinters into great campervans for a fraction of the cost.

I had a 2wd Sprinter based unit previously, and the 2wd aspect limited where I could go reliably, so bit the bullet and got the current beast. Even the 4wd doesn't mean that you can go anywhere you want, or not have problems as I have had my share of them, but it does allow access to places that I previously avoided and does give better peace of mind in some crummy road situations.

- Dual rear wheels - Plus and minus on this aspect, better load carrying, better traction (see negatives)
- Increased ground clearance - Good for the rough and tumble stuff, but LWB means that clearance still needs to be co..nsidered
- Long range fuel - 150L
- Water 160L

Negatives -
- Professional fit-out is a bit over the top and adds quite a bit of weight that could be better used
- $$$ spend was a heck of a lot, but hopefully will hold its value well and still be a reasonable asset for the kids when I am gone.
- Dual wheels means another 2 to get damaged, need to carry and extra spare and not so simple to maintain or change.
- Load carrying capacity is less than I would like due to extras in the fit-out & 4wd and dual wheels features add a lot of extra weight.

Rob P

Love to see a few pics of the setups

davent said:
I know a fella with a hyundi I load, with bigger wheels, and serious off road tyres, he gets most places a 4x4 goes.
Has a bed,tv and shade awning off it, tows a small trailer with other good stuff, like water.

This type of setup will do everything you need to do throughout WA as long as you know your limitations and use a bit of common sense. 2WD is much more economical to run and maintain, more comfortable and more stable on the road as well.

MoneyBox,

Thanks for the info Troppy on the list now.

Moneybox said:
JJ you really don't need a 4x4. We've travelled extensively throughout WA goldfields and providing you are in a high clearance 2WD you'll get to all but the outlying areas. We used to travel in a Mazda T3000 bus and never got into difficulty. However WA does have a lot of sandy areas so you need to know your vehicle and have some knowledge of handling a vehicle in the bush.

If you need a 4x4 it takes a lot to go past a diesel Toyota Troopy. They've got the space and excellent offroad ability.

[User is Offline] shakergt,
Looking atg no more than $80K all up. Troopy kitted out with low Ks may suit.
shakergt said:
How much cash you willing to spend? A Iveco daily maybe or a decked out toyota landcruiser troopy set up for camping. The sky's the limit

[User is Offline] PabloP

Sounds a rig I would be looking at but $80K max. budget would not get me there. Agree about the MB. I have a 20 year old MB 4*4 in the UK, from new only 150Ks on the clock, due to my livng mostly in Perth,and never set a foot wrong.

Here at the moment in the UK North Pennines 3 meter snow drifts and the MB has had no proble. The Problem with MB parts cost. Had a van skip and swipe my passenger mirror and crack the mirror housing shell. Replacement is $350 just for the shell then there is fitting ontop.

Who supplied your rig?

PabloP said:

- Long range fuel - 150L
- Water 160L

Negatives -

Rob P

Gee, I did love sitting back with a cold beer at sandstone and watching people attempting to reverse park their caravans! It can be rather comical at times.

Latest posts