Bare minimum Gold detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Boys I'm just a beginner at this and have bought myself a cheapo coin finder to stave the craving of having a go, but I'd like to know what in your estimation is the bare minimum machine that I could save for to have at least a decent chance of a nugget or 2 near Ballarat? I know any detector will find one if it's big enough and not too deep, but being realistic... on a budget, what would be your detector advice for a saving up target?
C

Hey ColinD

I bought my first detector in Ballarat, I had no idea about detectors at the time and the sales guy recommended a gp3000 (second hand obviously). I went out detecting that same day and was very impressed with what it could find and at the depths it could punch.
It wasn't until 2 weeks later while I was sorting out all the "junk" I had found that I realised not all gold comes out of the ground shiny and GOLD.

3 nuggets emerged after dropping them in hydrocloric acid I was stoked! They were covered in a thick hard clay!!!
After doing some serious research I was able to purchase some extra coils and off to WA I went where I found more nuggets with it.

I now have a minelab sdc2300 and have a fair bit of knowledge as to what type of prospecting I do and can tell the difference between junk and gold. Hahaha

I would recommend a gp3500 which go from $1800-$2500 but they are awesome machines as a first gold dedicated detector and coils are easy to obtain for them when you have mastered it. Hope that helps mate

The Go-Find series isn't aimed at nugget hunting. They are an entry level coin/relic machine with some fancy trimmings. Be nice to have in the car for a come-by-chance swing :D
For anyone to give you a decent opinion is hard without you setting a realistic timeframe & budget yourself. Without knowing how much you could save within a certain timeframe makes it difficult.

Heres a post with some prices/machines to consider:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=147008#p147008

Get a sdc mate find .5 grams too 1 gram in 2 to 3 hours every time I go out .But if you want the big nuggets get a sd 2100 had one 4 years and found a lot of gold with it .Still my favorite but if you can afford a sdc they are really cool on the small gold I call mine the mop! :)

Thanks to everyone... I've looked at the SDC 2300 after what's been said, that's the one I want, felt it in my bones as soon as I saw it.
Got some other things to sell first :|
Appreciated
C

I think a good budge detector to start detecting with for gold would be a 2200d they will use a great range of coils capable of great depth and are easy to use you should be able to pick one up for $1200 TO $1800 but a better choice is a 3500 about $2500 but worth the extra money all detectors will find gold but the amount of gold you are finding or not finding can become frustrating so you need everything in your favour regards john :)

Hi Colin. I have detected for gold since the release of the 2000. If you plan to detect more then say 30 days a year I would save up for a 4500. They handle hot ground and don't miss much gold. So I believe a 4500.would give you more gold.....if you plan to put in 30 days or more year detecting. If you will only detect occassionally get a 2200 or a later model you can afford

RDD

RedDirtDigger said:
Hi Colin. I have detected for gold since the release of the 2000. If you plan to detect more then say 30 days a year I would save up for a 4500. They handle hot ground and don't miss much gold. So I believe a 4500.would give you more gold.....if you plan to put in 30 days or more year detecting. If you will only detect occassionally get a 2200 or a later model you can afford

RDD
Shouldnt that be the other way 'round ? If you arent going to do much ,, then the better machine would give you better odds . ???

ColinD said:
Boys I'm just a beginner at this and have bought myself a cheapo coin finder to stave the craving of having a go, but I'd like to know what in your estimation is the bare minimum machine that I could save for to have at least a decent chance of a nugget or 2 near Ballarat? I know any detector will find one if it's big enough and not too deep, but being realistic... on a budget, what would be your detector advice for a saving up target?
C

If you want a New one for about $1500 don't forget to check out the Whites TDI SPP or the TDI SL and at about $2600 the TDI Pro OZ Series,

But The SDC is A Killer on Small Gold, Many here Pay for their fuel with theirs,

Well I've seen them all even had a mate trying to get me to sell my 2100 for a 4500 but after he came out to a patch I've collected over 300 pieces from and he got 35 bits all .1 to .2 .he's changed his mind , don't get caught up in the hype .Not saying the newer models are no good either .Loamer might agree the eyes are worth more than any detector and the nut behind the wheel .Get a sdc mate you will pay for it in six months if you only go out three hours every Saturday . :)

Drbean said:
Well I've seen them all even had a mate trying to get me to sell my 2100 for a 4500 but after he came out to a patch I've collected over 300 pieces from and he got 35 bits all .1 to .2 .he's changed his mind , don't get caught up in the hype .Not saying the newer models are no good either .Loamer might agree the eyes are worth more than any detector and the nut behind the wheel .Get a sdc mate you will pay for it in six months if you only go out three hours every Saturday . :)

That Could be down to the Skill and Knowledge that you have with your Machine, 300?? That's Mighty Impressive. What ever it is You Should Bottle It and Sell it, We all need A Little of That Midas Touch,

Cool, Keep up The Good Work,,, John

Well a bit of saving and sacrifice and I now own a Minelab GPX4500, bought it in that promotion that was on. Thanks for the advice above, still feel like I want an SDC though, so the saving starts again while I have fun with this beast and try to learn how to use it properly. I did always plan to save for 2 machines and the $3200 offer on the 4500 was too good to pass up.
So just to let you know I wasn't a tyre kicker LOL 8) and thanks again for the help and advice.
C

Latest posts