Coiltek Mounting Problem

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Seem to have an issue with my Coiltek 11" Mono ....... nothing major (I hope) .... can't get the damned thing mounted to my GPX lower arm .... seems impossible to thread the bolt through the coil mount/lower arm .... almost as though the coil moulding is not deep enough. No problem removing and replacing the ML coil. Don't want to put too much pressure on anything and just curious to see if anyone has had similar issues at any time.
Will obviously call them tomorrow to see what they have to say.
Cheers T.

I had this very same issue, and while i don't recommend it, I got a drill bit 1mm larger than the stock hole, opened it up a bit, and all was well.

Thanks LT, might give that a go depending on what they say tomorrow might need a bit more than a mil. though but ?? ... probably easier than heading back to Maryborough if it needs exchanging.

Don't quote me on this, but didn't Coiltek have an issue with some coils in this area? I think coiltek said send it straight back and they will replace it with another? I am not sure if this was the issue? I would give them a ring and see what they say.

Teemore said:
Hi Loamer ... are you saying/recommending a shaft for each coil ... just change the lower shaft when you want to change coils ??

I bought a coiltek spare shaft the other day at Coiltek in Maryborough. I have a shaft for each coil, and a couple of spares. That way you can have the cable set on the lower shaft, wrapped etc, and then its just a matter of shaft on shaft off. For a day pack, I bought the short shaft - big mistake if you are tall as you lean all day. I buy the longer shafts and they give you plenty of room to change.

Thanks Roscoe/Loamer, I'll let you know what they say but as an extra shaft seems a good idea I might take it up there and swap it rather than drill it, sure I'll leave some extra cash up there, bit of a sucker when it comes to gold related shopping.

Teemore said:
Thanks Roscoe/Loamer, I'll let you know what they say but as an extra shaft seems a good idea I might take it up there and swap it rather than drill it, sure I'll leave some extra cash up there, bit of a sucker when it comes to gold related shopping.

I'm hearing you brother. On another topic, despite all my own advice, I went along quite happily the other day and busy testing, swapping coils, swearing etc etc and in the course of the day, lost a coil bolt and wing nut and had NO spare. Oops.

Point taken Loamer, they're on the shopping list, one to leave in the car one for the backpack and another just in case.
Keen to get a mono on the 4800 and try a few suggested settings ... quite as a mouse with the DD coil, the settings recommended by M'borough were originally for the 4500, they just scrubbed the 5 and repaved it with an 8 and the recommended Stabilizer settings from 6 to 4-5
Cheers Tom

Tom, wack a mono on for sure!!! The standard 11" is fine for a start (and cheap) - a happy medium and covers small and bigger gold no worries and OK for mullock heaps. The DD is sweet as on the GPXs - next to no ground noise. The monos can still be a wee bit cranky. I would actually start with all the 'FP' settings - they are about 95% of what you will want anyway and learn from there.

I still have a play with the DD, especially around old reef sites, rubbish areas as the monos just pick up trash after trash after trash and it gets boring quite quickly. Wack it on iron reject and let her rip - you may be surprised. You can actually flag the iron targets with sticks (I use plastic tile spacers) and then run the mono through. This works well on mullock heaps and saves a hell of a lot of nonsense target digging - unless you are collecting old pick heads, horse shoes etc etc ;) .

Thanks, some things to keep in mind next time I'm out.
Been running the SDC, marking then running the 4800 and vice versa to learn and listen.
Hadn't used the "Iron Reject" but can see that it will be a winner in a lot of locations (don't get me started on trash, no not the old timers trash the current visitors or nearby residents trash ... ).
Cheers T.

I have a friend who is an experienced operator and he
Primes the 5000 for finding the tiny nuggets only using
An 11" minelab mono. Some of the nuggets are tiny
But with the same setup he found a nice large nugget at
2 foot in depth near Talbot.

The 5000 in fine gold setting is a winner. It can be used on big and small coils.

loamer said:
Teemore said:

I'm hearing you brother. On another topic, despite all my own advice, I went along quite happily the other day and busy testing, swapping coils, swearing etc etc and in the course of the day, lost a coil bolt and wing nut and had NO spare. Oops.
Haha the irony is not lost on me losing metal pieces with a detector in your hand!

Just to close this issue .... spoke to Coiltek today and they advised that although all mounting holes are drilled on a specific jig setup to ensure proper alignment there are the occasional operator hiccups.
No problem with taking the coil back to change it or, if desperate to use it the drilling option should do the trick as there is nothing 'vital' in the area that can be damaged.
Can't complain about their service goodf old fashioned 'we're only too pleased to do what needs doing to keep the customer happy' type attitude , how can you not go back and leave a few more dollars in such an establishment.
Cheers T.

... be interesting to see how I go at Bendigo with the SDC battery charger, fan is noisy as hell, really want a new one.

Just a further update ...... after calling in at Coiltek it seems ALL their mono coils had the same issue, try as they may they just wouldn't allow the bolt to be inserted.

They ended up just replacing it with a Minelab 11" mono, no problem.

Assume they're all the same, happy with their service

Cheers T.

Latest posts