Chinese coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doctor - we are struggling for a number of reasons. Import and export fees are astronomical here. Also the $ has a lot to do with it. Not to mention in a lot of cases our manufacturing techniques are primitive in comparison to new plants over seas etc. That's why I was made redundant. Can't compete with the overseas market who produce the same, if not better quality for less and more efficiently.
That's why we are also seeing ford and holden close up shop along with many others.
I'm all for paying for a quality product. I do so with all my cars, motorbikes and all my household electronics. I was just curious as to whether or not this is another item we pay a premium for without much of a difference in quality. The retail mark up here is ridiculous on all items. For example, if I want to buy a timing belt kit for my Mazda bt-50 here in aus I'm looking at say $350 for example. However I can jump online and have a genuine one delivered to my door for $200. Go figure.

Also a lot (not all) of these manufacturers overseas have the same benefits as ourselfs, good wages, holiday pay, sick pay etc.

condor22 said:
I'm old enough to remember the goods sold from Japan back in the 60s and 70s, they were pretty ordinary. It took them a couple of decades to get it right and realise that cheap and poor quality was not going to compete with American and European goods in those areas. Now, Japanese quality is second to none, Korea is nearly there, China still has a way to go and India is further back.

As these countries experience affluence and wages increases, the manufacturing machines of the world will look for cheaper labour i.e Bangladesh and when Asia is exhausted, I reckon Africa will be next.

At the end of the day, it's up to us, the consumer, to decide what we buy and where from........

Yeah I remember first Honda cars imported here. With rear window looking like diving mask. What a joke. But look at their cars now. Same will eventually happen with Chinese stuff. That is if they are not going to have revolution one kind or other meanwhile . Not many communist regimes last more then fifty years.
Karl

mbasko said:
If the Chinese coils were any good then you have to ask why they try to sell them using other manufacturers branding. The answer is that they are shite, substandard ripoffs.
If they were as good as NF, Coiltek, Detech, Minelab etc. then they would have a market for them under their own branding as competition to the well known brands. The mere fact that they choose to make copies, not a product in its own right, suggests that they are only trying to cash in on other companies good standing & known products by offering shite dressed up as chocolate - not produce something to rival them or create legitimate competition.

Totally agree, I am fully against direct counterfeit products, this is misleading and definitely lowers a brands profile. No one benefits from this except the fake manufacturer.

However it is a Global market and we have to get used to this happening more and more, if we rely on our usual ways of doing things we will be left behind, it is hard out there. I know first hand trying to supply products and services to people. I still can't work out how companies sell the same product I buy on ebay and pay all the fees and the GST !! and still make a little bit of money. We have all lost sight of value, and all we look at is the price (generalizing I know).

As for fake coils, if they called themselves Goldlab detectors (as example) then great go for it at least you know. So I salute Minelab for the ways they are trying to combat and protect their property but in reality it will not stop the fakes.

That being the case if you want to buy a fake "minelab" then go for it I say, however if you know that and then you sell it on to someone saying it is a Minelab then you are no better than the people making them.

The the old saying "buyer beware" is even more relevant today than ever.