Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grippsy25

Matt
Reaction score
Im wanting to do some coin shooting around my local area. I don't live near a beach so will mostly be parks and grassed areas.

I've had a quick look about and have seen the Discovery 1100 for $215, which is the upper end of my price range. Seems okay, but what do I know.

Would this be a suitable detector for my needs and for the price, or is there something else you would recommend?

Ty

Looking at some of the US reviews for the 1100, they seem pretty favourable for a detector around that price. If the cheapy Aldi does a reasonably good job plucking out coins and jewellery, then I can't see this detector having any problem, just don't expect huge depth from it. At least it comes from a large detector producer, so should you have any issues with it, there will be some support, they have a 5 year warranty from memory abd are made in the US, not China. They are made by First Texas Products, as a budget line of detectors to cater for people starting out in detecting. They also produce Fisher and Teknetics detectors, so they are not a small no name company.

There are a few Bounter Hunter Tracker IV owners out there also, and they seem to love their detectors for coin popping in parks etc, the 1100 is classed as one of their more advanced detectors. All the Bounty Hunter detectors run 6.6kHz, it pretty much comes down to what features you want on your detector, and of course your budget. For example, this detector has progressive disrimination of unwanted targets

Below is a link to the Bounty Hunter detector comparison chart, so you can see what features you get on any specific model.

http://bountyhuntermetaldetector.com/bounty_hunter_Metal_Detector_Comparison.htm

Google Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100, and at the top of the page is a you tube clip all about this detector.

Other detectors you should seriously look at considering, are the Tesoro Compadre ($220), the Teknetics Alpha 2000 ($235), and the Teknetics Eurotek ($199) I would consider these detectors to be of higher quality build, and in the case of the Alpha 2000, better value with regards to features and availability of coils.

The Alpha only requires one 9v battery vs 2 on the 1100 (9v batteries can be expensive), the Alpha is also more flexible when it comes to using the discrimination (notch feature not found on the 1100) and it runs a slightly higher frequency at 7.8kHz, so should be more sensitive to small metal targets.

The Teknetics Eurotek is their bottom of the line detector, but still has great features like target ID numbers indicating the conductivity of targets, adjustable sensitivity, fast response time over multiple targets, and light weight. Downside is that it has a plug in type coil which limits coil availability, and no notching ability, just progressive discrimination.

The Tesoro Compadre, despite having minimal controls (just a single discrimination control knob), and hardwired coil, this is a very simple to use coin and jewellery detector. It runs a higher 12kHz, so should be great on gold jewellery, fixed 8" coil, only requires one 9v battery, very lightweight at just under a kilo. It is a real turn on and go detector without having to worry about fiddling around with settings, other than Tesoros great discrimination controls (I had a Tesoro Vaquero, and the discrimination settings are spot on). Probably one of the biggest plusses of the Tesoro is they all come witn a lifetime warranty, no other manufacturer that I know of offers this. I reckon I have yet to see a negative review on this detector, and most owners are very patriotic about their Tesoros.

So it basically comes down to whether you want extra features and flexibility, LCD display, ability to upgrade coils, multiple tones etc, or a simple turn on and beep detector with powerful discrimination controls. If it were my choice, I'd look at either the Compadre or Alpha, probably in that order, as I prefer to listen to my target responses vs using LCD screens responses. :)

Wow, thanks Goldpick. Couldn't have asked for a better response. Seems like I've got a but to think about...

Thanks again.

Eurotek comes very highly rated for the $$$ especially in the iron trash

Latest posts