Car battery

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried to start my car yesterday but it would not start

First time this has happened in this car,

Rang road side assist to come and get it started,

The bloke got it started and told me it should now be OK...

I left it running for 30 minutes and took it for a run...

Thinking that should fix it

Just went out to start it today and it is doing the same as yesterday,

Every other car I have had in the pass will give you a warning that the battery is given you some trouble

Not this one

Is this normal for a car battery to do this?

Plus would anyone no what kind of price for a new one as I was quoted yesterday if I need one at $270

Goody :(

Goody, I am not an expert but I have been around cars and their batteries for more than 50years!. It's true that many batteries will give you suttle warnings before they finally die... but it's equally true that they can fail ...just like that.Why cars don't have a compulsory Voltage gauge I'll never know.
Anyway...270 sounds a little high to me but I recently had one from NRMA and it was 240 odd!.Supercheap used to stock the Yuasa brand...at about 75 bucks!...You will need the battery specific to your car...you can do all that on their website..YUASA.COM.AU ....ALL THIS IS JUST A SUGGESTION Goody...hope you get it sorted. :cool:

It was Nrma that quoted me that price yesterday

My car is a SUV a holden trax it take's a different kind of battery

Just phone another place around hear and I might be able to buy it cheaper than Nrma

Now I got to ring Nrma to come to start it so I can get it to the other place

Thank you for your help reefer

Goody

Found this on Google. From Battery world. This is for Holden trax.

1588042014_screenshot_20200428-121523.jpg

Just got off the phone from a battery place

They told me that batteries only last around 5 years so I think I have done OK

They told me that they will need to look at it to no what one it is as the trax has a couple of models battery in them,

Price ranging from $140 up to $210 so cheaper than Nrma

Plus I am glad it has happened while I am at home and not on a epic trip away somewhere

Will have some lunch then ring Nrma to come and JumpStart her

As I need a reliable car

Goody :)

I had a 140ah AGM in the camper trailer and it died on me on my first trip out at Daly Waters.
Being in civilisation I went to a auto shop there and picked up a deep cycle batt. and it worked the rest of the trip around Oz in 2007.
At home being mainly on solar I charge my 2 deep cycle and 1 AGM regularly -cost-"$0". Just time.
I have a 60W solar panel on the roof of the Pathy connected all the time via MPPT controller.
Good luck Katt. :D

I asked the Nrma man yesterday about the alternator and he said is fine but I am going to ask the other bloke at the battery place today

Just waiting on the Nrma bloke to come now

Goody

Jaros said:
I had a 140ah AGM in the camper trailer and it died on me on my first trip out at Daly Waters.
Being in civilisation I went to a auto shop there and picked up a deep cycle batt. and it worked the rest of the trip around Oz in 2007.
At home being mainly on solar I charge my 2 deep cycle and 1 AGM regularly -cost-"$0". Just time.
I have a 60W solar panel on the roof of the Pathy connected all the time via MPPT controller.
Good luck Katt. :D

You call Daly Waters 'civilisation'?? !! :D :playful:

Vehicle start batteries have evolved considerably over the last few years. All my previous vehicles had a Wet Cell CCA battery, charged by the alternator at 13.8 VDC. I won't go back further to the days of generator vehicles in the good old days were you could push start a manual car, lol.

My current 4by has a Calcium based battery and the nominal charge and battery voltage is around 14.5 V.

The next point I'll make, is the use of Hybrid batteries, by that I mean duel Start and Deep Cycle. Yes they work, but I'm a great believer in many duel purpose devices, seldom do either function as well as a single purpose device. So I separate start functions from deep cycle. Let the start battery deal with the vehicle and the Auxiliary deal with the fridge and other added gear.

However, the one thing they have in common is, keeping them charged. A start battery needs to be charged regularly, with current lock down rules we are driving far less than perhaps normal. Starting a car, driving a couple of kms to the shop and back home, will not replace the capacity used to start the car, ready for the next use as full. A good newish battery will cope for a while, but consider that if you only do infrequent short trips, the battery will eventually go flat. Similarly with a deep cycle, draw it down to far too often and it shortens it's life in a similar way.

At the moment, I am only doing a few short trips, so this morning, when my wife had a medical appointment in the city and was going to get a taxi, I offered to take her.
Not so much to save her a taxi fare, but to give my engine a good run. Properly charge the battery as well as keeping the DPF working. (But don't tell her I said that, lol.....)

The rough Covid guide here in S.A. is no more than 50 kms from home, so a trip on the freeway at 110 kms/hr once a fortnight is to me a necessary trip. :)

FYI - Most industry spokespersons suggest 5 years is the average vehicle battery life. If you get less, I'd suggest something is wrong, if more, take it as a bonus.

Wow just had a look at them portable jump starter's

Don't quite no where to even start with them

Goody

Thanks condor.
They look great and seem to have good reviews :Y:
My Jeep battery is also getting on (5.3 years), and have had to charge it twice over the past month.
Likely due to putting in very few kms during this lockdown. Probably used for 2 short trips per week.
Will replace it before my next travels.
I've also jump started a few others' vehicles (in hard to access locations, including my John Deere ride-on mower), so this unit will be great.
I've put the UPP 1000 on order from Gadget City ($181.85 plus free delivery).

Takes min 8 hrs to recharge the battery in your car you didnt let it run for long enough or one of the plates in the battery has dropped out
goody2shoes said:
I tried to start my car yesterday but it would not start

First time this has happened in this car,

Rang road side assist to come and get it started,

The bloke got it started and told me it should now be OK...

I left it running for 30 minutes and took it for a run...

Thinking that should fix it

Just went out to start it today and it is doing the same as yesterday,

Every other car I have had in the pass will give you a warning that the battery is given you some trouble

Not this one

Is this normal for a car battery to do this?

Plus would anyone no what kind of price for a new one as I was quoted yesterday if I need one at $270

Goody :(

If you put the battery on a trickle charger , leave it charging for at least 48 hours to get a good charge. The blokes at the Bond Batteries factory gave me that advice a couple of years` ago and they were right. Charging it in the car when driving barely gives it any charge at all unless you are travelling for a great distance .

Latest posts