AT Gold headphone issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if any one else has had problems with there head phones not working.
I plug my set in & turn the unit on & the signals still comes out of the external speakers not the headphones. Ive done the wobble test of the cable at the connector & also closed the female pins up a fraction incase they didn't have contact with the male pins.

Im wondering if its the headphones or an internal fault in my unit.

Any one else had similar problems with this model?

Cheers - hellhole.

Just an update:

Took the whole detector to the local store here & the lady there helped me by lending a new set of headphones & the audio still comes out of the unit :(
I've just sent emails off to Garrett USA to see what they can do, ill keep the thread updated incase any one else has similar problems.

Ramjet said:
Bugger. That's not good hellhole. I've heard good things about Garrett's customer service but mostly from Americans. Be interested to see how an Aussie goes. Maybe you could contact Garrett Australia.

Nope not at all Ramjet :(

I've already contacted Roy who is the Australian Garrett Importer & he was very helpful & professional.
It would be repairable at an estimated cost of around $400 including parts, But as it was an imported metal detector from USA Roy wasn't 100% sure about the chip/pcb if they differed from USA to Aus & suggested talking to Garrett USA direct first.

I'm in contact with some one there now will just wait & see what they can do for me now.

Hi

A: Cost $400 is the whole board

B: My guess is a failed component - but there are only a few of us that still do board repairs, suppliers in most cases are restricted to replace the unit OR the board.

That is the cost of progress..

Have just repaired 3 coffee machines due the the controller box failing. In every case it was a replaceable component and this is a common fault on many machines.

1 with a dead transformer ($18) and 2 with relay problems ( Approx $14 for each relay).

Price for the control box's ranged from $361 to $468 - In a commercial environment; need it now = do a board swap...

Problem is that they then BIN the faulty one... A little time and a few common parts and you could have an exchange unit... And offer a more cost effective service.

I have a few and it makes life much easer for those with home machines, where I can offer an exchange/rebuilt system. If not, then they are willing to wait a few days, and pay me $100 for parts and time Vs $300 plus...

I was having problems with my headphones in the ACE250, they went crap on me and another pair wouldn't work in them,... I tried another large adapter plug, still a problem, checked out both adapter plugs(visually) and one had a tip totally missing,.. still wouldn't work with the other one,.... $28 Jaycar headphones with adapter plug included,....worked fine,...feelings once problem solved,...PRICELESS.
Not saying this will be a fix for you HH, but worth the gamble, and you have a spare set of headphones regardless.

Have a talk to Phil at The Gold Mining Centre in Adelaide, he is the former Garrett distributor and an electronics technician, and can actually do repairs vs just replace whole boards. He may be able to help you out at a portion of the cost that Garrett are quoting, just google GMC for contact details.

Hellhole, try this because it may be that your black rubber grommet that holds the pins has separated from the connection at the spot where connection is made in the plug. How do I know? had it happen now twice. The first time it happened with my ATX's phones, thankfully bought from Aus and Roy replaced them, covered by the warranty. The next time it happened with the ATPro I got from US. I already have a set of phones that are the same as the ATX so its not a big deal for me but it is certainly a design hassle with the phones connection and plug. [If none of that is very clear let me know and msg me I have photos of my connection apart that I sent to Roy]

Latest posts