Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first authentic gold discovery, by Captain Thomas Terrell, during an oppressively hot April day in 1846 gave rise to the first gold mine (Victoria Mine) in Australia.

It was not in New South Wales or Victoria but at present day Castambul, in the Adelaide Hills. On 22 December 1845, Frederick Wicksteed paid 799 into the Colonial Treasury, on behalf of the Victoria Mining Company.

Cheers Manpa,

Who am I ?

Q1) My very first invention won first prize at a show

Q2) 5 years later I was awarded 500, a gold medal and 260 hectares of land

10th may 1889 the shipwreck of the Loch Sloy near Brothers Island was telegraphed in by the Cape Borda lighthouse keeper, 4 survivors and 30 lives lost

Japan Airlines Flight 123 was a scheduled domestic Japan Airlines passenger flight from Tokyo's Haneda Airport to Osaka International Airport, Japan. On August 12, 1985, a Boeing 747SR operating this route suffered a sudden decompression twelve minutes into the flight and crashed in the area of Mount Takamagahara, Ueno, Gunma Prefecture, 100 kilometres (62 miles) from Tokyo thirty-two minutes later. The crash site was on Osutaka Ridge, near Mount Osutaka.
Casualties of the crash included all 15 crew members and 505 of the 509 passengers.

7.62marksman said:
Japan Airlines Flight 123 was a scheduled domestic Japan Airlines passenger flight from Tokyo's Haneda Airport to Osaka International Airport, Japan. On August 12, 1985, a Boeing 747SR operating this route suffered a sudden decompression twelve minutes into the flight and crashed in the area of Mount Takamagahara, Ueno, Gunma Prefecture, 100 kilometres (62 miles) from Tokyo thirty-two minutes later. The crash site was on Osutaka Ridge, near Mount Osutaka.
Casualties of the crash included all 15 crew members and 505 of the 509 passengers.

And just what part of your answer is Australian History?

Keep guessing folks.

Cheers

Doug

Australian POWs

only four (Sticpewich, Botterill, Short, & Campbell) survived the lingering effects of their ordeal to give evidence at various war crimes trials in both Tokyo and Rabaul.
The world was able to receive eyewitness accounts of the crimes and atrocities committed.
Captain Hoshijima was found guilty of war crimes and hanged on 6 April 1946.[9] Capt Takakuwa and his second-in-charge, Capt Watanabe Genzo, were found guilty of causing the murders and massacres of prisoners-of-war and were hanged and shot on 6 April 1946 and 16 March 1946 respectively.

Latest posts