Bad news

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel I must spread this around to try and save our best mates. On another forum that I visit more to do with detecting a guy lost his dog. The vid he showed was his dead dog and a short description and frustration of loosing a loved one. I assume this was due to baits. For the areas that I travell lately bait signs are becoming more common. The stink I have with this is why isn't there a cheap and available antidote for these baits? Simple there isn't one. Like I said in the other website if ever you treated your dog the way a bait does in its last hours cos it takes hours you would be up for jail time. The pain the agony the confusion and at the end death! I can't believe this process isn't more regulated. Even for the pests there has to be a better way to die than trying to literally kill yourself first. I'm not sure who regulates this but if anyone could tell me I would sure like to give them a piece of mind along with the RSPCA and any other animal organisation that I can contact. To me I just think its shit!

Hi Danielkrupski, I agree with you. The General Hercules is a top bloke and I feel sorry for him, Apollo was a champion companion. They should have an antidote for these baits, if I lost my dog I would be devastated.

Waz :(

Many people assume that the baits must be just dropped on the ground. They are not. The baits are usually no-where near human habitation. They are laid on or near animal trails away from any camping sites. The baits are buried and then the dirt is heaped up on top of the bait. It is then marked with a stick or ribbon of some kind to mark the spot. After the baiting program is finished, the old baits are removed. They are removed because after a set date it is illegal to leave them there. If a dog ate a bait the owner was obviously not paying attention to his animal, or the animal was left to roam free. If you take your dog camping, keep it tethered. Pretty simple prevention I reckon, just in case there are baits in the area. Yes it is sad that someone lost their mate, and I feel for them. But Im sure if I put a couple of pics up of why baiting programs on wild dogs is carried out, Im sure Nugget would remove them quick smart as they are rather disturbing to see what damage a couple of dogs can do to livestock. :(

my mate had to clean up body eaten by wild dogs not nice they are big danger to every one

In WA in a couple of areas the bait is chuck out the window as they are driving along tracks. Meat cut about 7 x 7 cms which is socked in the poison and which just looks like black quarts rocks. We have taken dogs for at least 15 years and are always careful we check before we camp and dont let them run around if we did we would use the muzzle which has never yet been used but there is always a first time. Yes there are also marked traps also. Buried ones I dont know about. Wild dogs cause alot of damage. Baits are a part of detecting in WA and people should be aware of this if they take their dogs. I just had my little one die last week from a tick which is something we never even throught about at the coast on the long weekend so that was our stupidity which was a hard lesson to learn just as bait poison would be also

Sorry to hear that Daniel, where you have sheep you also have 1080 fox bait. It's well regulated and as Pete highlighted its part of farm management.

Latest posts