Bit a help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy forum'rs, can any ony help me with the cfm of this compressor, i picked it up this morning as a payment for some truck chasis welding, the poor bloke had fallen short of the coin to pay for the job so i grabbed this as payment, im not full bottle on commpressors so any help would be greatly appreciated as to the cfm output how long they can run for and if they are any good, the engine is a twin cylinder lombardini diesel up to what i have been led to believe is a hydrovane commpressor............ i think...... :| :D
1406424386_compressor_001-optimized.jpg

1406424386_compressor_002-optimized.jpg

LDA 672, been a real pain in the butt to try and find a workshop manual on, it might just end up being a trip to a diesel mech's shop for a going over i think, there are no numbers or ID plates on the commpressor end, so thats stuffed up any ideas about working out how many cfm it can push, anyways,
thanks for your help guys ;)

Hay DWT,

Free air delivery is swept volume x rpm. swept volume is bore x stroke.

Just looking at the size of the cylinder it looks about 500cc which would put it about 1000 l/min assuming 2000 rpm which is about 35 cfm at a very very rough guess.

Or you could do it the scientific way, this will give you the actual CFM at working pressure, not unloaded free air delivery.

1 Determine the volume of your air compressor tank in gallons. This should be clearly marked on the tank itself by the manufacturer.

2 Divide the tank volume by 7.48 (7.48 equals the number of gallons in one cubic foot.) The number that you get after the division is the tank volume expressed in cubic feet.

3 Release the air from your compressor.

4 Begin refilling the compressor with air. Record the amount of time that it takes to refill the tank while paying close attention to the compressor's tank gauge. You will need to record the psig (pounds per square inch) at two separate times in the refill process: once at the moment the compressor kicks in and once at the moment the compressor kicks out.

5 Take the psig indicated on the compressor's tank gauge when the compressor kicked in and subtract it from the psig indicated when the compressor kicked out. For example, if the compressor kicks in at 75 psig and kicks out at 100 psig then the difference would be 25 psig.

6 Divide the difference between the two recorded psigs by 14.7. The result will give you the amount of pressure added during the tank's filling cycle in terms of atm (atmospheric pressure).

7 Take the volume of the tank expressed in cubic feet (calculated in Step 2) and multiply it by the amount of pressure added during the tanks filling cycle in terms of atmospheric pressure (calculated in Step 6). This is the number of cubic feet that your compressor pumps in the time it took for your tank to fill (recorded in Step 4).

8 Convert this number to minutes. To do this, take the number of cubic feet found in Step 7 and divide it by the number of seconds it took to pump this amount. Multiply the result by 60 and you have the CFM of your air compressor.

backcreek said:
Hay DWT,

Free air delivery is swept volume x rpm. swept volume is bore x stroke.

Just looking at the size of the cylinder it looks about 500cc which would put it about 1000 l/min assuming 2000 rpm which is about 35 cfm at a very very rough guess.

Or you could do it the scientific way, this will give you the actual CFM at working pressure, not unloaded free air delivery.

1 Determine the volume of your air compressor tank in gallons. This should be clearly marked on the tank itself by the manufacturer.

2 Divide the tank volume by 7.48 (7.48 equals the number of gallons in one cubic foot.) The number that you get after the division is the tank volume expressed in cubic feet.

3 Release the air from your compressor.

4 Begin refilling the compressor with air. Record the amount of time that it takes to refill the tank while paying close attention to the compressor's tank gauge. You will need to record the psig (pounds per square inch) at two separate times in the refill process: once at the moment the compressor kicks in and once at the moment the compressor kicks out.

5 Take the psig indicated on the compressor's tank gauge when the compressor kicked in and subtract it from the psig indicated when the compressor kicked out. For example, if the compressor kicks in at 75 psig and kicks out at 100 psig then the difference would be 25 psig.

6 Divide the difference between the two recorded psigs by 14.7. The result will give you the amount of pressure added during the tank's filling cycle in terms of atm (atmospheric pressure).

7 Take the volume of the tank expressed in cubic feet (calculated in Step 2) and multiply it by the amount of pressure added during the tanks filling cycle in terms of atmospheric pressure (calculated in Step 6). This is the number of cubic feet that your compressor pumps in the time it took for your tank to fill (recorded in Step 4).

8 Convert this number to minutes. To do this, take the number of cubic feet found in Step 7 and divide it by the number of seconds it took to pump this amount. Multiply the result by 60 and you have the CFM of your air compressor.
:eek: WOW:eek: i dont know what to say mate, except thanks, thanks for taking the time to type all this out, i had to drop the injectors into a diesel injector guru today, i got the old girl running and it smoked me clean out of the shed :lol: so i will have to wait to get it running again before i can nut out the cfm, from the sounds of it its going to be to small for what i need, my drills use a whopping great 180cfm so i might have to fix her up and move it on, only after ive done your cfm check though of course.........awesome......... ;)

The compressor in the photo looks just like mine. I bought a new valve set some 20 years ago and from memory I was told it was a Maco. Compressor with a capacity of 64 cfm. After many long years of sitting idle I have found a use for the machine again, unfortunately the injector pump is not pumping to one cylinder of the Lombardini so I will have to remove it for repair.
Thanks to everyone for the service manual contacts.

Latest posts