bogged

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfezz

kevin fairall
Reaction score
I have a 4x4 merc bus and the wife said lets us all go to solfa to check out camp areas some nices one there but as I drove onto the dirt grave road the back of the bus this hit the ground wheel spin stuck on the subframe out with the shovel 2hours digging just to see it sink back into that hole did not know why it keeps sinking ?!!!are then I looked in the back the bus is 3.5tons then there was the wifes scooter 400kg all the seat were full so there was another 1200kg I wound say all up the bus and all the goodys up around 6ton not made for sand that was me all day but I got out just to get home to find my son and his hairy mates drank old my cold beer not a happy chappy

sucks when that happens. Is it a Mercedes sprinter? If you notice yourself getting bogged down it''s easiest to stop before you dig yourself to the axle, air down your tires significantly by 10psi or so and then try to reverse out the way you came. Sand will be more compact behind you so reversing over your tracks is the better way out in most cases.

In sand a good tip I once received to prevent hopeless bogs is to drive as far as you can with 20 psi and if you get bogged it's time to go back. 20 PSI Gives you plenty of leigh way to drop your tire pressure to 10 PSI or even 5 psi and dramatically increase traction. I often travel solo in the 4X4 and if I don't have a winch handy or attachment point I'll stick to this rule. Some people are even more cautious and will generally go only as far as 2WD allows and only engage 4X4 to get out of a bog. That's a bit too conservative for my liking!

Yes nuggetino I like your approach. You need 4WD just to prevent unnecessary wheelspin damaging the track. Some vehicles are hopeless in 2WD anyway. Several of the guys on the Detecting WA site have bought the plastic ramps that are designed to be placed down on the soft surface for recovery. With that sort of weight I can see them wrapping around the wheel but I'd like to see them in action. I just bought another Isuzu 4WD same as this one 6000kg GVM. It's got a hydraulic PTO winch so I think that will end up on whichever one I end up keeping. We are always in the bush alone and it's just a matter of time till something like that happens.

We are in Greenbushes WA tonight. There are suppost to gemstones here but so far just road closures. Perhaps in the morning we will find a new way in. We've just flown all the way from Hawaii so Sandra has already flaked out and I'm not far behind. I just needed a little while playing in Geomap to see if I can identify an area.

Mate getting bogged is one thing - but struth to find your son and his hairy mates had polished off the coldies back home - that's where I would have drawn the line .... have a great 2015

I never get Bogged only stuck for 15 min or so :)

215400_10151386007783692_1398505435_n_zpscdefc2cb.jpg

Nice work, looks like you had what was needed to get out. 15 minutes nice work.

Hi Folks
As a brand new member with no detecting experience as yet I have been struggling to contribute anything worthwhile.
I have however been reading with interest experiences of being bogged in sand.
I live on the coast where we do a lot of beach fishing / driving, and here is one idea that is cheap and may help you if bogged in sand.
We use Hessian bags, potato sacks or similar, put a few shovels of sand into the bag, and place in front of tyres, pat down like a thick 2"+ envelope .
You will be surprised how easy it is to drive out on them. Stop on firm ground and walk back to collect, empty and roll up sacks for next time.
advantage is cost, and empty sacks take up very little room.
cheers,
Bob

Latest posts