Brain Fade and Metal Detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Getting old sucks, what I used to do all day now takes me all day to do once, but yesterday I found I really do have an old age brain 8.( and there ain't no fix for it either.
I got the XP Deus out for charge up and play only to realize I couldn't remember how to use it, oh I could turn it on, but how did I use the settings, what were my old settings, where were my notes ?

NFI :8

It would appear that I have 3 options.

1/ Relearn the Deus ( while constantly fighting depression, very difficult, really isn't a viable option for me, the brain isn't the sponge it used to be nor do I have the dedication )

2/ Get a much simpler to operate detector ( yeah I know it's not the machine it's the operator, but this is my preferred option, but in some ways the most difficult. I would have to find/research a new machine (which 1 to get ) then sell/trade the Deus then learn the new machine )

3/ Give up the metal detector altogether

If you good people can give me some help with this it would be greatly appreciated.

The planned usage would be mainly coin shooting in parks, gardens and beaches, with the occasional foray into the GT for some nails,bullets gold

cheers Keith

Hey.... I'm still using my ace or I'd swap in a heartbeat lol !
Too late anyway boomp boomp.... that's two heartbeats. :eek:
Anyway.... there'll be no time to be depressed if your spending it all in the relearning process (bonus) :playful: :Y: :perfect:
cheapest detector is the one you own... :idea:

Keeping it simple is the key, use the tones to your advantage by picking a program and sticking to it - don't chop and change.

Everytime I go detecting with my Deus I simply turn it on set on hot tones and off I go - even no ground balancing is required if the mineralisation bars on the right side of the screen aren't pumping.

I like to listen to everything, hence I don't run any discrimination unless in a real noisy patch of iron, though you may want to use some discrimination to help screen out some less desirable targets at first.

Just like most modern detectors, there are simple programs and more enthusiast oriented programs available for use. Maybe try stick to a Basic program with a few tones, as you may find the 99 tone option will do your head in when getting reacquainted with the Deus.

Try using a reactivity setting of 2.5, that should give you a good compromise between depth and recovery speed - if you get into real junky ground you can adjust it a bit higher to help pick out the good targets from amongst the junk targets.

Unfortunately there is no real substitute for hours spent behind any given detector, some good sounding targets can be crap, whilst some bad sounding targets can turn out to be the find of the day (especially when relic hunting). Once again that means digging a mix of some suspect and good sounding targets to get your in ear in on what you should be listening for. If you are purely a park coin hunter, then it will be adavantageous to relearn our typical coin ID's and tones before hitting the parks.

As for depression, you are not the only one suffering from the black dog. Push yourself to get out into the fresh air, regardless of what you think you may or may not find - it will do you a world of good, the finds are a bonus. :D

Latest posts