Attack in the park.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlS

Karl
Reaction score
After detecting in all sort of places for about twenty years I was actually physically attacked by some nutcase this morning. Guy in his mid twenties come from behind me yelling to give him gold and detector. I told him politely to to leave me alone The guy told me that if I don't give him my detector and gold (???) he will have my car tow away. By this time it was obvious that I'm dealing with some sort of nut or someone on drugs. Told him to pissed off or I will call cops. He tried to snatched my detector and after I evaded him I got my phone and tried to dial 000. I have to evade barrage of wild swings and couple well aimed kicks on my head. By that time I had enough of this so I pick up my trowel from the ground and hit him wiht it couple times on his foot when he kicked at me. That seems to do the trick and with lot of abuse and , I know who you are I will get you, he went away. I tried to continue detecting, but couldn't concentrate so after about fifteen minutes I gave up and went home.
Only $2.70 for all this troubles. I think I will give this park miss for while.
Karl

Sorry to hear you went through that.

Have you given the cops any details yet?
He might be known to them.

I was fishing last Sunday night, high vis cloths and in a well let area. But for once, no one else around.

Live bait bucket, 2 rods fishing gear.

Guy mid 20's to min 30's with no shirt on a pushbike pulls up- maybe drunk or off his face.

I want your shirt; mine is dirty. ?????

Usually it is - Catching any thing...

I say, how you going, nice night for a ride.

He gets off the bike, and advances and says "Want your shirt "

I put rod down, pick up a bright high powered torch and turn it on - pointed at his feet and grab my fishing knife (but held down and to my side).

He chuckles and stepped forward.

I shon the light in his face and asked if he truly wanted to come any closer!!!

He is then swearing and verbally abused me and then got on his bike and took off.

I RANG MY SON - LIVES 800M AWAY.

He came down.. I had the shakes...

Kept fishing for 30 min and gave up... Fished here for years and never had this b4.

And only got a baby jack..

KarLS - bloody scary as if they are messed up on meth... no good.

1449110111_2015-11-29_21.01.55_medium.jpg

Geez that's a crappy thing to happen to you Karl. I hope you're doing alright now.
Jon

I can empathise with you KarlS, sounds like you played your cards well though. hard as it is, forget about him, cause he will have forgotton about you (not saying dont report him etc).This is just how some people roll. sad.

Whole episode doesn't affect me much, but I have learn few things. At 68 I'm bit out of my prime, not much problems with one guy but if there were two or more I would be in trouble. Mobile phone is fairly useless in such a situation, fending off an attack and trying to see the screen in bright light, it is impossible to dial any number. This happen 9 30 in the morning, so there goes my theory that you are safe detecting in the mornings becouse all the weirdos are stil in the bed.
Almost always my interaction with people using the parks and sports fields has been positive.
Karl

Stru said:
I can empathise with you KarlS, sounds like you played your cards well though. hard as it is, forget about him, cause he will have forgotton about you (not saying dont report him etc).This is just how some people roll. sad.

In the end I did not call the cops, it just was not worth of hassle. As you said he probably won't remember a thing when he snaps out of it.
Karl

Karl

At just shy of 60, i felt out of my depth...

And as my son said... Just ring the police or him...

Bit hard to enter password, dial 000 wait and speak to the operator while some one is having a go.

Glad you came out of it in one piece.. Take care.

AngerManagement said:
Karl

At just shy of 60, i felt out of my depth...

And as my son said... Just ring the police or him...

Bit hard to enter password, dial 000 wait and speak to the operator while some one is having a go.

Glad you came out of it in one piece.. Take care.

Exactly, guys don't rely on your mobile for help if you are under physical attack. It is impossible to make call in such a situation.
Karl

Sorry to hear about the unlucky encounters guys. Typical young idiots who think they are tough. Glad you both stood your ground, addicts can be extremely hard to deal with and unfortunately strong body language doesnt work on thier ego trip. You shouldnt have to deal with that sort of thing at all.

I dont know if its worth mentioning or not, but there are hand held security units that were usually for preventing purse stealers, but can also be used to ward off some attackers. They have a little lead that you simply pull and the correct decibel level blasts from the speaker enough to dissorient the unexpected person for a short time. It can cause nautiousness and vommiting on some too. Exposing yourself to it several times gets you used to it, but at the same time causing deafness. It may be an option. They can be heard for quite some distance, my parents used to sell them.

rocketaroo said:
I feel for ya, the bugger wouldave wore my digger for sure. So many aholes, drugs are cheap, and they dont give a toss who they hurt, to get what they want.

That's what I was trying to avoid. To get me in the situation when I would have to use more force and hurt him. With the laws as they are it would be most likely me who will finish in trouble. That's why I tried to call cops, to avoid the fight. Not because I was scared of him. Whole episode is anoying, but what one can do. I will not stop detecting because of one idiot.
Karl

We all really do open ourselves up to attack while out detecting. Even worse is that possibility when we are out bush, but reality is those messed up heads probably wouldn't be out bush cause they wouldn't be able to find it. Most who are really hard done by, and genuinely need help you can reason with, but its the junkie who's off his head who cant be reasoned with, no matter what. Ain't gunna stop me though. Love the detecting game too much.

Glad you're ok Karl, seems like you kept your cool and scared him off without being badly hurt or losing your detector. What a nutter..... They come out at any time of day.....

Bloke asked me for a light one night then refused to give my lighter back, then the bloke attacked me with a bottle. Anyway after putting him in a really nasty headlock until I nearly broke his neck and he almost passed out I released him just as the cops turned up so they could see him take a swing at me. Was great, I hurt him bad and then the cops took him away. :D

He was lucky my right arm doesn't work too good any more or I would have just elbowed him to the ground and errrr.... best left unsaid.....

I'm glad I did self defence (Zen Chi Ryu) as a young fella, has saved my backside a few times.

Last thing you need is some idiot off their face giving you a hard time. Glad no one was hurt badly. I wonder if reasonable force defence law allows for knocking them out with a spade? :)

Latest posts