Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xcvator said:
John Blake

Myall Creek near Bingara was the site of one of the worst incidents in Australia's history in which up to 30 Aborigines were massacred by European settlers on 10th June 1838. After two trials, seven of the 12 settlers involved in the killings were found guilty of murder and hanged. The case led to significant uproar among sections of the population and the media, sometimes voiced in favour of the perpetrators.

John Fleming, the leader of the massacre, was never captured, and was allegedly responsible for further similar massacres throughout the Liverpool Plains and New England regions. John Blake, one of the four men acquitted at the first trial and not subsequently charged, committed suicide in 1852. His descendants say that they like to think he did so out of a guilty conscience.
John Fleming appears to have been known and to have died of old age:
https://www.tracesmagazine.com.au/2014/06/the-myall-creek-massacre-re-examined/

Maybe William Lockhart Morton (1820-1898), pastoralist, explorer and inventor, was born on 19 December 1820 at Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire, Scotland. ????

I am going to have to look him up tathradj as I have never heard of him.

I was born in England 1845 and came to Victoria with my family six years later

Okay, who am I
I held a prominent position in Queensland but was actually born in Western Australia in 1914.

Wow, didnt think youd get that from the first clue, well done and over to you WildManDan.

Air Marshal Sir Colin Thomas Hannah, KCMG, KCVO, KBE, CB (22 December 1914 22 May 1978) was a senior commander in the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and a Governor of Queensland. Born in Western Australia, he was a member of the Militia before joining the RAAF in 1935. After graduating as a pilot, Hannah served in Nos. 22 and 23 Squadrons from 1936 to 1939. During the early years of World War II, he was the RAAF's Deputy Director of Armament. He then saw action in the South West Pacific as commander of No. 6 Squadron and, later, No. 71 Wing, operating Bristol Beaufort bombers. By 1944, he had risen to the rank of group captain, and at the end of the war was in charge of Western Area Command in Perth.

Hannah commanded RAAF Station Amberley, Queensland, in 194950, and saw service during the Malayan Emergency as senior air staff officer at RAF Far East Air Force Headquarters, Singapore, from 1956 to 1959. His other post-war appointments included Deputy Chief of the Air Staff from 1961 to 1965, Air Officer Commanding (AOC) Operational Command from 1965 to 1967, and AOC Support Command from 1968 to 1969. In January 1970, he was promoted to air marshal and became Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), the RAAF's senior position. Knighted in 1971, Hannah concluded his three-year appointment as CAS a year early, in March 1972, to become Governor of Queensland. He attracted controversy in this role after making comments critical of the Federal government of the day, and the British government refused to agree to his term being extended. Hannah retired in March 1977, and died the following year

When somebody says history I get giddy :D

Where was the first coal mine in the southern hemisphere?

Points for specificity!

In 1797 coal was discovered at the mouth of the Hunter (or Coal) River in NSW by Lieutenant Shortland, and in this case, the deposits being more easily worked than the coal discovered in the cliffs southward of Point Solander earlier that year, it was not long before they were utilised, and a township sprang up which is now the port of one of the greatest coalfields in the world? That's Newcastle...

MegsyB007 said:
In 1797 coal was discovered at the mouth of the Hunter (or Coal) River in NSW by Lieutenant Shortland, and in this case, the deposits being more easily worked than the coal discovered in the cliffs southward of Point Solander earlier that year, it was not long before they were utilised, and a township sprang up which is now the port of one of the greatest coalfields in the world? That's Newcastle...

Blimey you're onto it!
Newcastle indeed.

Bonus fact : in 1890 the deepest vertical shaft in the world was at Richmond Vale colliery (Hunter Valley) at 609 ft.

Over to you Megsy :D

Can we try something different this time? 20 Questions for you to guess it in. I can answer only yes or no...
Be sure to check previous questions before asking and choose wisely...

Who am I?