Bad times coming

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outback said:
silver said:
Probly best in the light of day now... just to clear the mind :

Not me... im just about to have my first beer :beer:

I can now see why your post numbers are so high ' huge amount of waffle !
Have you ever done an original post ?

I can see why Bailmain Bob asks for better setup on PA !

Many, but of course you would have to be interested in the posts on things like gold and prospecting ;)

goldierocks said:
Adrian ss said:
200 mtr depth is buckets for war ships.
That area of ocean is where PNG get a major supply of fish. Why give it to the Chinese.
The Chinese are grabbing control of as much ocean as they can get their tentacles on.....A fishing port so far from home..Give me a break.

The Chinese only ever do anything that is an advantage for them and preferably a disadvantage to everyone else.

This was and always will be a huge mistake.
https://www.darwinport.com.au/about/about-darwin-port
10 m maximum depth for the port (at present). Don't know where you got 200 m.
You may remember Japan - fishing the Arctic Ocean for whales.....
Are you suggesting that we don't do anything that is to our advantage?

OK my metres should have been Feet.... My bad.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...hUKEwiVp5-_l-_tAhXByjgGHctECP0Q4dUDCA0&uact=5

The Chinese are not going to bung their port in shallow water if major dredging will be required

The depth of the sea between New Guinea and the closest Australian coast line is mainly 5080 m (160260 ft), with the depth increasing to the west. The sea lies over the Arafura Shelf, part of the Sahul Shelf.
Plenty of war ships have sailed through those seas.
Basin countries: Australia, Indonesia, and Pap...
Islands: Aru Islands, Croker Island, Goulburn I...
Surface area: 650,000 km2 (250,000 sq mi)
Max. width: 560 km (350 mi)

A bit later:
On further investigation this map agrees with you and if it is correct then how was it that MH370 could not be found in such shallow water through the Indian ocean off our west coast where the aircraft was believed to have crashed? I thought that the ocean depth in the Indian ocean was thousands of feet deep not a couple of hundred feet indicated on this map??.....Someone has got it all wrong.

1609108958_mld_mean.jpg

Outback said:
silver said:

I don't really think that's a fair call Jack, GR's posts are sometimes long but they are very well thought out from a scientiffic point of view and add very valuable knowledge to the forum that otherwise might not make it here.

There are sections on the forum you don't have to read if you don't want to.

I very rarely read your financial doom threads but we leave them up as some are interested in contributing to them, sometimes you just have to agree to dissagree....

If I followed and exercised everything you posted up I'd have nowhere to live, a crap load of gold that I would have purchased at the top of the market and would be bartering for food. :lol: In reality though my main asset has gone up 8% in value just in the past 8 months, my pantry is full and I don't own much gold... Go figure. :p

Mr Magoo said:
Adrian ss said:
And now China is building a "Fishing Port" 200 k of our shores.
How long do you reckon it will be before we see Chinese war ships and subs parked in that port.
What the hell does the New Guinea Gov think they are doing

Correction. As usual the Aussie government is slow. Should of secured it years ago. Beaten by the Chinese.

Slow with OBD. Goodbye Holden.

It was a very strategic move on China's part and has caught the government off guard, you can pretty much guarantee there will be some type of chinese military presence there and just as the man made islands in the South China sea they will most likely setup defensive and offensive weapons.

It's not good.

Adrian ss said:
A bit later:
On further investigation this map agrees with you and if it is correct then how was it that MH370 could not be found in such shallow water through the Indian ocean off our west coast where the aircraft was believed to have crashed? I thought that the ocean depth in the Indian ocean was thousands of feet deep not a couple of hundred feet indicated on this map??.....Someone has got it all wrong.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14143/1609108958_mld_mean.jpg

In this case, that's you, mate!
Your chart is titled Mixed Layer Depth Mean, it is NOT a chart of ocean depths. 'Mixed layer depth' provides info about ocean surface water being mixed with deeper ocean water, which I'd guess is useful info for fishing and weather, etc.

Outback said:
silver said:

Ha... actually, I was letting you know you were starting to waffle on a bit half pis*ed (so you could save grace).... but you were probly past picking up on it (as you can see lol )

Outback said:
Hello GR ,
Best I get back to you as I'm half pis*ed & wish to study your post sober before replying .

Suggest you adjust your quoted gold price of about $1660.00 US to today's $1872.01 , better check your other figures as well ' I'm saying this with respect . :)

Cheers
Jack . :beer:

Outback said:
What GS ' you just copy and post stuff at the time of writing without checking the date of the url :eek:

Not that interested in your posts anymore , shame as you posted some good stuff earlier :(

Why have you never signed off with your first name ?

jack

All good :p

Edit... probly should say that welcoming newbies over time does tend to lift the old post count number...... as well as waffle :p
And as for my first name too.. well.... it's nunya to you :p

Adrian, Torres Strait is very shallow (7 to 15 m water depth) and can only be traversed through two routes:

(a) Endeavour Strait (purple line on chart) for small vessels.
(b) Prince of Wales Channel: Larger ships transiting Torres Strait enter the Prince of Wales Channel from the West just north of Booby Island by way of the Gannet or Varzin Passages. The minimum depths for deep draught sThere have been 14 groundings of bulk carriers and cargo vessels since 1970 recorded by AMSA, and historically, hundreds of shipwrecks hipping in the Great Barrier Reef pilotage area are found here (10.3m Nov 2011). Shipping with a 12.2m static draught or less are permitted to transit the area.[18].

However, we were discussing water depth at the port, not water depth in Torres Strait. It is 10 m at present (not your 200 m or even your 200 feet, and less than the 12 m static draught permitted to traverse the area). And that is a major limitation, although without knowing the configuration of the port floor, I don't know what might be achieved by dredging.

A bit like the guy who drowned in an average of 2 inches of water. :lol:

Torres Strait is Australian waters, with the border with PNG only a few km off the PNG coast, the only PNG waters being extremely shallow coastal waters. The Australian mandatory vessel reporting system requires all vesselsincluding those on overseas, interstate or intrastate voyagesto identify themselves and what their intended passage is through the region. The vessel can then be tracked as it moves through the Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait. The port at Daru is outside Torres Strait to the east.

1609113679_soe2016_mar_fig38_torres_strait_region-01.jpg

The assumption is always that China's motives are military, but ships are no longer very effective weapons in these days of accurate missiles and drones, particularly in a strait only 150 km wide, and at any point only 10s of km from Australia's Torres Strait islands. Quite possibly the aim is efficient fishing and the need for somewhere for fishing boats to refuel (China has a lot of mouths to feed). Which also may not be desirable, but PNG has not really developed its fishing industry. The Torres Strait Treaty allows Papua New Guinean nationals to fish in Australian waters - the Torres Strait islanders are now asking the Australian government to review this treaty.

There I go, waffling again... :playful:

grubstake said:
Adrian ss said:
A bit later:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14143/1609108958_mld_mean.jpg

Your chart is titled Mixed Layer Depth Mean, it is NOT a chart of ocean depths. 'Mixed layer depth' provides info about ocean surface water being mixed with deeper ocean water, which I'd guess is useful info for fishing and weather, etc.

Hmmm, you are correct, I have misinterpreted quite a bit of info.
I stand corrected.
Why then is it so difficult to locate MH370 in such shallow water?

Adrian ss said:
grubstake said:
Adrian ss said:
A bit later:

I stand corrected.

No probs Adrain - some of us have spent time up there, so automatically know. So far as I can see the Chinese cannot even legally fish in Torres Strait, but I suppose they might do so under the PNG flag. Although PNG might be cautious of that in case Australia bans PNG as well. I never understood why people assumed that a fishing port further east up the coast would be used to serve Torres Strait fishing boats. I assumed that it would be a refueling port for China's deep-water trawlers. Too shallow for normal big navy vessels as well.

I don't understand your question re MH370 (why you think the water is shallow where they were looking)? The Indian Ocean averages 4,000 m deep, and where they were searching was the deepest part, mostly greater than 5,000 M. As someone pointed out, the map that you posted was not a map of ocean depth. Here is one of depth:

1609142406_indian_ocean_bathymetry.jpg

True, but "Bad Times" is a bit ill-defined and fed into what China is doing economically (which included buying gold and ports - introduced in part by the person who started the thread). I agree that the aircraft search is pushing the envelope a bit too far, but that came out of people assuming that the port would be able to take naval vessels that would give us hard times, despite it being too shallow..

I'll bet Chinka will try to get PNG to reclaim the Torres straight area as their own as it's so close to them. If you know what I mean.

Maybe the torres straight islanders will want to remain where they are instead of being part of new guinea.

goldtrapper said:
I'll bet Chinka will try to get PNG to reclaim the Torres straight area as their own as it's so close to them. If you know what I mean.

Sort of already part of us, so even closer - but getting off topic.

goldierocks said:
Adrian ss said:
grubstake said:
Adrian ss said:
A bit later:

I stand corrected.

No probs Adrain - some of us have spent time up there, so automatically know. So far as I can see the Chinese cannot even legally fish in Torres Strait, but I suppose they might do so under the PNG flag. Although PNG might be cautious of that in case Australia bans PNG as well. I never understood why people assumed that a fishing port further east up the coast would be used to serve Torres Strait fishing boats. I assumed that it would be a refueling port for China's deep-water trawlers. Too shallow for normal big navy vessels as well.

I don't understand your question re MH370 (why you think the water is shallow where they were looking)? The Indian Ocean averages 4,000 m deep, and where they were searching was the deepest part, mostly greater than 5,000 M. As someone pointed out, the map that you posted was not a map of ocean depth. Here is one of depth:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/4386/1609142406_indian_ocean_bathymetry.jpg

Yes I got it very wrong through misinterpretation. Sorry about that.

"Bad Times Coming"
I felt that this covered a very wide range of possibilities and China bunging a fishing port so close to our Northern Coast Line is one of them.
Where MH370 is concerned; It just popped into my mind while reading about ocean depths.
I will go back to my rocking chair now.

Adrian ss said:
goldierocks said:
Adrian ss said:
grubstake said:
Adrian ss said:
A bit later:

I stand corrected.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/4386/1609142406_indian_ocean_bathymetry.jpg

Yes I got it very wrong through misinterpretation. Sorry about that.

"Bad Times Coming"
I felt that this covered a very wide range of possibilities and China bunging a fishing port so close to our Northern Coast Line is one of them.
Where MH370 is concerned; It just popped into my mind while reading about ocean depths.
I will go back to my rocking chair now.

It's all important AdrianSS... I was just thinking yesterday about the worry lately over Ch!n$ involvement in world political scenarios etc&etc, and the thought crossed my mind that if they are only realizing all this now.... then how long has it all been going on for and is the picture of the world we live in constructed partly by covert involvement of other countries in order to weaken our perceived political freedoms over time in order to make us all accepting of regime changes re overlords, and apathetic enough of our own political leaders and distrusting enough of the ethical policeing of society currently under way.... that that very apathy and distrust widespread through western society could make some people welcome change with open arms enough to accept the abhorrent in the longest term ?
Better keep our eyes open wider to these bad times coming cause it would definitely be a many faceted set of circumstances.
I believe the picture of the world we live is painted for us, and that if we the many wanted a better picture of the world that we could paint a thing of beauty without the help of the previous artists painting right now.
;) ;)

Latest posts