Attack in the park.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not good guys, glad no one was seriously hurt. Though an unprovoked assault on any person over the age of 60 is classed as serious assault, with up to 7 years imprisonment, plus assault causing harm would most likely be added to the list. I would be inclined to at least report it, as it may well occur again, and possibly to someome who is less likely to be able to defend themselves. It's not your standard assault case, as such people can be unpredictable, can't be reasoned with, and can show abnormal amounts of strength when under the influence. Something to think about anyway.

Glad that you came through it okay Karl. It seems a common thread here re the attackers condition - my wife is attending a medical training course in St Kilda (Melbourne) and my 19 year old son drives her to and from for the 2 days of the course every week for 20 weeks so far. Two weeks ago he arrives, parks the car and waits for mum to come out of the building, they'll sit in the car and have a quiet chat about their day before joining the peak hour "rat race" to travel home. However 2 weeks ago some "crazy" approached the car running with a chair held above his head yelling "I know who you are and I now what you're up to" and took a swing at the car however my son summed up the situation as it was evolving and got the car started and moving off just as the chair was descending downwards towards the roof above the front passenger where the wife was sitting. Could have been ugly if the attacker was not seen or there was no quick exit. Said son has now fitted a hand held fire extinguisher in the driver side footwell in case he needs it on Thursdays and Fridays in a certain street in St Kilda.

casper

I just panic these days.... Leaves me a mess, but can not let it stop me..

Last time I protected my self - 4 drunks (2 women) it cost me $50K plus in legal bills.. Drunk or not it came back to 4 vs 1 as to what happened, and while the police let it go, one of teh males pressed charges. So had to defend my self, or a guilty finding would open up damages claims...

PS. After the other night - I now carry a can of WASP spray from bunnings, with my fishing tackle. Can reach 4M plus with special nozzle...

Handy when your lure upsets a big wasp nest and you need to clear the nest and wasps out....

Goldpick said:
Not good guys, glad no one was seriously hurt. Though an unprovoked assault on any person over the age of 60 is classed as serious assault, with up to 7 years imprisonment, plus assault causing harm would most likely be added to the list. I would be inclined to at least report it, as it may well occur again, and possibly to someome who is less likely to be able to defend themselves. It's not your standard assault case, as such people can be unpredictable, can't be reasoned with, and can show abnormal amounts of strength when under the influence. Something to think about anyway.
Well I had good thought about it when I got home. I'm not entirely sure if the guy was on drugs or psychiatric case. If he was on drugs he most likely won't remember anything about it tomorrow. If he is real basket case, even if cops pick him up and take him to the hospital, he will be kicked out in few days. And those mental health guys can be very vindictive and have long memory. I just don't want to watch my back all the time.
If he approach me again in agressive way, of course I will report him, but for now I let it rest..
Karl

AtomRat said:
I dont know if its worth mentioning or not, but there are hand held security units that were usually for preventing purse stealers, but can also be used to ward off some attackers. They have a little lead that you simply pull and the correct decibel level blasts from the speaker enough to dissorient the unexpected person for a short time. It can cause nautiousness and vommiting on some too. Exposing yourself to it several times gets you used to it, but at the same time causing deafness. It may be an option. They can be heard for quite some distance, my parents used to sell them.
Would be nice to see a little pop out device like that with a super bright LED strobing effect along for the ride as well,.... maybe a strong capacitor ready for frontal tip dicharge for if they keep comming at you(they recharge pretty quick for a follow up sting n tickle),.... leave them temporarily disorientated and fearful of another bite of the same(maybe),.... if not,.... then and only then resort to the trowel and steel caps(yes I always wear mine"even detecting") :rolleyes: :eek: :p :D ;)

Sad to hear that Karl, Glad you come out ok from it.
Society is going down the trash chute....very sad

Yep society is going to pieces very rapidly. Look what happened on the Gold Coast yesterday when that fella was coward kicked and robbed - UNDER A SECURITY CAMERA. He has given himself up once he saw himself on TV.
Pricks!!!!
Jaros :mad:

Sorry to hear of your experience KarlS :( There's always someone to ruin a good time.

I suppose though it's been good reading everyone's experiences. Just reinforces why I take someone with me when I head out. Couldn't imagine males approaching me (female) and being aggressive or drunk

What part of Blacktown was it?
I grew up in Doonside,and trust me the place has changed and not for the better....
My mother had a ice dealer next door....the cops knew what she was doing even had a raid and took her money.....
The other side has cameras caught the whole thing even with sound...
Not worth saying a thing tbh...

Wasp spray = 3 x Mace and Pepper spray combined..

And the 4M directional spurt is great... Little chance of a cloud of spray and self applied..

some old buggers should never be put in a compromising(big word) position.. you never know.. the old fart will hit you over the head with his shovel ... :/

Years ago it would have just been some drunk moron looking to pick a fight. You probably could have flattened the prick.
These days its more than likely some kind of illicit drug, where they are so much more unpredictable.
Its a sad fact, but its just a fact of life these days.

Similar thing happened to me one morning while out taking photo's (I'm an amateur photographer).
I was walking back from the beach at around lunchtime on a stinking hot day (40c) and spot a guy walking towards me with a mohawk, Jeans and Ugg boots on. I immediately thought "Here we go". He gets close to me and says "What you looking at ya skinny white ****?". I nearly laughed at that point because I am 6 foot 6 and weigh 125kg... hardly skinny and this guy is so pale I reckon he would glow in the dark and looks like he hasn't eaten since 1989. He continues to yell abuse and threats as he walks past.

I am carrying a couple of grand worth of camera gear and decided to ignore the cretin and luckily he kept on walking. If it was early morning or night time I reckon I would have had a fight on my hands though. There was a few cars on the road and the area is covered with security cameras which probably saved me losing or breaking my camera gear in a fight.

I contacted the cops and it turns out they arrested him about 3 hours later for verbally assaulting and threatening to physically assault a female cashier at a bottleshop. They used my statement when he went to court for that offence which from what the police told me helped paint a picture to the judge of what sort of toolbag this guy really is.

This meth (Ice) stuff getting around now is a big problem.

Latest posts