Be aware of flash flooding!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is some rain forecast this weekend for Canberra.

If anyone is going to shoalhaven DO NOT CAMP CLOSE TO THE RIVER

You can have zero rain at Oallen , but if there is heavy rain closer towards Canberra the floodwaters can rise to 3 - 4 metres above current levels at Oallen

Dont think that just because there is no rain at the Forde that you're going to be safe , and allow for any inaccuracies in the weather report

1392366824_image.jpg

Stay safe guys.......

That's fantastic Goldrocs....no pictures of a hi-banker with a cross through it,... :D...just kidding mate. That river can rise 1m in 10 minutes. stay safe.

Okay people , here is a photo of the new Stealth Amphibious Highbanker i have been working on

1392368163_amphibious_highbanker.jpg

Okay i admit it , thats a troopy getting washed downstream at Oallen ford last year

If the water on the crossing level gauge says anything higher than 400 mm i wouldnt even try crossing it with a troopy , it can flow quite fast there and your vehicle would be getting hit with about 2 tonnes of force

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDN60234/IDN60234.068232.plt.shtml

This site is either live or within 20 minutes of real time

If BOM says 0.5 metres like right now that means its 1.5 metres below the actual crossing so at the moment there is zero flood risk

just understand it can change suddenly and you dont want "suddenly" to happen when youre asleep in a tent at the waters edge

Don't you just hate it when the mirrow on your troopy is broken and legally you can't drive it.

Don't enter any flood water ever.

There are Old Hero's and Bold Hero's BUT There is no OLD BOLD HERO........!

Both Goldrocs and myself are Qualified Swift Water Rescuers. Both in different services.
We will never enter Flood waters because we have to be somewhere else or have to get home.

Stay safe and put it off until the weather improves.
it not much fun sloshing around in a wet camp.
cheers
TheSmithy

May the flood waters produce a ounce to the fathom. Best of luck and may the heavens open in vic as well. Cheers

mad Mike said:
Is oallen ford productive after heavy rain?

believe it or not after all the rain we had through the weekend , the shoalhaven didnt even rise more than a 2 - 3 inches according to the water level transducers placed along it

In answer to your question you need to define " productive "

There has been moderate floods that can change parts of the Shoalhaven and make it barely recognisable

Yes . the gold will move . but where it moves to is beyond accurate prediction , many crevices that have been cleaned out might get restocked but there are so many variables that determine if gold gets moved " to your spot " ,or if the water flow is so strong that it rips everything out of your usual spot and leaves it clean.

you just have to go there after a flood , and let your pan do the talking

As nice and handy oallen ford is it seems that it gets a good going over so its not high on my priority list

just a quick reminder about flood waters

the rain we are getting in some parts of NSW today is pretty heavy so be mindful about safety

some rivers can rise a few metres in less than an hour

plan your trips accordingly and check on the BOM website for your area before you go

a few members here have had "near misses" with flooding rivers rising faster than they predicted

dont be a statistic folks

Moruya today
1409052868_moruya.jpg

Oallen forde last year
1409052891_oallen_forde.jpg

noooooooo not the 4by

its the same down here mate, only a fortnight ago i was digging untill dark came back over the ford and it was up to the mirrors nearly didn't see due to the fog

G0lddigg@ said:
noooooooo not the 4by

its the same down here mate, only a fortnight ago i was digging untill dark came back over the ford and it was up to the mirrors nearly didn't see due to the fog

3 seconds

we usually look at something that could be "marginal" and make a wise choice to not do it or do it a different way.

but when you're tired after a long days digging and you come to that "point of no return" it only needs a 3 second delay before your brain catches up and you drive just that little bit too far before the panic kicks in with the realisation that the water is up a little bit higher and your car is now a boat with no motor. :(

i had a near miss yesterday at a strangers factory where someone spilled oil on a sloping driveway just before i drove a forklift across it , its only a miracle that the forklift stopped sliding just 2 feet short of falling over a 5 metre embankment into a flooded canal below.
Everything i did since then i am doing a quick mental safety check , whether its work related or planning a trip to the bush :)

Latest posts