Church Yard Coins

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Simon Thomason
Reaction score
1395875409_1.jpg

1395875409_2.jpg

1395875409_3.jpg

1395875409_4.jpg

Hi Guys

I have just about finished my hunt around an old church yard in my local area. Covered about 1 acre so far over the last three months.

I contacted the church pastor for his permission to search the grounds and he said that it was ok after I explained
what I would be doing and how I would leave the ground virtually undisturbed.

The tally for the coins is:-

One Penny 1x1868, 2x1947, 2x1950, 1x1873, 2x1866, 2x1875, 1x1940, 1x1881, 1x1951, 1x1907, 1x1897 and 1x1868;

Half Penny 1x1875, 1x1917, and 1x1926;

One Shilling 1x1911;

Sixpence 1x1942;

French 10cent 1x 1844.

Interesting find was the French 10cent 1844. That is the one at the bottom of the pictures. It is slightly larger and is noticeably thicker (and heavier) than the Pennies.
When I first found it, I thought that there was a lot of dirt stuck to it as it felt heavier than other pennies.

Anyone thinking of purchasing a Pinpointer for Coin/Treasure Hunting, I would highly recommend it. Saves a lot of unnecessary digging, locates the target in the ground
accurately and I found that it located the coins quite easily up to 7-8 inches into the ground at times.

I need some help with the last two photos please. The coins on the right are the ones I cannot identify. I put them beside a Penny and a Half Penny for reference.
These coins are thinner than the Penny/Half Penny and different diameters also. If anyone can help please let me know. I can take some more photos of them if you want.

CHeers Monty

Nice finds, can't help much with other coins as photo doesn't show anything but size. To try identifying and better understanding measure them in millimetres and try to get better picture also weigh them. All of these things might help someone identify them for you. They could also be tokens as most of these are before the pre decimal era (1910) & tokens were around before that era also.

1395881440_1.jpg

1395881440_2.jpg

1395881440_3.jpg

1395881440_4.jpg

Hi dave 14110

The smaller coin weighs 8g and measures approx. 28mm diameter.

I think this might be a Half Penny judging by the reliefs on both sides. The date looks to have corroded beyond recognition?

The larger coin weighs 11g and measures approx. 33mm diameter.

This coin appears to have three balloon symbols on it - thinking it may have been a token as you suggested.

Hope these photos help.

Cheers Monty

Bottom image is token, upside down but looks to definitely be a token. top image seems to be cart wheel penny if I'm correct. 2nd Image can't help. 3rd image not sure but I will have a look in book see if I can see it. Unfortunately all are very corroded & not worth much $ value. hope this helps someone else may help further.

Hi dave14110

I edited the photo - turned it right side up (on my computer) and I can read the words OBART TOWN on the bottom part and the word WILLIAM appears on the LHS going around near the edge.

There also appears to be three lines of words across the middle, but I cannot really make them out.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers Monty

Hobart town I'd guess William is probably king at reigning at time. Could be tasmanian

Have a look at other side on top image as the penny ramjet has put up has an identical image as tea stores token
sorry can't help further, thought my book had more.

I believe I can read (decipher) MURRAY STREET STATION on the bottom and ONE PENNY TOKEN....missing letters....with maybe YABLE or YARLE following that.

Does this give anyone anymore clues?

Monty

Latest posts