Cheap and sometimes nasty pinpointers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax3022

Tony
Reaction score
Hey folks i realise these are dirt-cheap and you get what you pay for but as a cheap and nasty alternative to paying $120+ for one, do they work at all? For $40 delivered would i just treat it as a unit which might work for a short time or would i just be better off waiting and getting a better one? Has anyone used them?

my brother had a cheap $40 one he got on ebay, it work when you touch metal or was within less than a 1cm, I had the whites bull's eye which worked within less than about 2 1/2 cm. We have both now spent $130 each inc post & brought the Garrett from Garrett dealer in US. We both believe it's the best money spent & would not waste our time again with cheaper brands. Would of brought locally but best price given was $35 dollars more & didn't include postage.

Yeah i just read something about that, sounds interesting but from the reviews i've found it's prob best i just set myself a goal of buying a garrett pro-pointer with my finds ;) wishful thinking maybe?

It can be done, I collected about $150 worth of moderns in around three months.

Just a tip, if you're only looking at doing beaches with the very occasional park thrown in you shouldn't really require a pin pointer, that is once you get Pinpointing mastered on the Ace 250 :D

For detecting beaches I would also suggest using a wide mouth digger. I mostly use a custom made shovel which is easy on the back and can be dragged behind to mark out where I've been, see https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=150

I have set the video below to start at 2:24 (Pinpointing the Ace 250)

Cheers nugget, most of the areas i'll be hunting will mostly be sand and i suppose if i get good with the onboard pinpointing the pro-pointer would be a formality but might come in handy down the track

I saw these on Ebay and thought I would get them for the kids to use with their metal detectors.
Quite simply put they don't work. :(
I got two...one doesn't actually make any sound at all and the other only detects metal targets while its moving. Keep it still and the beeping stops. USELESS.
:mad: Don't get scammed like I did avoid this product and this seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Meta...30986186681?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item1e7f6297b9

Hope I save someone from my mistake!

BUT if you want a good pinpointer get the minelab one. Its my favourite detecting tool and I would be lost without it. ;)

Thanks for the heads up Shane, was having a look at these but will steer well clear!

Shane said:
I saw these on Ebay and thought I would get them for the kids to use with their metal detectors.
Quite simply put they don't work. :(
I got two...one doesn't actually make any sound at all and the other only detects metal targets while its moving. Keep it still and the beeping stops. USELESS.
:mad: Don't get scammed like I did avoid this product and this seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Meta...30986186681?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item1e7f6297b9

Hope I save someone from my mistake!

why dont you report it with ebay? he has only good feedback... 49 units sold you should review your feedback if its a genuine problem

Hi Shane,I'm only new here and at the moment only have amature type equipment, I have a Bounty Hunter Pinpointer and I consider it to be a total waste of money & effort.I have two of the pinpointers simular to the type that you have purchased and consider them to be very helpfull and great time savers Yoy say one makes no sound! Check that the tiny switch on the side is in the correct position ---- not easy to see.This allows you to switch the sound off / on. The big problem with many products coming out of China is that items can be made in a thousand different factories using different quality components made all over the countryside. Some of these factories have Zero quality control. The finished items all look the same but perform totally different. It is like buying two simular cakes from two different cake shops! The Cakes might look the same but you can only eat one because the other is crap! Go on the net and check out a MD88 Metal Detector, same thing it is made in a thousand different locations, I have spoken to a chap who claims to have an electrical trade background. Anyway he told me that he has been to China and did a tour of a factory making MD88 Detectors --- huge factory with excellent quality control. Trouble is how good is the factory that supplied this factory with components! I myself have a trade background and one thing I know from my huge experience with all types of Chinese equipment is that you must totally ignore the SPECIFICATIONS that the Chinese manufacturer claim. Old story BUYER BEWARE. sEEYA!wES!

Out of curiosity I visited jaycar today to have a look at this pinpointer in action, or should I say lack of action. It was advertised as having a buzzer as well vibration, though the unit I looked at just vibrated, and the LED light would go off when passed over a metal object. The sensitivity is just crap for the better word, a ten cent piece wouldn't even register unless just about scraped against the tip, so money best off spent elsewhere. ;)

1449244309_qp2305imagemain-300wx300h.jpg

Interesting, a few people swear by them... And I was hit by a few as to being biased, when I posted on a few places as to my findings.....

I have found the two that i played with to be crap, and not worth it...

Hence when a few have asked since, all I could only say is - go and try it out in the shop...

Latest posts