Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Toohey, born in Limerick, migrated to Aust with his parents where his brother James was born, the brothers starting Tooheys Brewing in the late 1800s and is still in business.

Lordo.1 you are correct.

"John Furphy was 22 when he began his blacksmith and wheelwright business in 1864. Born in Moonee Ponds in Melbourne in 1842 to Irish immigrant parents and subsequently raised in the Yarra Valley before the family moved to Kyneton, where he completed an apprenticeship with the firm Hutcheson and Walker, John began operations of his own in Piper St in Kyneton in Central Victoria. This began a business that would continue to flourish and carry his name over 150 years later having employed members of 4 subsequent generations of the Furphy family along with many more. The original business very much revolved around servicing the needs of the small agricultural community of Kyneton and Johns efforts met with success. John would go on to relocate his business and add a foundry to the business and inventing and producing various farm and agricultural implements including one of the most famous items of farm equipment in Australia which would lead to his name becoming part of the Australian language. In addition to this he successfully brought his sons into the partnership which began a succession that has led to this business maintaining family ownership and management today almost 100 years after his death in 1920"

Over to you. :Y:

Cheers

Doug

PS, Manpa good guess but not the right answer.

Just a who am i.

Born Adelaide in 1898 Died in 1968
My father was a boot maker
I am most noted for my contributions to science & medicine
Won a nobel prize in physiology in 1945

More clues to follow but shouldnt be required

Howard Walter Florey, Baron Florey,OM,FRS,FRCP(24 September 1898 21 February 1968) was an Australianpharmacologistandpathologistwho shared theNobel Prize in Physiology or Medicinein 1945 withSir Ernst ChainandSir Alexander Flemingfor his role in the development ofpenicillin.

i made a mistake sorry the first one shoud have read

third eldest son of eight children
It remains uncertain which day he was born on due to a lack of detailed records

Sir Howard Florey, who was a one third winner in conjunction with Alexander Fleming and Ernst Chain for the work and discovery in reference to penicillin.

third eldest son of eight children
It remains uncertain which day he was born on due to a lack of detailed records

1: third eldest son of eight children
2: It remains uncertain which day he was born on due to a lack of detailed records
3: Before he was declared an outlaw, there were an incredible amount of accusations thrown at him and other members of his family by neighboring farmers of stealing livestock.
Many have argued that this was a case of their community turning on them unfairly due to his fathers past, while others say that that its an example of the family being born to no-good behavior.

Sisters of Mercy
The first Sisters of Mercy to cross from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere were Ursula Frayne rsm and her six companions who traveled from Dublin on a ship called The Elizabeth.
They arrived in western Australia in 1846, took a riverboat to Perth and established a new foundation in order to meet the educational needs of the pioneering society.
minister in both urban and rural Australia.
They are educators, theologians, scripture scholars, writers and publishers, researchers, archivists, historians, musicians, artists, environmentalists, ecologists, bio-ethicists, ecumenists, canon lawyers and lawyers.

Latest posts