Australian Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still burning, so give it time. I'm sure it won't stay long on 6.8m...

It's devastating, we still have 2 months of summer ahead of us. 500 million wildlife has died, i don't think we're ever going to know the real numbers.

Management of national parks stateforests and the like needs to be changed , the muppets locking them up to save the environment are the reason this distruction is so large scale .
Aboriginals managed the bush nicely ,
upto 50 years ago white man managed it well also ,
the green movement should be liable and the environment ministers and high end rangers should sacked and all policies regaurding bushland management be abolished ,
bring back spring time stock grazing rights and patch logging , atleast that way we will have logging tracks and 100 acre clearings every 10 klm and the livestock wil break down the feul load before summer.

Political ? Maybe ...but its true. A dozer driver was saying the leaf litter where he was putting fire breaks and trials in was 200 to 400 mm deep , with that feul load at the base of the trees you would be lucky to stop a fire on a rainy day.

ilikegoldalot said:
It's devastating, we still have 2 months of summer ahead of us. 500 million wildlife has died, i don't think we're ever going to know the real numbers.

When you count individual animals, Kangaroos, Wombats, etc, Birds & reptiles the numbers will be huge. When large tracts of forests burn wildlife has little chance of escape. I recall driving through an area near Omeo after a large fire in 2003, 6 weeks on and the place was like a nuclear war zone. I had driven through the area 12 years prior and it was pristine. After the fire it was blackened and silent, no birds, not a single green leaf in site, the experience has haunted me for years, i was only just talking with the person i was with on that day about it. The same area has a active fire front today ]:D 8.( :eek:

It can take years for wildlife to return from surrounding unburnt areas and the bush to grow back.

The Federal Government can not ignore the current disaster, this is NOT man made climate change it is man made peril!.
The Federal Government must legislate and order all states to return to the age old "cool burns!"
It won't prevent bushfires but it will, with out doubt reduce their intensity with fire break protection and locks will come of the gates to give access for our fire fighters.

I am shaking my head at how many chose to ignore all the warnings of staying clear of areas for their holidays!
Then became a much extra burden on resources in those areas.
Risking their families life and others, out of ignorance and stupidity!
:skull: :N:

Unbelievable how many were still there yesterday , shows the its never going to happen to me attitude.
As for the media having to broadcast warnings not to try and go there shows that they were still turning sticky beakers around at the road blocks.

mudgee hunter said:
I am shaking my head at how many chose to ignore all the warnings of staying clear of areas for their holidays!
Then became a much extra burden on resources in those areas.
Risking their families life and others, out of ignorance and stupidity!
:skull: :N:

Yes

But doesnt that also come back on the political powers that be not being clear enough in communicating the dynamics and scale involved through the media ?

The fact 40,000 people went on holiday in the affected areas would suggest people were not educated enough.

Some of this is down to weather conditions that changed drastically in a short period but I am sure the state or national Fire management might look for ways to provide more clarity for the civilian human factor in future.

I am not dumping :poop: on bushfire management here , just looking for ways to improve what exists.

Its a turbulent time, many emotions run deep.

Just like Black Saturday and many other fire disasters theres not much that can be done but respond, regardless of who made poor or bad decisions leading up to it.

I have only recently started to view some footage of previous and current fires after many years of not wanting to watch fire catastrophies.

Share your views guys just remember some have hurt and are hurting with whats going on right now.

Long after the fire fronts have past many hands will be needed, its always been that way. Thats when the truly human side comes out and we can all put our differences aside for the common good.

Its fine to have your say, as always Ill defend your right to say it, just be mindful theres a few of us out here who harbour experiences that get churned up during these times. Anyhow I wont post anything else on the topic, stay safe and be good to each other :Y:

Listening to the ABC this afternoon and an elderly man was talking, he was a local at Sussex Inlet, not sure if he had lost his house, but he went to the EVAC Centre only to find it closed, when he asked why he was told that they had run out of food, the big problem was that the holiday makers in the area who never left when the opportunity was there were taking advantage of the free meals being offered to the Community. When he asked what he was supposed to do he was told to travel to the Club at Sanctuary Point, which was also full and not taking any more, but he had drive to the Princes Highway which is again closed until further notice. So he was stuck and there must be a lot more local people that are in the same position up and down the Coast..

Saw someone being interviewed on the WIN news about being in an area that maybe affected by the fires, it was a few days before things got out of hand, and his comment to the reporter who asked what he was going to do was "I have paid for a 2 week holiday and I am going to have it" and walked off.

You have to wonder about attitude and common sense.

Graham

Listen to the Mayor of Alpine shire today,I was shocked at his thoughts of what we can't do

No cold burns,would upset easter tourists with smoke,but they would not be burning then.

Smoke would effect the grapes grown in the area.

This is the bottler.
Burning of is expensive,and cost to much to conduct.

What is this costing us now, lives and property!!!

I would say what a goose, is a dead set,you know what

I have just heard from friends of mine that live in Kangaroo Valley. They are uncertain if they have a home anymore as the fire went right through their property. They have been evacuated many days ago. I also have friends in Burrill Lake and they have been evacuated to the beach. This is so hard for me as I am normally one of the volunteers who try to stop the fires but at the moment I'm here in my home state of WA sitting on my back side doing nothing.

shakergt said:
I have just heard from friends of mine that live in Kangaroo Valley. They are uncertain if they have a home anymore as the fire went right through their property. They have been evacuated many days ago. I also have friends in Burrill Lake and they have been evacuated to the beach. This is so hard for me as I am normally one of the volunteers who try to stop the fires but at the moment I'm here in my home state of WA sitting on my back side doing nothing.
I heard on the news the whole island is gone wildlife and all

savage bitter said:
shakergt said:
I heard on the news the whole island is gone wildlife and all

Kangaroo valley is north of Nowra , kangaroo island is in South Australia

Kangaroo valley , Bundanoon , tallong , penrose are being smashed with 50 - 70 km winds pushing the fire and homes have been lost.

Hi Folks who agrees with me that bush fires to occur the weather does not have to be hot or even warm.

All it needs is a dry fuel load eg leaves sticks etc..... and wind that's all and of course a source of the fire like a an ignition point thats it.

The fuel load drier the fire will latch on quicker if its like green the fuel load the fire will still continue but will take slower to move.

Of course wind is a big factor too. And wind speed and direction too.

So far this summer has been pretty bush fire free in most parts of the country apart from the WA fires in December but Vic has had none and the summer in vic has been quite cool and more critical wetter.

Let me know thanks.

Vic has had just minor grass fires and that about it they are contained too in quick time.

A huge shout out to the CFA and SES they do a great job and very effective in getting on top of any fire.

Yellowmellow you are spot on. All you need for a fire is fuel, heat and oxygen. This season we had a fairly quite year in WA until the recent Wooraloo fire. Unfortinaly we lost 80 odd homes but no lives. I even got called to go with a strike team we sent from Esperance but could not go because I was stuck at work.

Latest posts