Aus post BEWARE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
have reviewed your request for compensation and on this occasion I am not able to provide any. You have stated that the contents was gold nuggets. As per our terms and conditions this is classed as bullion and is a prohibited substance. Bullion means any precious metal, in a lump or bulk form, in a pure or impure state, in a refined or unrefined state, and includes ingots and nuggets, As such I am not able to provide any compensation.

1 gram parcels so covered by insurance up to $100.

3 out of 20 parcels so far.

Now here's the kicker this is the rest of the email.
highly recommend purchasing extra cover for any item valued $100 and above for any future lodgements. Thank you for your ongoing assistance, patience and understanding. This case will now be closed.

don't write anything about "GOLD" on the parcel, instead write "Metal Parts" or perhaps "rock specimen"

I know we used to write metal parts when sending gold through Auspsost express

cheers dave

Compensation team requested

proof of sale. (reciept)

photo of item

Thanks for trying a work around appreciated.

I would tke this matter further up the line with Auspost.

Ive had a package of nuggets go missing last year and after waiting about 3 months for it to arrive at the address I lodged to appropriate inquiry with them and was phone up in about 15 minutes and compensation was paid into my account the next day including the refund of the Express postage. I didnt add the extra insurance to cover the total cost but was paid the standard $100.

There is no definition of Bullion in the Auspost Shedule 1 Extra Cover T and Cs, so the standard and common definition of bullion should apply.

Dont take thier BS

8 Articles for which the Service is unavailable
8.1 No monies are payable under the Service for loss or damage relating to the carriage
of articles:
8.1.1 containing bank notes, or bullion;

Thanks for your input Bob but it seems they have crossed that bridge now.
schedule 1 july 2019

I will still have a crack.

Push it harder bloke as no matter what they write in the fine print as they are a business being paid for a service, under Australian Consumer Law they have a "duty of care"
Note Aust Post are not common carriers as most other freight companies are
I got a compensation several days ago for a hundred dollars sooooooooooooooooooo >>>>>>>>

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/vCadcBR95oU[/video]

Gem in I said:
8 Articles for which the Service is unavailable
8.1 No monies are payable under the Service for loss or damage relating to the carriage
of articles:
8.1.1 containing bank notes, or bullion;

Thanks for your input Bob but it seems they have crossed that bridge now.
schedule 1 july 2019

I will still have a crack.

Don't quote their rules as they are just their rules they write which mean nothing as no matter what they write they cannot overwrite consumer laws. Just hit them with duty of care. They cannot just accept payment plus your item and when POOF is disappears into thin air and say bad luck ? Thats when Aust consumer law comes in.
Good luck with it

I also threw a gubstake post at em from 2017 regarding article 8

:lol: :goldnugget: :power:

Also don't forget the Commonwealth Postal Ombudsmen if you don't get anywhere with auspost.

I recently had to involve the Banking Ombudsmen in a dispute I was having with ANZ. ANZ refused to discuss the issue after declaring they were right and that was that. After getting the Ombudsmen involved they suddenly changed their mind, credited my account with the money they stole and paid me compensation

I would also mention taking the matter to the Ombudsmen if you don't seem to be getting anywhere

while the Extra Cover schedule does not define: "bullion", our dangerous goods guide does. Section D3.3 defines "bullion" as: "D3.3 is a lump or bulk metal, pure or impure, refined or unrefined. Bullion includes ingots but excludes manufactured items, such as jewellery. Australia Post prohibits bullion in all services."

This would encompass the nuggets sent prior to refinery, meaning that they are excluded from carriage using Registered Post or any of our other services. As this letter's contents were prohibited, we are unable to compensate for their loss.

I hope that this has served to clarify this matter. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

Soooooo I think I have exhausted this wall with my head banging. Time to walk around it now and realise I've actually been posting some nice earrings (jewellery) now to scrounge up some photos of nice nugget earring pieces.

Latest posts