Brisbane newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there Folks.

We are Tammy and Dennis. We are very new to the wonderful world of Fossicking. We would like to find enough gold to make a Wedding Ring - yeah, I don't think that's ever been done before haha.

We have just bought an XP ORX detector and MI-6 PinPointer, along with a Garrett Panning Kit from Justin at Lost Treasures in Brisbane. Now all we need to do is to learn how to use the detector properly and for some rain for the panning side of life.

Have been to the beach and found a cool little Scottish Terrier cast from lead (similar to the dog in Monopoly - except for the lead bit) Also, been out for a wander around Warwick's fossicking areas. Only found half a horse shoe and some bullets. Still good to find, and more so, to be out in the bush ... except for the bush ticks ... pesky little critters !!!

We know that Warwick has been flogged out, but still keen to get back there. Even looking at Golden Spur Mine for some hands on advice.

Like everyone, happy to hear of where the gold is hahaha and more than happy for any advice anyone has.

Hope to see you folk out'n'about soon.

Hooroo Tambo 'n' Dennis

Thanks Webbie_003. First day out at Warwick 6 ticks between us. Got some Bushmans with 40% Deet from the Fishin, Piggin 'n' Huntin shop next to BP the next day ... no ticks ... awesome gear. Can also get Aerogard with 80% Deet but only in a cream. Found Scholls Wart Freeze to remove ticks ... if they ever get that far ... works a treat.

Happy diggin :)

TAMnDEN said:
Hey there Folks.

We are Tammy and Dennis. We are very new to the wonderful world of Fossicking. We would like to find enough gold to make a Wedding Ring - yeah, I don't think that's ever been done before haha.

We have just bought an XP ORX detector and MI-6 PinPointer, along with a Garrett Panning Kit from Justin at Lost Treasures in Brisbane. Now all we need to do is to learn how to use the detector properly and for some rain for the panning side of life.

Have been to the beach and found a cool little Scottish Terrier cast from lead (similar to the dog in Monopoly - except for the lead bit) Also, been out for a wander around Warwick's fossicking areas. Only found half a horse shoe and some bullets. Still good to find, and more so, to be out in the bush ... except for the bush ticks ... pesky little critters !!!

We know that Warwick has been flogged out, but still keen to get back there. Even looking at Golden Spur Mine for some hands on advice.

Like everyone, happy to hear of where the gold is hahaha and more than happy for any advice anyone has.

Hooroo Tambo 'n' Dennis

I use a xp orx and a equinox 800. I really recommend going to golden spur. I live in the gold coast

TAMnDEN said:
Hey there Folks.

Hooroo Tambo 'n' Dennis

Also in regards to ticks at Warwick I take a spray bottle with me with a strong mixture of eucalyptus and water and spray it all over me and I havnt had a problem with them and also keeps the flies away

Thanks for all the Tick advice folks. I think we got that side down pat. Now for the 'gold finding' bit ... a work in progress :cool:

With regards to our XP ORX - We are getting better at understanding our detector. Using the preset Gold #1 and #2 settings (and even Coin #3 and #4) we found it very noisy in some of the very heavily mineralised areas around Durikai State Forest (near Warwick in QLD) but we played with the XP ORX settings (using the spare User #6) and it worked a treat ... no gold ... but a few finds of lead (cleverly disguised like raw bits of gold ... hearts-a-beating I tells ya ... for about 10 seconds anyway)

Still a very lot to learn about our awesome little XP ORX ... and a lot of gold to uncover !

We have watched a lot of the Pascoelads YouTube videos and every other video we can find ... all great for info ... keep it up all you Videographers out there.

When time permits, we'll contact Ben at Golden Spur Mine for a bit of detecting expertise.

Happy diggin folks :goldnugget:

TAMnDEN said:
Thanks Webbie_003. First day out at Warwick 6 ticks between us. Got some Bushmans with 40% Deet from the Fishin, Piggin 'n' Huntin shop next to BP the next day ... no ticks ... awesome gear. Can also get Aerogard with 80% Deet but only in a cream. Found Scholls Wart Freeze to remove ticks ... if they ever get that far ... works a treat.

Happy diggin :)

No problems.. my first day out a month or so I came home with three of the little buggers.!

Thanks Ded Driver for the confirmation of the 'metamorphosis' phenomenon. I didn't realise that you could overcome this phenomenon with speed. Thanks heaps for the tip.
Look out for the really really sweaty couple, with a large collection of iron bits out in the fields ;)

Hey Webbie_03 ... a pity the 3 little buggers didn't have a golden sheen to them :goldnugget: ... and no legs too !!!

Latest posts