Coin Collector's Opinion's Needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can any coin collectors give an opinion on the rider please.
I am looking to clarify something I was told by two dealers yesterday :D
1387259011_florin003.jpg

1387259045_florin004.jpg

Don't know if this is some info your after..

see below link for more info and pictures.

http://www.australian-threepence.co...ng-a-counterfeit-193435-centenary-florin.html

Identifying a Counterfeit 1934-35 Centenary Florin

One of the stronger indicators of the fake coin is the general weakness of strike in the central areas of the coin on both sides. Above you can see how the riders hand has nearly disappeared and that the horses stomach is very flat. This image also shows the strange colour that the fake coin shows in areas of weakness. This colour can best be described as very faintly green grey and is very different to any colour we've ever seen on a florin before.

Summary:One Florin - Two Shillings, 1934-35
Alternative Name: Melbourne Centenary Florin
Mint: Melbourne

Issued to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of Victoria (1834) and the foundation of Melbourne (1935). The coins were sold at a premium of one shilling to help finance the celebrations. 75,000 were struck, but at the end of the event 21,000 remained unsold and were melted. It features the centenary logo of an equestrian figure, slightly modified to fit the circular format of a coin (the logo was set in an oval).Acquisition Information:Transfer from Melbourne Branch of Royal Mint, 1978

Discipline: Numismatics
Dimensions: 28 mm (Diameter)
Weight: 11.314 g (Weight)

More information

Primary Classification: COINS
Secondary Classification: Australia - Victoria
Tertiary Classification: specimen strikes
Series: Commemorative
DateEra: 1934-1935 AD
Denomination: Florin (2 Shillings)
Obverse Description: Crowned and robed bust of George V facing left; around, GEORGE V KING EMPEROR
Reverse Description: Naked rider advancing to the left holding a flaming torch aloft; in exergue, .FLORIN. around, CENTENARY . VICTORIA . MELBOURNE . 1934-35.
Edge Description: Milled
Shape: round
Material: Silver
Issued By: King George V, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1934
Mint: Melbourne (Mint), 1934
Artist: Percy Metcalfe - Royal Mint, London, by 1934
Artist: George Gray - Royal Mint, London, by 1934

It could be a specimen-pattern but then it would be hard to prove only a hand full of coins are known to exist.
you would be best to talk to Eric from Drake Sterling or Andrew from Sterling and Currency.

They would help you out with it.

Sorry forgot to add if it is value is about $20,000- $47,000 but this depends on condition of the coin.

Two dealers had a look yesterday and both said it has a left nipple and that the reef is the best they had seen. These pics dont do it any justice.

You might have to send it over to PCGS to get it graded and slabbed before you will get a good offer on it. Eric will be able to advise you on this.

The only problem that I can see with the coin is that it doesn't have the patina that one would expect to see on a coin that is of that age. It must have been kept in a very good place.

The pics on here were done with a scanner deepblue, hence they are not very good, I will try to get a decent pic and stick it up.

Pete , if it does have the left nipple , it is a SPECIMEN/PATTERN type & less than 10 were minted - $30,000 in 2010

Cheers Paul

Pete , I have looked at mine , which is also mint & mine doesn't look the same, no obvious left nipple - you have a WINNER

Unfortunately a cleaned coin doesn't attract the same dollar value as a non-cleaned one and won't get a MS grading.

Latest posts