Newbies from Canberra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I have been keen to get started prospecting for gold nuggets, coins and other artifacts for a while. I had panned for gold before and was reasonably successful. 30 mins work recovering 0.07 grams - translating to about $3.55AUD. Not about to give up my day job, but we both love a bit of bush walking and thought we could make our adventures a little more exciting incorporating a nifty little metal detector.

We admit to knowing 3/10ths of SFA about fossicking, so we're hoping to get a bit of guidance from you folks. We have been trolling the forum for the last day, reading and researching, but still can't decide how much we should invest in a detector and what other tools we need to buy for maximum return on investment, without detracting from our pleasant walks and taking things too seriously.

I read a great article (attached below) about PI and VLF detectors. They suggest most folk have both detectors, but if we decide to go for just one, at least to get started, which do we choose?

howtofindgoldnuggets.com/articles/the_best_metal_detector_for_gold

They recommend the Garrett AT Gold as a VCF detector - cost about $700. For about $2200, we can get a Garrett ATX PI. I found their video on the unit very comprehensive.

youtube.com/watch?v=-La6xy5jV88

So my question is, if money isn't too much of an object for us....

1) Should I buy the Garrett ATX....or consider other models?
2) Does the Garrett ATX PI work as well (set up correctly) as a VCF detector for smaller nuggets / artifacts.
3) What other tools should we look at buying to improve our fossicking experience. Trowels, Scoopers and shake the crap out thingamajigs. :)

Appreciate your advice folks. We're also keen to join a group to learn good practices and for the social experience.

Welcome aboard Bluevein, I hope you enjoy what the forum has to offer.

Just on the subject of detectors, you'll receive more replies by posting the questions in the specific section on the forum, the reason being a lot of members don't frequent newbie introductions.

All the best.
Nugget

Welcome to the forum Bluevein. Good advice from Nugget there about directing your questions to the relevant forum sections as that is where all your answers will come from. You're embarking on a great hobby that will compliment your love for bush walking and with a bit of luck some gold and relics could well be within reach.

Best of luck with the forum and hope you gain a lot of useful info from it.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks for the welcome Nugget & Wal. :)

I thought i'd put an introductory post into the mix before starting to excavate other areas of the forum.

Might start excavating the forum tomorrow. :cool:

Welcome aboard guy's, good to see the Canberra connection continuing to grow. There's plenty of good spots within 2 hrs of town
good luck ;)

C&L

Latest posts