Bacon

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw a big sign the other day which was an advertisement for a large processed foods company, and the sign stated Australia's Most Loved Bacon.
The only problem I have with the statement, and I dare say the it is 100% true, is that all the packages of bacon that I have found under this brand, only has 11% or less Australian content. Having read up on this as I was surprised what with the pig disease in Asia etc, I would have thought that we Aussies would be eating our own bacon.
It appears that bacon and the like is imported up to 80% and only pork i.e. leg, whole etc. is processed in Oz.
I like my bacon, eggs, toast and a cuppa and have found one brand Bertocci to be 100% Aussie and the Hickory Smoked is yummo.
Just my 10 cents worth.
Sorry for the rant.
Mackka

Yesterday I waited patiently outside the shop with the hound while the Mrs went inside to grab a few things........................................... 20mims later she emerges with a small bag..........w.t.f........

Apparently she spent the best part of 15min trying to find some Australian bacon and didnt want give up.

This morning, a few flying Fs emanated from the kitchen ......... 10% ....... she was certain victory had been achieved the day before stating she had found one pack that was Aussie owned and 100%.

She paid far more than 10c for the privilege of being disappointed too 8.(

My youngest daughter (nearly 10) is known in the household as "The Bacon Bandit". Unattended bacon is not safe, and any meal is her "favorite" if it has bacon in it. If Mrs Deepseeker or myself are about to cook something for dinner, a voice can be heard "What's for dinner?", and usually followed by "Is there Bacon in it?". :)

I would have thought it would be easy to find Aussie bacon? Every day, smelly trucks full of squealing pigs go past our shop on the main road. If you are caught unawares outside when one does, it is the smell from hell, only exceeded in its stench by the dead cow truck that occasionally rolls past with its bloated cargo with their hooves pointing skyward. Perhaps all those piggies I see, hear, and smell are on their way to become hams instead?

Funny, this subject came up today and I was salivating at the thought of home made bacon and how I have not made any for ages.

I have heard a lot of our pork comes from overseas and it is only guaranteed Aussie if it still has the bone in. Been a few discussions on some other forums. Don't know how true that is but it would not surprise me.

LoneWolf said:
I just buy Bacon... Can't afford the good stuff... Like everything else, Price wins me... Sad I know but just a fact for me...

I haven't had a piece of Lamb in 18mths, that's a real luxury for me... 8.(

LW....

Me too :drooling: 8.( 8.( 8.(

goody2shoes said:
What is Lamb?

Have cheap mince and chicken breath's

Bacon at time's as I like putting bacon in to my fry rice when I make it,

Eat a lot of salads and veggies

Goody

Never tried Chicken Breath, does it come in a small plastic bag? and you release it over your stir fry just before serving? :lol: :lol:

Oh Goody you really need to stop using predictive text... :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I know You Need too... ;)
LW....

Only joking Goody.... Sorry, you can punch me when We meet... :argh: :8

Chicken, Fish and Eggs are the most consumed meals in our House... And some Bacon ....

I failed English at school... Teacher and I just didn't get along..... Mrs Wolf is my 'speller'.... :lol:

LW...

Latest posts