Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MegsyB007 said:
Can we try something different this time? 20 Questions for you to guess it in. I can answer only yes or no...
Be sure to check previous questions before asking and choose wisely...

Who am I?

I don't make the rules, but why not :lol:
Born in Australia?

WildManDan said:
MegsyB007 said:
In 1797 coal was discovered at the mouth of the Hunter (or Coal) River in NSW by Lieutenant Shortland, and in this case, the deposits being more easily worked than the coal discovered in the cliffs southward of Point Solander earlier that year, it was not long before they were utilised, and a township sprang up which is now the port of one of the greatest coalfields in the world? That's Newcastle...

Blimey you're onto it!
Newcastle indeed.

Bonus fact : in 1890 the deepest vertical shaft in the world was at Richmond Vale colliery (Hunter Valley) at 609 ft.

Over to you Megsy :D
Possibly deepest in NSW or deepest coal shaft in Australia. Coal shafts reached 1,000 feet in England by 1800, Bendigo mines such as the Great Extended Hustlers reached over 1,000 feet by 1871 and there were many others that depth in Victoria prior to 1890 (Clunes, Stawell, Walhalla). The Victoria Quartz mine at Bendigo had a 4,870 foot shaft prior to 1900, and it takes a while to dig to that depth, but a lot of mining at Bendigo got a new surge of life with the 1890s depression so I don't know the exact date that it reached that depth. There were also deeper gold mines in the USA and elsewhere.

Latest posts