Can anyone read Chinese?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found these letters on an old tin lid I dug up today. Can anyone translate?
Tin lid is about 10x7cm, probably tobacco or opium tin.

1469755675_imag00033.jpg

Good detective work, TJ!

My second daughter speaks and reads Chinese, and is in Shanghai doing a summer school at the moment. I'll send the image on wechat and see if anyone over there can work it out.

Bridget says it is in traditional characters, and part of it is a brand name, and probably tobacco rather than opium. traditional characters are tricky to work out.

She apologises for not getting a better translation, but it was her last day or two in China, and she was unable to run it by one of the professors. The other students on her summer school are from all over the world, mainly from Russia, though. Right now she is on the plane back to Sydney.

Anyway, she says she will run it past her professors at the ANU in the next week or so. We will also send it to a friend who is a linguist at a police university in China.

DrDuck said:
Bridget says it is in traditional characters, and part of it is a brand name, and probably tobacco rather than opium. traditional characters are tricky to work out.

She apologises for not getting a better translation, but it was her last day or two in China, and she was unable to run it by one of the professors. The other students on her summer school are from all over the world, mainly from Russia, though. Right now she is on the plane back to Sydney.

Anyway, she says she will run it past her professors at the ANU in the next week or so. We will also send it to a friend who is a linguist at a police university in China.

Cheers, thanks for your help with this.

Latest posts