Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quotations are from Wikipedia

I had a few great years.
"Gold was first found in the area in 1869 but the main rush commenced in 1879, with over 20,000 people thronging to the gold diggings at Temora the district was proclaimed a gold field on June 4, 1880. Despite drought conditions, it is said that, by 1881, the Temora field was producing half the state's gold.[12] In 1881 the highest yield from the Temora field was attained - an Impressive 35,228oz.[13]

Some large discoveries were made, including the famous Mother Shipton nugget, which weighed in at 308.35 ounces, a facsimile of which appears in the Rock and Mineral Museum section of Temora Rural Museum."

I was named for a fake, or maybe not.
"Temora was named by John Donald McCansh. In September 1880 he told the Warwick Argus: "I took up the country for a sheep run in 1847, my sole companion being Valentine Lawler, who was then lessee of a station ('Nimbi') on Cunningham Creek. We could not ascertain the native name of the place as there were no blacks about, and rather than give it an English name, I called it 'Temora', the native name of a property near which I lived some years previously in another part of the Colony. I gave the station the name specially because it was aboriginal and I liked it. I did not know at that time, nor for years afterwards, that Temora was a name in Ossians poems."[6]Neither the Wiradjuri Dictionary (2010) nor the Macquarie Dictionary of Aboriginal Words (2006) lists "temora" or any words similar to it, but the Dharug language dictionary online defines "temora" as "a tree standing alone". [7] Alternatively, in the Celtic language it is derived from a term which means "an eminence commanding a wide view."

Ossian was the pen name of a Scottish Poet who claimed he was translating ancient poems he'd found ie fake. On the other hand, Temora isn't heavily wooded and does have a slight hill commanding a wide view, so maybe not ...

I run hot and cold.
Temora has a warm temperate climate, with cool to mild winters and warm to hot summers.[8] Under the Kppen climate classification, Temora has a borderline humid subtropical (Cfa) and semi-arid climate (BSk).[9]

Winters can be cool by Australian standards with the mean maximum temperature falling in July to 13.0 C (55.4 F) and a mean minimum of 2.1 C (35.8 F). The lowest temperature recorded at Temora was 6.4 C (20.5 F) on 12 July 1971.

By contrast, summers in Temora are warm to hot with a low Relative humidity. Mean maximum temperatures range between 29.6 and 31.5 C (85.3 and 88.7 F). The hottest temperature on record is 44.0 C (111.2 F) on 03 Jan 1990. Overnight minimums averaging between13.8 and 16.2 C (56.8 and 61.2 F).

There's plenty of flies on me.
As Manpa noted, when he temporarily picked up his towel O:) there is an active aviation scene here with a great Aviation Museum that has fortnightly flying weekend for a good chunk of the year, has the only two flying Spitfires in Australia, and is home to a roughly biannual airshow and a yearly (I think) sports aviation fly-in.

During WWII it was home to 10 Elementary Flight Training School (hence the street names in the airport housing development like Tenefts Street). "This School was the largest and longest-lived of the schools established under the Empire Air Training Scheme during World War II.[1]

More than 10,000 personnel were involved in operation of No 10 Elementary Flying Training School. More than 2,400 pilots were trained at the School. The School at its peak had 97 de Havilland Tiger Moth aircraft used for training purposes. The school was closed on 12 March 1946."

I used to keep up a good pace. <- this is the horse clue (I'm not naming the horse, that would be a giveaway )
"Paleface Adios (19691989) was an Australian harness racing horse which competed as a pacer throughout the 1970s and early 1980s. He raced from 1972 to 1981, (from the age of two years until he was retired at the age of 11 years) when there was top competition from the likes of the Hondo Grattan and Pure Steel.

He was a chestnut Standardbred pacer with a white blaze and feet, and a golden mane. Paleface Adios was foaled on 1 November 1969, at Temora,

He was nicknamed The Temora Tornado, in honour of the town where he was bred and trained.

Paleface Adios had 240 starts, for 108 wins (second to Cane Smoke for the all-time most wins in a lifetime [bred in Australia]),[18] 43 seconds and 25 thirds over his career[19] for more than $500,000 in prizemoney.

In the early 1990s Paleface Adios was included in a satirical song honouring Australian sporting legends presented by Graham and The Colonel on ABC TV's The Late Show.

Paleface Adios died at Temora, NSW, on 11 December 1989. It is believed that this was a result of a snake bite but this was never confirmed. He is commemorated by a life-sized monument in Hoskins Street, the main street of Temora.

People say I am very friendly.
"Temora has been reported as being the friendliest town in New South Wales, following a series of mentions in the Sydney Morning Herald's Column 8, which organised a bus trip to the town for Sydney readers in 2005"

I am a place.
Obvious when you know the answer, but plenty of the early guesses fitted some of the other clues, so this narrowed it down. At this point, or especially after I said it was where I lived and that it was in South East Australia, looking at my posts would have shown that I mentioned places like Temora, Junee, Young, and got you into the area, if not the town

British convicts sent to Australia for the first time and placed in penal colonies, prior to this they were sent to America and put into indentured servitude

Nope

Late 1700's
This was a first for Australia
In hindsight - this may have been the first step in male female equality (in my humourus opinion)
The long drop - as it were

Nope

Late 1700's
This was a first for Australia
In hindsight - this may have been the first step in male female equality (in my humourus opinion)
The long drop - as it were
A crime was committed

Haha

the king of Australian History has returned in fine form.
Welcome back xcvator :Y:

Over to you.

Wiki
Anne Davis 23 November 1789 The first woman hanged in Australia. A thirty-year-old convict, she was found guilty of theft from a fellow convict at Sydney Cove. She claimed to be pregnant to avoid the noose and some old women were instructed to inspect her. One of the women told the court, "Gentlemen, she is as much with child as I am".[4]

Latest posts