Australian Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, has been very cold this year in Adelaide. We had a fire in the hills with a few houses lost lit by a fire bug :N: , where I live though the fields still have a green tinge but I am sure next year will be bad again. I have removed all the gumtrees near my buildings and keep a a good 40 meters of green grass around the house but fortunately for me I have the water and space to do so. People have got to get there heads out of there arse when they consider having a native garden all around the house. I like my natives but keep in mind they love to burn. Also woodchip can be hard to put out. My friends drought proof native mulched garden almost cost him his house. Shade cloth on the eaves can also be problematic.

Rockhunter62 said:
All depends on the fuel load (old leaves, branches and undergrowth) as well. If you had big bushfires last season there will be hardly any fuel load to burn this season. These fuel loads increase over the years especially when red tape and greenies prevent you from doing controlled burns. ]:D

Cheers

Doug
it's not common knowledge because the mainstream media didn't report it but during the initial moments of last years big KI fires the pilots of the water bombers where ready to go but were prevented from doing so because they where concerned the fire retardent would hurt the gumtrees in the national park. Also last year's fires in cuddle creek were started because gumtree touched powerlines. Ironically local green groups had prevented the utility company from trimming all the trees in that area a few weeks before. Ironic :/

Rockhunter62 said:
All depends on the fuel load (old leaves, branches and undergrowth) as well. If you had big bushfires last season there will be hardly any fuel load to burn this season. These fuel loads increase over the years especially when red tape and greenies prevent you from doing controlled burns. ]:D

Cheers

Doug

Spot on doug. A fuel loading of around 5 tons / ha is managable for us fire fighfers. The scary thing is when I was doing bush fire risk assessments in an area of Perth hills I got some readings at over 70 tons / ha. Depending on the vegetation roughly a year is equal to about 1 ton / ha fuel loading.

Latest posts