Builds By Baz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2021 has started out hectic, with no leave left as I've used it all up for health reasons, so a very short shut-down at work over Christmas then straight back into it. I've been teaching a lot of knifemaking and blacksmithing courses, including groups of teenagers which really tests me as an instructor, but also grows me as an artisan.

At home, I've been coming home so tired, but still try to get a little bit done at night.

An old army mate dropped in a motorcycle helmet for me to pull apart and use the inner lining for the Viper pilot helmet. After a few mods, it fit in quite well and feels snug and comfortable enough to stay on my head if I was pulling some G's. I may even pull out the old perspex visor I made and re-shape the motorcycle helmet visor to fit. It's thickness and surface are a lot more consistent than the one I moulded with a heat gun. I think I'll put in a de-fogging fan too. I have one in the Iron Man helmet and it is very effective.

dLKDx0K.jpg

vmh3vTa.jpg

kwmjvjN.jpg

QEtaS6O.jpg

Continuing with the landing gear, the top pivot pin and surround made of plywood is now in the bin, with sheetmetal cladding replacing it. Not only does it look better, but it will last forever. I ran out of welding gas, so the top bit is just nasty spot-welded in position for now until I can afford more gas to finish it.

NzTN84C.jpg

uVZXX0Z.jpg

yHAdcPs.jpg

uBD8WxP.jpg

o2kLNxf.jpg

Mate I love ya builds, ya skills are enormous and tongue in cheek you remind me very much of Gibbs out of NCIS and his yacht build in the basement. Which brings me to my question, what are you going to do with it when you are finished?
Mackka

Mackka said:
Mate I love ya builds, ya skills are enormous and tongue in cheek you remind me very much of Gibbs out of NCIS and his yacht build in the basement. Which brings me to my question, what are you going to do with it when you are finished?
Mackka

LOL! What? You think I have some sort of master plan? ;)

Jokes aside, there's another guy up in QLD, building a 1:1 Mk I from the original series. He and I have discussed getting them together once finished, at some sort of show or event.

I still have to build a trailer for it, then take it to shows and such. I'll make it available for charity events on a case by case basis.

Baz.

Baz , we have a bloke in Queensland that has built a Giant Kookaburra and is travelling the state with it. I would love to see you and your mate in Qld doing a Comic Book show, awesome.
Mackka

Mackka said:
Baz , we have a bloke in Queensland that has built a Giant Kookaburra and is travelling the state with it. I would love to see you and your mate in Qld doing a Comic Book show, awesome.
Mackka

Who knows mate? Very uncertain times. I might have to get the Viper vaccinated before we cross any borders.

I've been making knives for a few years now and have lately become increasingly bored with many of the same things over and over again.

Looking to step up not just one, but a few notches, I decided to look for bladesmiths and their knives to emulate. Kyle Royer, MS visited us at a knife show a couple of years ago and I was inspired by his exquisite work. After watching a few of his youtube videos, I thought I'd at least have a go.

Using spring steel, some Banksia wood and a stainless steel bolt from my scrap pile, I set to a daunting, but exciting 12 inch take-down Bowie knife.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/Qi0eLOy12To[/video]

ndSaxMR.jpg

kv4RlcR.jpg

VUHkMFh.jpg

FrfiFsB.jpg

XLkG7In.jpg

I love your work, but I guess that I am somewhat in envy of you to have not only the skill & knowledge but also the facilities to allow you to do the amazing things that you do.

I did a bit of "rough" stuff during CovID lockdown, but nothing like the results that you have achieved.

Rob P.

PabloP said:
I love your work, but I guess that I am somewhat in envy of you to have not only the skill & knowledge but also the facilities to allow you to do the amazing things that you do.

I did a bit of "rough" stuff during CovID lockdown, but nothing like the results that you have achieved.

Rob P.

All you can do is have a go, learn from each one and practice mate. Keep at it.

Baz.

UPDATE 19 March 2021

SIGH. It's really hard to update all the social media and forums. I have little time on my hands and it eats a lot of it.

As my main aim here is to inspire folks to try their hand at ambitious projects on the path to betterment etc, hopefully it's OK to just post a quick link to the one page where the updates live.

Mods is that ok with you?

Baz.

Here's the link to the latest works in progress.

https://www.buildsbybaz.com/secondary-propulsion-yes-turbines/

uHzhSx4.jpg

RichA said:
Amazing skills!

Subscribing to Builds by Baz!

Thanks mate. I have all the drive shafts and new turbine fans, pulleys and gearing installed now. The new motor has arrived as well. I just need time now, to hook it up and wire it for control from both the cockpit, plus remotely from my smart-phone. Then I can switch it all on from a distance and put the wind up whoever might be sitting in it.

Whoopee!

Baz.

All the running gear is in for the turbines port and starboard. Here's a test startup, sound and motion.

Here's what it looks like on the inside. The tink tink you hear is the tied ends of the temporary rope belts hitting the shroud on the lamp. Took me a few minutes to work out what it was. There were lots of creaks and squeaks initially, but I went over the lot with a can of WD40 and now it runs totally silent until I put the sound on the speakers.

Finally, here's a bit of a look at what's coming in the Viper build.

One of the things I learned whilst building the Iron Man suit, was not only the extra attention to detail, but the LAYERING of details. Covering up the top details of the landing gear with bay doors adds that extra dimension, when someone stoops low to inspect what is obscured by the doors, thus seeing all the cool stuff underneath.

I also added top nacelle engine details using an old bucket, scrap sheetmetal welded together and some copper pipe.

yl482I5.jpg

hCb1t8y.jpg

KwWzvbF.jpg

XG09Ph7.jpg

hbae3nv.jpg

M1oNxfJ.jpg

As usual, the full story is logged on my website, www.buildsbybaz.com . My main mission is go encourage others to have a go at big projects, or even little ones, as a way to focus energy, motivate and give one a reason to get out of bed in the morning, or to look forward to going home after work, etc.

Baz.

Latest posts