Busy weekend

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This week end I'm planning on getting out to do some sluicing and detecting, since I have to work Saturday my plan so far is as follows... Finish work 2pm pack car and head over the mountain through Oberon where I will stop at saphire bend to grab a few buckets of wash before pushing on towards trunkey creek/tuena, set up for the night, eat and crack a cold one or 10 and then up early in the morning for a few hours detecting before setting up the banker for a few hours of digging before driving home Sunday arvo.
Since I couldn't decide if I wanted to detect,sluice or seive I'll do all three and hopefully at least have a few things to show and maybe a nugget for the detecting show n tell... Fingers crossed ;)

Keep me posted on the water levels around Oberon if you could please Diggin , im planning a trip out there in 2 weeks and havnt decided whether to Detect or play in the water ;) .

Gaz.

Digginholes said:
This week end I'm planning on getting out to do some sluicing and detecting, since I have to work Saturday my plan so far is as follows... Finish work 2pm pack car and head over the mountain through Oberon where I will stop at saphire bend to grab a few buckets of wash before pushing on towards trunkey creek/tuena, set up for the night, eat and crack a cold one or 10 and then up early in the morning for a few hours detecting before setting up the banker for a few hours of digging before driving home Sunday arvo.
Since I couldn't decide if I wanted to detect,sluice or seive I'll do all three and hopefully at least have a few things to show and maybe a nugget for the detecting show n tell... Fingers crossed ;)
Bloody hell, i'm exhausted just reading what you're doing digginholes. You'll need a weekend to get over the weekend mate :lol: And if you can get up early after 10 ales then you deserve all the gold and gems you can find mate. Have a good one :p

Mate if your heading out Oberon way, I would recommend you download and have a read of the document from page 75 through to page 80. You will get a lot of information from it. Good luck digger.

Extract from page 75.

The early gold finds were suppressed by the government fearing the chaos it would cause in the infant colony. Not until April 1851 with the first finds of payable gold at Ophir near Bathurst was it publicised, and the rush was on.
In June that year Mr Hebblewhite discovered gold towards the Campbells River near OConnell, which became known as the Havilah diggings. Soon after a 220 gram nugget was found at the junction of the Isabella Creek and the Abercrombie River and about 100 miners rushed to the area. Prospectors were soon scouring the creeks.
The first goldfields - Campbells River, Stoney (Sewells) Creek, and Native Dog were proclaimed on 2 February, 1853. In 1879 250 square miles were amalgamated into Oberon Goldfield in 1872. they were all amalgamated into the Oberon Goldfield which covered and included the Fish, Duckmaloi and Macquarie Rivers. The Jenolan Goldfield, spread over 79,000 acres, was proclaimed in 1887
Many of the streams still bear traces of the water races built by the hundreds of Chinese miners who worked in the district.

Oberon ... streams containing gems and gold page 75 through to 80

Download link

http://oakycamp.com/_pdfs/History_of_Oberon_Shire_2004.pdf

GaryO said:
Keep me posted on the water levels around Oberon if you could please Diggin , im planning a trip out there in 2 weeks and havnt decided whether to Detect or play in the water ;) .

Gaz.
Lol I'm always prepared for both, ya just never know what might end up happening ha ha
I haven't done much detecting in the area, I have found a half penny out there though
:)

Jembaicumbene said:
Mate if your heading out Oberon way, I would recommend you download and have a read of the document from page 75 through to page 80. You will get a lot of information from it. Good luck digger.

Extract from page 75.

The early gold finds were suppressed by the government fearing the chaos it would cause in the infant colony. Not until April 1851 with the first finds of payable gold at Ophir near Bathurst was it publicised, and the rush was on.
In June that year Mr Hebblewhite discovered gold towards the Campbells River near OConnell, which became known as the Havilah diggings. Soon after a 220 gram nugget was found at the junction of the Isabella Creek and the Abercrombie River and about 100 miners rushed to the area. Prospectors were soon scouring the creeks.
The first goldfields - Campbells River, Stoney (Sewells) Creek, and Native Dog were proclaimed on 2 February, 1853. In 1879 250 square miles were amalgamated into Oberon Goldfield in 1872. they were all amalgamated into the Oberon Goldfield which covered and included the Fish, Duckmaloi and Macquarie Rivers. The Jenolan Goldfield, spread over 79,000 acres, was proclaimed in 1887
Many of the streams still bear traces of the water races built by the hundreds of Chinese miners who worked in the district.

Oberon ... streams containing gems and gold page 75 through to 80

Download link

http://oakycamp.com/_pdfs/History_of_Oberon_Shire_2004.pdf
Thanks mate will do, will come in handy since I hit Oberon regularly :)

SCROUNGER said:
Digginholes said:
Bloody hell, i'm exhausted just reading what you're doing digginholes. You'll need a weekend to get over the weekend mate :lol: And if you can get up early after 10 ales then you deserve all the gold and gems you can find mate. Have a good one :p
Lol cheers mate, yeah it takes a bit to stop me getting into the good stuff matturbo and rosco can stand as witness to that lol
Dam fever burns so deep lol :)

Hi Diggin, I'm heading out to Tuena on Saturday/ Sunday for my maiden voyage highbanking, the weather forecast isn't looking too good but i'm still keen.
Ill be camping Saturday night and will also be indulging in a few cold ones, come and say G'day if you want. White dual cab 2WD Hilux with a tarp hanging off the back ;)

Digginholes said:
GaryO said:

Gaz.
Lol I'm always prepared for both, ya just never know what might end up happening ha ha
I haven't done much detecting in the area, I have found a half penny out there though
:)

Im going for 3 or 4 days so chances are I will do both , just last time I went evey creek was dry as a bone . So id rather not pack all my gear this time if know in advance.

Gaz

Forecast don't look too friendly for the weekend either so should be plenty if water around, Betta pack the rain coats and might have to leave the detecting out but I will get some colour this week end ;)

Had to cut tuena out this trip but I did manage to get out to sb for a few buckets, then of to meet up with Matt for a bit of a test hole dig in a few areas close by, should have taken a pic of the first hole of epic depth!! (Inconclusive result) then the second hole showed mutiple wash layers and good signs.
Washed a bit of dirt from sb through the day for a few nice little ones and a lot of micro size stuff in the cons and a speck or two of gold. Still got two buckets of wash to sort and will put up the results.
Trip was shorter than I hoped but as usual had a great time and got some colour and for the small amount of digging we did at sb I'm happy with what I've seen so far

Latest posts