TDI Pro/SL Lithium battery Voltage Reader

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really like the TDI pro, it's an oldie and a goodie for the odd day out on the fields or beach, with always a capable chance of something.

The battery life is excellent, but the battery light itself is a not best experience. E.g. green continuously and then it cuts out after several hours of use....with green light going as the warning but it is hard to notice, and by then it is too late.

The lithium battery pack itself is awesome. For this older machine, take nothing away, 5+ hours of operation is plenty.

To give me more control over the battery management I created a handy voltage reader to realise how much voltage (time) is remaining, as well as to identify if charging is even necessary. E.g shows the 16v to 12v range at any point in your journey.

I thought of sharing so other TDI users could do the same if they had the need to improve their battery read. Note: you could easily do the same using a multi meter on dc, red probe in the centre, black probe on the outer, but a dedicated reader is far more repeatable and less fidly.

Let me know if you have any better hacks for the battery life view, for others out there, ... I can live with this for now.

I really appreciate the forum.

Good luck and all the best.20231228_192543.jpg

PKOZ

Hi all,

I really like the TDI pro, it's an oldie and a goodie for the odd day out on the fields or beach, with always a capable chance of something.

The battery life is excellent, but the battery light itself is a not best experience. E.g. green continuously and then it cuts out after several hours of use....with green light going as the warning but it is hard to notice, and by then it is too late.

The lithium battery pack itself is awesome. For this older machine, take nothing away, 5+ hours of operation is plenty.

To give me more control over the battery management I created a handy voltage reader to realise how much voltage (time) is remaining, as well as to identify if charging is even necessary. E.g shows the 16v to 12v range at any point in your journey.

I thought of sharing so other TDI users could do the same if they had the need to improve their battery read. Note: you could easily do the same using a multi meter on dc, red probe in the centre, black probe on the outer, but a dedicated reader is far more repeatable and less fidly.

Let me know if you have any better hacks for the battery life view, for others out there, ... I can live with this for now.

I really appreciate the forum.

Good luck and all the best.View attachment 12289

PKOZ
I use these cheap slimline self powered volt meters a lot.

They need about 3V to display and generally read upto 30v depending on model.

stick one on the top or side of your box and run the wires to the battery connector in the box and you have turned your analogue TDI into a modern digital device :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231229-161957_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231229-161957_Chrome.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 0
I use these cheap slimline self powered volt meters a lot.

They need about 3V to display and generally read upto 30v depending on model.

stick one on the top or side of your box and run the wires to the battery connector in the box and you have turned your analogue TDI into a modern digital device :)
Thanks for your help. Really nice product,slim and affordable...and mountable, whereas my brick isn't. Love the approach, but by leaving it connected all the time, does it drain much? Thanks again

I only put the 16V battery tray in my SL just before using it and take it out at end of the day to recharge.

Leaving the battery in the detector, the volt meter will drain the battery over a week...ish, so less than 5% reduction in battery runtime.

could always add an external inline switch or connect it to the Threshold On switch if you really wanted but more messing around for not much benefit.

Def check the specs as look alike units differ: 5V-20V, 8V-16V, 5V-24V etc

blue and green LED are more readable in bright sun.

Last edited:

Latest posts