Question About Detecting Gold Cache In A Jar.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello mates, I'll cut to the chase though I'm new here.

I have a location where a large jar of gold coins is allegedly buried.

I've been up there with Goldmask ii, Fisher Gemini 3, and now a GPX-5000. No luck, but lots of trash at the location, so many many holes dug in forest soil filled with big rocks and roots, the absolute worst.

I am not a prospector, but I have much respect for you all on this forum as you speak it like it is.

I've had a Jeohunter 3D recommended to.me for this hunt, but these sell for $3000 and Re-sell for about $1500, are they any good for this?

I've also heard strange things such as large gold.coin masses reading as a magnet would, for a detector? A similar jar of lead coin size weights was only being "seen" by the GPX5000 at about 20", and this stash I'm hunting is likely to be deeper than that.

I would have thought a target this large would be screaming for any detector, but I've heard everything from it'll detect the whole stash as one coin at a time to it's basically silent or sounds like a magnet would. I have no way of testing this obviously.

Would a LARGE coil on the GPX discriminate out the small trash? Would a Jeohunter 3D be better for finding this ? Or something else? It's a small enough area I'd love to bulldoze it down until I find it or run out of dirt, but I can't attract that kind of attention to the area.

I appreciate all replies mates.

Very interesting im not up to speed with the 5000 but I do know there's deep seeking coils and settings on the machine for large deeper gold , you will struggle to get more than 2ft out of any machine , a 7000 with the 19inch coil would be the deepest machine I know of. Now that you have all the shallow targets gone it would be easy.

Motherlode7555 said:
I've been up there with Goldmask ii, Fisher Gemini 3, and now a GPX-5000. No luck, but lots of trash at the location, so many many holes dug in forest soil filled with big rocks and roots, the absolute worst.
I am not a prospector, but I have much respect for you all on this forum as you speak it like it is.
I've had a Jeohunter 3D recommended to.me for this hunt, but these sell for $3000 and Re-sell for about $1500, are they any good for this?
I've also heard strange things such as large gold.coin masses reading as a magnet would, for a detector? A similar jar of lead coin size weights was only being "seen" by the GPX5000 at about 20", and this stash I'm hunting is likely to be deeper than that.
I would have thought a target this large would be screaming for any detector, but I've heard everything from it'll detect the whole stash as one coin at a time to it's basically silent or sounds like a magnet would. I have no way of testing this obviously.
Would a LARGE coil on the GPX discriminate out the small trash? Would a Jeohunter 3D be better for finding this ? Or something else? It's a small enough area I'd love to bulldoze it down until I find it or run out of dirt, but I can't attract that kind of attention to the area.

Perhaps the most pertinent first question is whether or not you are in Australia? European/North American 'deep' treasure hunting detectors are usually single frequency VLFs that will lose much of their alleged depth in Australia's typically mineralised soils.

The second key question would be how deep are you expecting to locate the target?

grubstake said:
Motherlode7555 said:

Perhaps the most pertinent first question is whether or not you are in Australia? European/North American 'deep' treasure hunting detectors are usually single frequency VLFs that will lose much of their alleged depth in Australia's typically mineralised soils.

The second key question would be how deep are you expecting to locate the target?

North American mountain forest. I don't know the depth except that caches are usually found at 1-2 feet, but that doesn't mean it wasn't buried deeper, I'd say more than 3 feet is unlikely

grubstake said:
Motherlode7555 said:

North American mountain forest. I don't know the depth except that caches are usually found at 1-2 feet, but that doesn't mean it wasn't buried deeper, I'd say more than 3 feet is unlikely

Given your location and depth, I'd have thought the Gemini 3 would have been suitable for the task at hand, although it appears unwieldy and a proven conventional VLF like the Whites MXT Pro fitted with a large coil, may be more ergonomic and better at pinpointing targets. Unfortunately however, the amount and depth of trash you describe will likely be a huge problem for any detector in that location. Even with a large coil, an all-metal PI detector like the GPX will find far more targets than you have the energy to dig and the discrimination feature of VLF detectors isn't very reliable if the trash is sizeable and/or deep enough, as you may have already discovered.

As to your other questions, multiple targets together (eg. a cache of coins or of nuggets), won't usually give a signal as strong and clear as a single target of the same metal, shape and weight. I can't help with your queries on the Goldmask II or Jeohunter 3D, as these machines are unknown to me, although I will comment that the Jeohunter comes from a reputable manufacturer - Makro - although its 3D feature may be more of a gimmick than a useful aid.

There are some very large coils for the GPZ from Russia: x-coils.

And plenty of large could fly the gpx series. Detech makes a monster concentric, as does nexus. Or nugget Finder makes a 25 DD coil, which can make use of the gpx iron reject feature.

Im very curious, without spilling the beans and jeopardizing your chance at it, can you tell us more about this cache of gold coins? Is this a thing like Forest Fenns treasure?

G'day

Depending on the soil conditions the gpx should do the job, I would be using the biggest mono coil I could get my hands on or alternatively a very large dd coil if the soil is more mineralised, the problem with the discrimination on the gpx is that it has a limited capability and does not work at full depth so its nowhere near as good in that respect as a vlf detector so you will still have to persist with the digging of trash targets, alternatively I would also try a good vlf machine like the minelab Sovereign Gt coupled with an 18" search coil, I have and use both the sovereign and gpx detectors and if I were hunting trashy ground I would persist with the Sovereign first and then maybe move on to the gpx.

It may pay to be more systematic in your approach to hunting this spot, rather than being too concerned about the response of the target, if the jar is buried really deep then it could be out of detecting range for any machine anyway, but hunting for caches is an art in itself and very different to hunting for gold and also coin hunting, I don't know the history of this site as to whether it had a building on it or whether the stash was just supposedly randomly buried somewhere in the forest but it may pay to do more research to get the story behind it, having this information may help you to visualize the more likely areas it could have been stashed.

The thing with hiding a cache is very often people used markers to help them remember where they buried something, often using things like fence posts, large trees or rocks, something obvious and recognizable so that they could more easily find again, it was common for people back in the early days to do this as there were not many banks about and many people didn't trust them anyway, if you can get a better idea of the history behind it then you could narrow the search area down as well.

Gridding what you think are the likely spots is the best way to be sure you have covered it thoroughly before you move on to another area, unfortunately digging trash is part of detecting of all kinds so unfortunately it comes with the job, but you have to remember that they didn't have metal detectors back in the day to help them find it again so my money would be on trying to visualize for yourself what would spark your memory of the right spot if you were the one hiding the loot.

cheers

stayyerAU

I know the spot, down to about 700 sq ft of possible target area. Would a Sovereign GT with 18" coil get it while discriminating out small trash? How deep would it go?

I'm sure of the spot, it was buried in the 60's after metal detectors were emerging, I'm not opposed to digging I just want to keep it to an absolute minimum so as not to draw attention to the area.

You need to dig and remove all the shallow targets in order to hear the deeper big faint sounding targets. Just clear a square metre a day of all surface targets.... once you get going and open up one spot, work around the edges of that clearing your 1 square metre a day... soon enough you can start listening deeply over what you've done with no interference cept from the undone edges. If your lucky enougb to start right over it all the better, but at the outside Irish chance that it's under the absolute last square metre cleared, you will at the least be holding it in your handswithin two years. If worried about onlookers tell phurfies or learn to detect in the dark (after all your only in the one spot... erect a night time hide over your metre and always maker your edges with a particular metal marker that you can detect easily to prevent overlapping or missing area's).

Good luck and show us the goods once they're in ya hands :D

See if you can find someone that has ground radar, they show divits , caves etc, I know they were for sale years ago on ebay.com, made in Germany, back then they started at around $6,000.00, they download the results onto a computer screen, may be worth hiring someone in aust that hires them out, worth a try and more reliable than a metal detector