Black Inch Ants are active - Vic Forests

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfin - Mrs Loamer sends her best.

1397715812_aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

I take it she is in with the Dolly Grays.

The Last time I went to a C'wood home game was at Vic park, as a guest, upstairs.
I was warned not to wear any club paraphernalia or barrack, just get into the free grog and food, and be quiet.
BUT
The mere fact that I wasn't part of the furniture produced results.
I was abused, spat on and pissed on at the urinal.
We had to fight our way out, flashing freddie the fox helped, but a fight is was.

Thanks Loamer for the heads up on the ants, My old man owned the Dunolly Bakery 45 years ago and hate to be biased but they haven't had a good pie in the area since.
Anyway on to something a bit important, if you are heading to Heathcote area for a bit of a fossic be careful if you take your trusty four legged, mans best friend with you, noticed a lot of signs up at the edge of the forest saying 1080 poison had been spread.

cought up with the oldman over easter camped a night at the pyronese, he had a new tale to tell of the same day. again cutting firewood went to pickup a log and had a bunch of ants run up hes jeans ...:) did the pants off roll down the hill dance lol

ZcrHZM5.gif

Thanks Tails for the 1080 heads up. Old Max the dog is smart but not that smart!

The Dunolly bakery.... still does a good cheese sausage roll (and the Portello is always cold). Its quite trendy with the weekend 4WD brigade now as well. They tend to look down at dirty, unshaven old prospectors driving beat up old utes. That's Ok with me - Max usually pxsses on their tyres to show his utter contempt for them as well.

Only time I've been bitten by an inch ant was as a 5 year old. I was standing over an inch ants nest cutting them in half with scissors after my dad had earlier explained the metric system to me. Had the rest of an inch ant climb up my pants and bite me on the hand. I ran laps of the house screaming while my mum chased after me trying to work out what had happened. I definitely deserved to suffer mind you. I seem to half a lot of trouble with Jack jumper ants where I go detecting. Often wind up with a few in my boots.

Philosophy

The bull ant famously appears in the philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer's major work, The World as Will and Representation, as a paradigmatic example of strife and constant destruction endemic to the "will to live".

"But the bulldog-ant of Australia affords us the most extraordinary example of this kind; for if it is cut in two, a battle begins between the head and the tail. The head seizes the tail in its teeth, and the tail defends itself bravely by stinging the head: the battle may last for half an hour, until they die or are dragged away by other ants. This contest takes place every time the experiment is tried." [4]

Learnt a valuable lessen yesterday. Don't wear shorts when detecting. I was out detecting at Amherst yesterday, was scraping a signal when felt pain, a lot of pain on my inner thigh not 3 inches from my no go zone. Stepped away, dropped shorts around ankles and tackled the biggest inch ant I have ever seen, I swear he had a set of sickles up front and very evil intent. So if any reports of a guy in the bush wearing snake gaiters with shorts around his ankles and waving something wildly in his hand don't be alarmed. Stupid unsociable ant if he cant handle somebody taking the roof off his house and then stomping all over it, well then he can go bite me. Errr let me work on that. Pics to follow. :eek: :eek: ;) lol not really. p.s. the signal was a lead shot

Lucky you only had one mate, finding yourself halfway through or in a nest is never fun. I've been told that ant nests are protected as there are some rare ones out there. Might need clarification on this though per state

I think its amazing the colonies senses and how they follow / track you when near nests. Best miners on the goldfield. Keep track of ant tailing piles color ;)

Yep very unsociable ants the Myrmecia species, the smaller Jack Jumpers are the worst of a bad lot, with much more powerful venom.

peterau said:
Learnt a valuable lessen yesterday. Don't wear shorts when detecting. I was out detecting at Amherst yesterday, was scraping a signal when felt pain, a lot of pain on my inner thigh not 3 inches from my no go zone. Stepped away, dropped shorts around ankles and tackled the biggest inch ant I have ever seen, I swear he had a set of sickles up front and very evil intent. So if any reports of a guy in the bush wearing snake gaiters with shorts around his ankles and waving something wildly in his hand don't be alarmed. Stupid unsociable ant if he cant handle somebody taking the roof off his house and then stomping all over it, well then he can go bite me. Errr let me work on that. Pics to follow. :eek: :eek: ;) lol not really. p.s. the signal was a lead shot
Those bastards will actually come at you and attack you if you upset them peterau. Watch where you step and where you dig out there mate, as you've already found out they have a ferocious bite. I believe you're correct as well Atom, ants nests are protected same as are plants etc in state forests, so don't harm the poor little ants that mean you no harm you horrible detectorists out there:lol: :lol:

Anybody old enough to remember the movie, THEM. Traumatised me as a kid and I relived it yesterday. Will seek counselling. lol

peterau said:
Anybody old enough to remember the movie, THEM. Traumatised me as a kid and I relived it yesterday. Will seek counselling. lol
You're traumatized peterau what about the poor people that may have seen you doing a war dance with your dacks down around your ankles out in the middle of nowhere?

Latest posts