blasts from the past

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I thought i may post up the cover of one of my books for kids. My nephew Tony did the illustrations and of course I wrote the story. Its about "poppy Rossco" who takes his grandsons out on my yacht the Midas Touch for a few sailing lessons..big mistake! Poppy Rossco gets kidnapped my the 'MONKMEES'..vile ape-like creatures who descend from a toxic cloud in balloons. Sage and Sandom must find their way to an island and rescue me..eerr.. him,along the way they are helped by some very odd characters. In the process they learn a lot about themselves,the ship and life.
1477650194_island_of_the_monkmees.jpg
This post is not intended as an avertisement for my work but is intended to show the types of interests I have and how I spend my time...away from the the'diggins' ;) below is a pic of the band i fronted some years ago, 'Spinifex' got air time on fm 106 in the late eighties and was rated at no.5 in the country at the time we disbanded. We were fortunate to support the American band HOT-RIZE,
1477651059_spinifex.jpg
on there Aussie odyssey.the band was....Myself on guitar and lead vocal, next to me is Quentin Fraser on Gibson 'Dobro'...He was a wizard on that thing!...in front on Banjo is Bruce Fumini..he was and still is one of the greatest exponents of 5 String Banjo I've ever come across and it was a real honour to have played along side him for those three years that we were together... and Robbie Frencham on Bass, he eventually moved on to other things and was replaced by his sister,Elizabeth...she had the sweetest voice in harmonies as well... and went on to attain a Masters Degree in music.she could play in any key and also in 'modal tuning' which involved dropping the 4th string to a minor note and we would have the Mt Kembla crowd scream'n for more when she did.They were 'heady days' indeed.

Come on people there must be many out there with a few pics of the old days and a story behind each one. Mine must be a little boring by now...I suppose.Anyway you might find this interesting...below is a copy of a letter sent to my Great Grandmother in 1915..its one of about 30odd that it has been my privilige to hold in my hands. it was during his Basic Training at Liverpool camp before his division sailed to Cairo,Egypt for further training before reinforcing the lines at Galipoli.
1477726632_alberts_letter.jpg

Found this on trove.Mr Colin McDonell was my third great grandfather on my mothers side,he was the keeper of The Gold Diggers Arms in Adelong.I bet he would have some stories to tell about the gold rush at Adelong.
1477729880_image.jpg

Wow!...those pics are unreal fellas. Doug..i wonder who the lady on the verandah was..any clue...a relative..maybe?..I'm only guessing but that little side building would have been the kitchen would it not... :) my old folks house at lithgow was similar construction to it and it had the kitchen separate to the main house like that..good pic mate ;) ...Eldorado..blown away! :eek: :cool: ...god what a tale..wonder if they got the blokes responsible..47 quid was like near a years wages or more back then!..be interesting if you could find out who they were ...great stuff fellas..i love it! 8) :cool:

Two guys were caught for the robbery,John Molloy alias Walsh and James Delacey.Turns out they were both found not guilty of burglary,but guilty of simple larceny on a technicality of a window was left open so they hadn't actually broken in.They were then charged with burglary for breaking into a gentlemans house near Tarcutta in the company of three others.Molloy and Delacey were found guilty of burglary and sentenced to 10 years hard labour on the roads.

Reefer,regarding your fourth great grandfather Nicholas Delaney and the Irish rebellion against British rule.My fourth great grandfather John Mernagh was a part of The Wicklow 5 and apparently was an unsung hero of the Rebellion.John led his band of followers in attacking government barracks,troops and local militia without warning,he was famous for using a blunderbuss he nicknamed Roaring Bess.The British government ordered further troops from England because they feared that John could possibly raise as many as 15000 men to fight with him.John was betrayed by an informer four months later for a large reward.He was to be sentenced to hang but was sent to NSW instead.He was born in Glenmalure and transported to Botany Bay in 1805.He became a pioneer of Braidwood and died there in 1857.

Not sure on who it is Reefer, The photo is blurry and I have tried to enlarge and enhance the person standing there.
I would like to put a photo up of the house as it stands now but I consider that a private thing for the current owner. :)

reefer said:
hehe Duel'n banjos...we do a version of that Doug...kind'a required skill for most players..hehe people just love to hear it over and over..i find....Anyway, as you know from my Dramatized Biography of my Fathers life..Langlands a Journey..,My great,great,great Great-grandfather was Nicholas Delaney..a hero of the 1789 Rebellion again British Rule in Ireland. For his role in the shooting of two british Yeoman he was sentenced to Death by hanging but later had the sentence commuted to 14years hard labour and arrived aboard the Atlas2 in oct1802. :cool: The family later moved one of the first herds of cattle over the Blue Mtns. and settled in Hartley. here in the picture below is my G.G.Grandfather John, with my father at 18mths. sitting on his knee :) https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/775/1476870573_50th_weddind_ann..jpg The occasion was a golden wedding anniversary. this was in 1915. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/775/1476870940_1854_in_concert.jpgabove as the Family Band.. 1854 .... At a Delaney family reunion at the time there 3000 descendants old Nicholas, of which 450 attended on the day. :lol:

wonder if the two young fella,s at the bottom right ended up in the trenches of France, hope not.
So many young Aussie and Kiwi,s never had children, it really put a dent in our gene pool.

davent said:
reefer said:
hehe Duel'n banjos...we do a version of that Doug...kind'a required skill for most players..hehe people just love to hear it over and over..i find....Anyway, as you know from my Dramatized Biography of my Fathers life..Langlands a Journey..,My great,great,great Great-grandfather was Nicholas Delaney..a hero of the 1789 Rebellion again British Rule in Ireland. For his role in the shooting of two british Yeoman he was sentenced to Death by hanging but later had the sentence commuted to 14years hard labour and arrived aboard the Atlas2 in oct1802. :cool: The family later moved one of the first herds of cattle over the Blue Mtns. and settled in Hartley. here in the picture below is my G.G.Grandfather John, with my father at 18mths. sitting on his knee :) https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/775/1476870573_50th_weddind_ann..jpg The occasion was a golden wedding anniversary. this was in 1915. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/775/1476870940_1854_in_concert.jpgabove as the Family Band.. 1854 .... At a Delaney family reunion at the time there 3000 descendants old Nicholas, of which 450 attended on the day. :lol:

wonder if the two young fella,s at the bottom right ended up in the trenches of France, hope not.
So many young Aussie and Kiwi,s never had children, it really PUT A DENT IN OUR GENE POOLl.

Huurrumm (said with a head turn to the side and eyes looking up) :lol:

Great stuff fellas! bushrangers,war heros, Lasseter...by the way Nightjar..was there a family connection in regard to your post..i think i read where there was some sort of controversy over whether it was him they found or not? All the same mate..good stuff fellas :lol:

Going to find the story but when Ben Hall lost his existence, We are not sure
who it was but either his wife or sister moved down to Cobargo and married into
our family some where. :)

I used to work out in the deserts in the 60s (still do). We would meet the nomadic Pitjantjatjara walking from the Musgraves across to Laverton in WA for a bit of a dance with their Wongipitja mates (we were around Mt Venn and Cosmo), carrying spears and woomeras (one is on my wall, complete with burn marks from fire-lighting rubbing sticks and dry hair - they would hold it up in the breeze in the woomera to ignite). Then they would walk back to the Musgraves. At night they would set fire to mulga and sleep with their dingos in a sem-circle huddled together by the fire (got a photo somewhere). No utes and .22s used by them then.

The cave Lasseter sheltered in alone for 25 days:

1477791934_lasseter_cave.jpg

Local sign erected 42 years ago by the mob from Docker River:

1477792029_lasseter_sign.jpg

We were prospecting for gold out there in the mid-2000s.

My great-uncle Bob, who I knew as a kid, was born to a wealthy family who ran the paper mill at Buckleys Falls on the Barwon River at Geelong (building still there). They lived in Barwon Bank (still there, National Trust), and Bob went to Geelong Grammar. Great-grandpa tried to build his own mill in 1992 (the Austral, also still there), as the 1890s depression went into full swing, creditors forclosed and he went broke. The sons scattered, my grandpa (Bob's brother) installed the first electric lighting at Ballarat railway station and married the daughter of one of the 11 guys who founded the Australian Navy around 1911 (previously there was only the Victorian volunteer navy). His office was the Cerberus, now sunk as a breakwater in Black Rock (his previous office was Nelson's Victory in Portsmouth). Here is that Great Grandpa Lt Commander, 11th Commissioned officer in the RAN:

1477796894_frederick.jpg

The Geelong great-grandpa went broke in the 1930s depression - my dad (his son) was a 16 year-old radio officer in the Pacific, mum's dad (i.e. another grandpa) fought in the trenches at 15 and served again in ww2 and one of her brothers was in the Pacific war at 16. Grandma was descended from an Irish convict - three family were among the first 2000 settlers in WA, surveyed the Australind settlement. One ancestor found the Margaret River goldfield, another walked to the Coolgardie goldfield from Albany (an 1839 settler in Angaston SA). I knew great-Grandpa at 92 (the guy who walked to Coolgardie) - he was a 6 foot 2 inch ex-lawyer farmer then (photo of me and him):

1477796219_bleby-yates.jpg

I explored for copper on the family farm in the 70s (Angus Park Estate) when drilling the Kapunda copper mine, without knowing the farm had belonged to the family. Another helped a Fenian political prisoner John Boyle O'reilly escape to Boston (Catalpa saga - O'Reilly got rich, bought a sailing ship in Java and came back and freed the prisoners from Fremantle gaol - when a British gunboat tried to stop them escaping they raised the American flag and dared them to start a war with America, and sailed away). Got a photo of me taken with his statue in Boston last year. Grandpa was a timber-cutter after the war (returned at 21 having been gassed and a bit shell-shocked but lived to his mid-80s farming). Mum was born in a two-room cabin he broad-axed when Grandma said she was damned if she would have a second child born in a tent.

Another son from Geelong was a newspaper editor in Narrogin, but great-uncle Bob went bush. Uncle Bob:

1477796600_bob.jpg

He was a Cobb and Co coach driver, ran his camel train from near Williams Creek to Coober Pedy with drinking water before the opal miners had a bore, around 1916 I suspect (I inherited his opals, which sparked a life-long interest). He was a dogger with RM Williams and others in the Musgraves - loaned his rifle to two Pitjantjara to shoot some roos for food but they really wanted it to shoot one of their guys who told his wife about some secret men's business. The victim's wife fled into Bob's camp and he protected her, and Bob was a witness at a trial where the victim's head was passed around by the judge in Alice Springs court (see book "The Great Australian Loneliness"). It was only a couple of years after the Coniston massacre of aborigines at Brook's Soak (still a lonely and isolated water-hole when I was there) and the public became very concerned when they found that the police had used torture etc to get confessions. There was a government enquiry, which reduced police powers over aborigines and replaced them with the patrol officer system (the first an anthropologist called Strehlow), and recognised some traditional law. Bob was befriended by Chas Duguid ("The Doctor and the Natives", "Not a Dying Race"), a Presbyterian doctor who founded a mission in the Musgraves (Ernabella) - a lot of whites disliked him because he supported the aborigines and didn't insist they wear any clothing on his mission, since it was not their custom. My great-uncle became the cook there, and later worked on Duguids farm in Magill near Adelaide where he died of old age in the 1950s, in his mid-80s. Bob with his wife on a camel:

1477796421_bob_on_camel.jpg

I worked on exploration and mining around the world, put in some of the first 4x4 tracks in the North Flinders with an aboriginal guy (Clem Coulthard - sons run Iga Warta), married the grand-daughter of a Ruhr mining engineer and daughter of a guy who escaped Hitler come to South Africa alone to work on a gold mine at 16 (her mum's family fled to Bulawayo in Rhodesia). Met her cave-diving in Namibia when working on the Tsumeb mine during the Angolan War, re-emigrated to Australia after the Soweto uprising (family were gaoled with Mandela), still prospecting. Discovered a gold mine, still operating producing 70,000 oz per year. It's been fun....

'Scuse reminiscenses - but you guys seem interested in such things.

davent said:
reefer said:

So many young Aussie and Kiwi,s never had children, it really put a dent in our gene pool.

Yes, it was sad - but Grandpa falsified his age at 15, was over there 7 years, gassed, shell-shocked and came back at 21 to die at 84 and leave a legacy of so many descendants that I don't even know the names of all my first cousins

Latest posts