Back from gloucester

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a nice time out that way this weekend. Went to a place near there that was known for agates first , down wenham coxs road past a coal mine. The creek had no water , just cow crap. And seemed a bit difficult to get onto without trespassing . So gave ita miss .
Found a couple of old mines and detected about to find what my father said was ' silver metal" or lead silver" ? Way down , gave me a gold sound on my GPX. Was big ... And deep . Had to move a hell of a lot of stuff out of the way to get to it!. So that's what I got ... Not much .
Will go back again , think I've found some good looking ground out there but is going to be a lot off work to get out there, who knows , will be back though .
One lady near a camping area there , who runs a b n b , suggested i take a heap of material to take home and wash since there was no water in the creek! I was surprised about her encouragement , as I don't consider that kosher . So had a poke around instead.
Anyone done much looking around that way?
Be interested to know

Barney

Doesn't hurt to knock on doors nearby and ask if they can tell you who owns the land

You can be surprised at getting some positive replies

Gentle respectful approach

I did that today and ended up chatting for 3 hours with a gentleman and his wife , the knowledge they can have on local history does have value , and its a pity that often the younger Gen aren't interested.

I will check my notes when I get back home and let you know if I can add anything on Gloucester

That Lead silver sound interesting, was it in a molten looking lump?

I can across this a few times in the early detecting times (1980's). What we found, we were told was lead solder from the old timers who used to pile up old tin cans over a fire and melt the solder out of them to sell for tucker money.

Latest posts