Bacon

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will more than punch you LW :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will make you take me for a walk every day I am there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Goody ;)

xcvator said:
LoneWolf said:
I just buy Bacon... Can't afford the good stuff... Like everything else, Price wins me... Sad I know but just a fact for me...

I haven't had a piece of Lamb in 18mths, that's a real luxury for me... 8.(

LW....

Me too :drooling: 8.( 8.( 8.(
Me too.
I just get the cheapest 1kg lump at wollies.
It's probably warthog. :lol:

Hard Luck said:
Funny, this subject came up today and I was salivating at the thought of home made bacon and how I have not made any for ages.

I have heard a lot of our pork comes from overseas and it is only guaranteed Aussie if it still has the bone in. Been a few discussions on some other forums. Don't know how true that is but it would not surprise me.

That's right hard luck, a mate that is a butcher told me that a few years ago,there is some rules some where in the system that states pork can not be imported with the bone in it,might be something to do with bio security, he did not tell me the reason, and stupid me did not ask :(

sand surfer said:
Hard Luck said:
Funny, this subject came up today and I was salivating at the thought of home made bacon and how I have not made any for ages.

I have heard a lot of our pork comes from overseas and it is only guaranteed Aussie if it still has the bone in. Been a few discussions on some other forums. Don't know how true that is but it would not surprise me.

That's right hard luck, a mate that is a butcher told me that a few years ago,there is some rules some where in the system that states pork can not be imported with the bone in it,might be something to do with bio security, he did not tell me the reason, and stupid me did not ask :(

Now you are talking, home made bacon :drooling: :drooling:a lot cheaper than buying it i do a 2 kilo slab every 3 weeks, HL do you smoke yours or cook in the oven i smoke mine, only single smoke the cook does not like double smoked bacon :Y:

sand surfer said:
sand surfer said:
Hard Luck said:

Now you are talking, home made bacon :drooling: :drooling:a lot cheaper than buying it i do a 2 kilo slab every 3 weeks, HL do you smoke yours or cook in the oven i smoke mine, only single smoke the cook does not like double smoked bacon :Y:

Depends what I am making sand surfer. By that i should clarify that I always hot smoke to a good internal of I think 165F.
If I'm making bellies I use a dry rub in plastic bags for about a week, If I'm using pork butts I brine for about 10 days, like my legs. Depending on size.

Here's some pics.

This is bellies in a dry rub. Supposed to turn once a day, but every other day is good enough.

1582532582_img_3292_medium.jpg

Hot smoking them and slicing.

1582534142_img_0009_medium.jpg

1582534142_img_3503_medium.jpg

1582534142_img_0056_medium_1.jpg

Abd brining and smoking, end result of the Pork butts. This is good as you can use it as a ham as well.

1582534378_img_0932_medium.jpg

1582534378_20160728_092701.jpg

1582534378_20160728_093822.jpg

1582534378_20160806_111256.jpg

1582534378_20160807_153538.jpg

Deepseeker said:
My youngest daughter (nearly 10) is known in the household as "The Bacon Bandit". Unattended bacon is not safe, and any meal is her "favorite" if it has bacon in it. If Mrs Deepseeker or myself are about to cook something for dinner, a voice can be heard "What's for dinner?", and usually followed by "Is there Bacon in it?". :)

I would have thought it would be easy to find Aussie bacon? Every day, smelly trucks full of squealing pigs go past our shop on the main road. If you are caught unawares outside when one does, it is the smell from hell, only exceeded in its stench by the dead cow truck that occasionally rolls past with its bloated cargo with their hooves pointing skyward. Perhaps all those piggies I see, hear, and smell are on their way to become hams instead?

I don't think you have ever been caught behind a road train full of feral goats on the narrow road between Theodore and Miles in Queensland.

Nothing could compare with that smell!

Looking good hard luck,i mainly use the loin cut as i like short cut bacon,i put it in zip lock bags for the week,never tried a neck but for a ham ,i cold smoke my hams the but fat will go rancid when smoking, the cure can not cure the fat properly.

Next time i am making salami's i will get a spare neck but and hot smoke it, sounds like it would be the quick ham trick.I can only do salamis here in winter, we have to much humidity here ,can not dry the skins if the skins stay wet no smoke penetration and they taste :awful:

Sometimes i get bone lazy and buy a piece of pickled pork ,the brining work has been done for you :lol:

If you have not, then try a piece of corned beef hot smoked, it gets a crust on the outside that is too salty to eat ,trim it of and go for it :drooling:

Worked at a 2000 sow intensive farming piggery for a few years, the smell is absorbed into your skin. No matter how many showers you have one can always tell a person working at these places.

Always got served a beer promptly at the bar regardless of the queue.

Love eating good pork still and great pics hard luck. Buying bulk and smoking would definitely be better than shelf shopping as usual.