Blackwood gold detecting area map

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Y'all
As with most forums I can't for the life of me find the Blackwood map which shows where we can detect and where we can't.
It's hiding somewhere in this website. It shows a road which is bordering the search area.
And if anyone tells me to use the search function I'll pinch all of your gold when I catch up with you!??

Bonacini said:
Here is the map the tells you where you can and CANT detect

All grey hashed area is no go zone anywhere else go for it simple

http://www.veac.vic.gov.au/documents/VEAC_Prospecting _Maps_B-G.pdf

THIS IS WRONG ADVICE the map is "recommended areas for prospecting" from a government instigated Victorian Environmental Assessment Council investigation report and to my knowledged is not legislated yet...

The Lerderderg State Park is off limits - the Wombat State Forest is not http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/518240/Map-Lerderderg-State-Park.pdf

casper

There is a whole thread titled Blackwood - Trentham area, with the last post within the last couple of days ..... Under Metal Detecting For Gold. There are some good maps and discussion of the area. I can't see how to give a link from my iPad. Cheers Dignit

Empty Pockets said:
Hi Y'all
As with most forums I can't for the life of me find the Blackwood map which shows where we can detect and where we can't.
It's hiding somewhere in this website. It shows a road which is bordering the search area.
And if anyone tells me to use the search function I'll pinch all of your gold when I catch up with you!??

Lerderderg State Park has the same status as a National Park. Prospecting is permitted in some Parks in Victoria and prospecting maps are published by Parks Victoria showing designated areas within those parks (google is your friend).

The following link provides a list of Parks that you can prospect in http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/popular-activities/fossicking. Lerderderg State Park is NOT on that list and the Lerderderg State Park Notes that you would have downloaded when doing your pre-trip planning (you did that didn't you??) does not mention fossicking as a permitted activity.

Just my opinion but the expansive area of State Forest outside the Park is a more attractive ground for gold seekers.

casper

You cant prospect on the east side of Greendale-Trentham rd to Blackwood, its all State Park, but on the west side of Mt Blackwood rd you can.
On that west side is the Struck Oil mine and the Red White and Blue mine. I have found a couple of grammers there not to long ago.

Hey everyone thanks for the help. I did reply earlier that I'd report in after the weekend but alas I don't see my reply above.

Anyway we started out by the map on O'brians road about 200m in from the main road and I slowly worked my way down the gully. It's my most hated type of ground with yellow drummy clay but none the less solid when digging with sharp rocks interdispersed throughout and also heavily mineralised so the detector was giving me lots of false readings which I quickly learnt to separate from the potential gold targets. It was difficult to keep the Minelab Eureka Gold close to the ground with all the sticks and new growth in the way. It's a great detector with a narrower audio range than some of the more expensive models which does occasionally dampen my spirits when there's nothing significant picked up but when a worthwhile target comes up it talks to me very well and never fails to sing the gold nugget tune. I picked up a couple of bullets and one piece of rusty tin.
I do prefere the ground closer to Trentham but this place shouldn't be ignored if gold was found in all of the surrounding areas.

We weren't there for very long for a change because we also drove down to O'brians Crossing which was packed with tourists and local weekend campers with music blaring in the background and numerous empty bottles of alcohol lying around everywhere. It's a picturesque place if natural beauty and best visited during the colder months if you want to be alone there.

All in all this greater area is worth a visit and especially so if you trek down into some of the very difficult to reach gullies. The area doesn't look like much on the map showing where you can prospect and Google maps won't Prepare you for the steep and difficult trek down into the gullies.

Put a couple of days aside and pack your survival gear for the long walk down into the gully and with some solid detecting I'm sure someone will pick up some worthwhile gold.

That side is the lerderderg state park you cannot detect there.

SC75

We used the second map link at top of this post. It clearly shows north of O'brians Rd as the recommended detecting area. O'brians Crossing is obviously outside of that area which we had a look at but didn't detect there.
Is this an out dated map then?

Empty Pockets said:
SC75

We used the second map link at top of this post. It clearly shows north of O'brians Rd as the recommended detecting area. O'brians Crossing is obviously outside of that area which we had a look at but didn't detect there.
Is this an out dated map then?

YES! outdated !! suggest you read all the responses to your original post

In a nutshell the "recommended" prospecting area depicted on that map was never legislated however there are foggy memories of it being part of a 1 year trial now long expired......

casper

It's was the Morning Star and Shaws Lake zone but it never got the green light to prospect. However EP you can go east from the Blackwood bridge up, the 2 gullys are a Long gully and Nuggety creek, they run right up to Yanky rd. All the best.

SC75 said:
It's was the Morning Star and Shaws Lake zone but it never got the green light to prospect. However EP you can go east from the Blackwood bridge up, the 2 gullys are a Long gully and Nuggety creek, they run right up to Yanky rd. All the best.

Ill mark that in my map for next time.
Thanks

No worries mate, but just a warning if you do go and check out Long gully make sure you have your socks over your pants and your shirt tucked in because its leech city down there.
In one day i found 5 leeches on me and you don't really know there on you until you feel a itching feeling. The last one i found on me is when i was about to take a piss when i seen a bit of blood running out of my jocks :mad: :eek: yeap one of the little bastards latched onto my ball bag :eek: it just so happens i had a hole in my jocks.
Never again did i go unprotected, and i always wear waders just in case.

Latest posts